Here's the problem I have with MS (or maybe with just the way things are)...

Several years ago I bought a Compaq laptop with Vista, which had just come out. No problem I thought, I'll just replace Vista with XP. Wrong. As part of an agreement with MS, Compaq refused to support XP. The workaround was to use HP drivers, and for the most part it worked except for no wireless and the sound volume control was quirky. I fixed those problems with a USB ethernet and SoundBlaster card, and I use this laptop still today.

A more elegant solution was using Linux Ubuntu, everything worked fine, but I needed Windows.

I'll be buying a Win10 laptop soon and I'll just deal with the stupidity (e.g. going through hoops to turn off automatic updating, not good for satellite ISP users), I just don't care anymore.

Still using a Windows 2000 desktop for 90% of what I do, it just *feels* like a no-nonsense desktop OS (as does XP when I need to work on a laptop). The new Win10 laptop is going to replace my Win7 laptop once it finishes giving up the ghost, mainly for going online.