SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
Pebble sized rocks that are taking out my tanks.

Thats not exactly the quality I was looking for when I paid more than the normal price. This is something I expect in budget titles. Apparently a problem thats not going away either. I spend more time keeping my eye out for pebbles than I do the enemy, seems the rocks are the more dangerous of the two.

\:\(


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Well, the problem isn't easy to fix, actually. Of course, we could increase the tolerance of all vehicles against those rocks. But that's just doctoring with a symptom of an otherwise desirable feature: You need to set a threshold somewhere.

The real problem lies in some of the terrain themes that are being used in the scenarios. We can't remotely uninstall files that are on our customers' computers. The best strategy to deal with the whole issue is to open those scenarios that have these stones in the mission editor, and go to the "map info" menu. You can see which terrain theme file is responsible for the map. You then open the theme file in the map editor, and either take away the rocks from the terrain types where they cause pain, or shrink their size to, I think, 8% of the default size. Save the theme file. Go back to the mission editor, and load a different theme for the scenario, then load the old one (which you just fixed before), then save the mission.

Alternatively you can check for fixed scenario files at http://www.SteelBeasts.com . I admit that the whole issue stinks, but the workaround described above is the most reliable way to deal with the situation.


Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
Thank you Ssnake,

The email you sent was very clear as to why the problem exists, and the step by step procedure it editing the problem out was very welcome. Thank you for being very detailed in what I could do to work around this issue, and your explanation made sense.


Jim


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
You're welcome. Your inquiry has spurred us a bit to look into the whole situation once more; I guess that since most of the old-time users were applying the workaround some time ago the issue is not so urgent for most users anymore (so it tends to slip from our radar screens as well).

Yet concede that the workaround can't be the end of our remedial efforts. As much as I'd like to see a speedy solution, I'd like to see speedy solutions to many other open issues as well, and priority should be given to those issues that are similarly annoying but for which no workaround exists.

Thanks a lot for your understanding.


Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,608
G
Old School
Senior Member
Old School
Senior Member
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,608
And the above exchange is why I'm happy I paid $125 for the product. Know of any other devs that would do the same?


Regno, Regnavi, Sum sine regno, Regnabo
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,581
O
Senior Member
Senior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,581
Then again, how many games do you pay $125 for.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 125
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 125
Counting expansions or subscriptions?

NTM


Driver, Tracks, Troops...Drive and adjust!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 262
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 262
how about MMORPGs?


SB comes in 3 variations.

"SB2" "SB pro PE" and "SB pro".
"public" "pub/mil" "military"
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,581
O
Senior Member
Senior Member
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,581
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware SB pro was subscription or an expansion.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 125
3
Member
Member
3 Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 125
It's not. (At least, not for the first expansion or two)

But considering how much money I've paid on IL-2 or Dawn of War, SB suddenly doesn't look that bad.

NTM


Driver, Tracks, Troops...Drive and adjust!
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 9,859
M
Hotshot
Hotshot
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 9,859
Interesting though he we dont think twice about forking out hundreds for peices of hardware that will probably be replaced as soon as the nextest bestest thing comes out BUT baulk at the idea of paying a hundred odd follars for a "game".

Mailman

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
think about it ;

il-2 sturmovik,

il-2 Forgotten Battles

il-2 ace expansion pack

pacific fighters

il-2 complete edition

pe-2 addon

all of the campaign addons

il-2 1946...


Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Apparently they are better marketeers than we are, at least as far as pricing for consumers is concerned. ;\)


Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
saitek x52...

rudder pedals...

Storm of War: Battle of Britain... (still WWII stuff...)


Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
The simulation market is tough to please, the only way to make even a marginal profit is to raise the price to recoup costs for our never ending demands for more realism. This is why most development houses wont even touch a flight simulation or tank simulation today. The time required to get it right never brings in a profit. I would pay for a 125.00 flight simulator if it had the same attention to details as Steel Beast Pro.


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
me too-but to me not even allied force beats steel beasts pro


Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
Ive got you beat.........1300.00 + for the VBS version of OFP \:D


Now THAT one really took a Looooooooooong time to click the submit button in my cart. \:D


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,168
wow-i could buy a new laptop with 1300 dollars...


Apple Macbook Pro Generation 10.1 (Summer 2012)
15", 2880x1800 IPS Samsung Display
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7-3615QM
8GB DDR3 Memory
1GB Nvidia GT-650M
256GB SSD
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
I wish I had trust me ;\)

The other thing you dont get with any other project despite cost.......when is the last time you actually received concise tech support? Not the typical form letter that totally skips over what you sent in, the type that states to update your drivers blah blah blah when your question had nothing to do with drivers?

I wont copy/paste Ssnakes email, but in principle, it was roughly 8 paragraphs long with detailed explanations, and he also took the time to add screenshots to make even easier to follow.

Trust me, you dont get this from Electronic Arts.


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 21
double post oops


Sim, Scale, and Scratch Modeling, RC Fan, I use home built fighters with working jet engines. All my jets have wireless rotating nose cams, so I can fly via laptop video when my birds go a bit out of range
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,069,808 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1