SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by DBond
is that the UI is horrible, pathfinding is poor, sieges are as bad as ever, battle maps are mostly featureless and the new merchants are poorly implemented. Maybe when it goes on sale I'll pick it up to see for myself, but at this point I'm not feeling it.



The UI is definitely not user-friendly and intuitive. It took me a few hours of playing before I "reprogrammed" my brain to get used to it. The pathfinding for armies and agents is no better or worse than the other TW titles. As for the merchants, I've had no problems using them. You can either send them to a city owned by another faction to initiate trade or you can send them to a unique resource location on the map to "monopolize" that resource.

I never played the original TW: Rome so this was definitely a good purchase for me.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
I'm happy you and the others seem to like it, but as I said I'm unconvinced at this price point. Maybe on sale. I did play Rome 1. As I said earlier in this thread I was really in to it at the time, but now I'd rate it at the bottom of the list compared to the rest of CA's stable of titles. It's an interesting project, this remaster, and even if I skip it I hope it does well in the hopes it may lead to the same treatment for Medieval 2.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
The UI takes some getting used to for sure. And there is some clunkiness there.

But the overall experience is great IMO. Here is a short clip regarding the upcoming mod; RTR: Imperium Surrectum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqDPcKjZpvg&ab_channel=CodyBonds

Last edited by Barkhorn1x; 05/12/21 01:56 PM.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by DBond
and even if I skip it I hope it does well in the hopes it may lead to the same treatment for Medieval 2.


I'd gladly pay $100 for a remastered Napoleon TW using the same graphics engine that is used by Troy or Three Kingdoms.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Out now:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?811335-RIS-version-0-1-0-has-been-released!


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
I have to say another major change with Rome Remastered that took me a while to get used to is the replenishment system for units. No more automatic replenishment as long as your army is in your territory. Now you have to manually "retrain" depleted units in one of your cities and that only works if you have a military recruitment building in the city that supports those units you want to replenish. There's definitely a lot more micromanagement now.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/17/21 12:25 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
I've commented on that system a number of times here, but more about Med 2 which has the same sort of recruitment and replenishment mechanics. It's part of why I call these games more strategic. It forces the player to make choices about how cities are built, civic or military, and it also forces the player to plan ahead, with reserves and rotation of armies in the line. Personally I really like this system, not just because of the constraints and demands it places on the player, but also because the AI plays by the same rules. Damaging an enemy army has more consequence, they can't just retreat out of sight and reappear a couple turns later more or less intact. As a result, battle outcomes have a more telling effect in the campaign.

There is a lot to be said about the more generous systems introduced afterwards, and honestly I like both systems for different reasons.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Good post DBond. You make several valid points.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Another big difference, unless it was added for the remaster, is the absence of auto-garrisons. Did that get added to the remaster? It's another layer of opportunity cost, as you need to 'spend' some of your military capital on garrisoning cities instead of throwing those boots in the line.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
DBond: There's still no garrisons, you have to build them yourself.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by DBond
Another big difference, unless it was added for the remaster, is the absence of auto-garrisons. Did that get added to the remaster? It's another layer of opportunity cost, as you need to 'spend' some of your military capital on garrisoning cities instead of throwing those boots in the line.



No, it was not added. I just recruit the cheap "town watch" units to serve as garrisons and you are correct that it does add another layer of thinking to the game.

Now there is TW Saga Britannia which is unique in that ONLY the major capital towns of each province have garrisons while all of the minor settlements have zero garrisons. if you want a garrison in a minor town you have to park units inside it.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Is the RTR-Imperium-Surrectum-(RIS) for the remastered edition of Rome ???


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Yes it is, or maybe more accurately, there is a compatible version

https://www.moddb.com/mods/rtr-imperium-surrectum


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Thanks DBond..Can't tell if it installed.I subscribed to it and started the game and hit the mod button but nothing seemed to happen.But there is a post that it got taken off the server.


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
"Egypt has a hellenistic roster now."

Should be easy enough to determine, if this is the case.


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Try out some of the historical missions in Rome 2 since you like to have a tough challenge DBond. smile

I highly recommend you play the "Battle of Zama" historical battle. If you can win that on your first attempt I will be very impressed.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Well I have to now, don't I? biggrin

I'll let you know how it goes if I remember to give it a go. I bet I have not played a single battle since Rome 1 (if it had them)

Always straight to campaign, you know?


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,676
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by rwatson
Thanks DBond..Can't tell if it installed.I subscribed to it and started the game and hit the mod button but nothing seemed to happen.But there is a post that it got taken off the server.


I was playing RSR yesterday w/ no issues.

Check out a custom battle and choose Rome - you should see a #%&*$# ton of legionaries. If you do you know it's working.


"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,020
Likes: 66
How has stability been for you guys so far? The game has already crashed on me twice: once when I clicked to auto-merge units in one of my armies and the other time when I was clicking through the tabs in the event notifications section.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
Strategerizer
Veteran
Strategerizer
Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,086
Likes: 80
In case it may still apply, I have a tip. It used to be, back in the Rome 1/Med 2 days, that governors and generals were much more likely to gain a negative trait if they remained idle in garrison too long. If they are sitting in a city turn after turn there was a much higher chance they'd end up a slovenly, flaccid, craven, hypochondriac hunchback with a lisp who is a bad at farming. So just about every turn I would take these characters and move them just outside the walls, and back again. The key is not to have them retain all of their movement points. As long as some movement points were used it would sharply reduce the chance that they would gain these bad traits.

I don't know if the remaster works this way, and obviously once your realm grows large this can be tedious to do. Not sure if it works this way in newer games, and frankly there are far fewer negative traits anymore. But old habits die hard and I still do this in any TW title just in case.

In case anyone is new to the game/series, the buildings in the city in which the character resides also have a big effect on which traits he may acquire.

Trait List


To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,069,687 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1