SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by - Ice
I read reviews like these and that's what makes me curious about these types of keyboards. Just can't make myself spend all that money for something that I'm not sold on right now and something that I may not like even after some time with it.


You might not like it and that is always possible with any purchase. Keep in mind that Cherry is the gold standard for keyboard switches and has been for forty years, or more.


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Originally Posted by - Ice
I read reviews like these and that's what makes me curious about these types of keyboards. Just can't make myself spend all that money for something that I'm not sold on right now and something that I may not like even after some time with it.


Try it for a week or two, return it if you don't like it. Just keep the packaging. Amazon returns are easy.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
forty years, or more.

That long??

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Try it for a week or two, return it if you don't like it. Just keep the packaging. Amazon returns are easy.

Fair enough. I wonder if there's a wireless mechanical one that's any good? I'll be having a look-see.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by - Ice
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
forty years, or more.

That long??


Yes, that long.

Quote
Cherry was founded by Walter Cherry in 1953 in the basement of a restaurant in Highland Park, Illinois, USA. With the passing of its founder, his son Peter took over the ownership of the organization. The company's headquarters were moved to Auerbach in der Oberpfalz, Germany in 1979. Cherry has manufactured keyboards since 1973,[1] and claims to be the oldest keyboard manufacturer still in business.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_(keyboards)

Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Try it for a week or two, return it if you don't like it. Just keep the packaging. Amazon returns are easy.

Originally Posted by - Ice
Fair enough. I wonder if there's a wireless mechanical one that's any good? I'll be having a look-see.


IMHO, there isn't a single mechanical keyboard, of any value, that is also wireless. If there was, I would own one.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 03/25/18 02:22 AM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
4
Senior Member
Senior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
If it helps anyone, the one I got has the Cherry Red keys.

For me, the 80 bucks was well spent. Legitimately, the keyboard is good enough that I may just take my change jar, cash it out, and buy another one for my other PC. I honestly cannot stand this other board now and I resent every tiny key hang-up. It feels bizarre to me that after all these years of using a PC I'm just now bothering about keyboards and I have been missing this aspect for so long. 120 bucks on a HOTAS is nothing I'd hesitate on but I never considered a keyboard until I decided that the one with the S, D, L, and 'ENTER' key printing worn off had to go.

And just why did you guys keep this a secret from me?! wink


What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by 462cid
... I decided that the one with the S, D, L, and 'ENTER' key printing worn off had to go.


This keyboard eliminates that concern. wink

https://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-ultimate/


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted by cichlidfan
IMHO, there isn't a single mechanical keyboard, of any value, that is also wireless. If there was, I would own one.

Pity. I probaby could manage with a wired one but the wire might need some getting used to. I usually put the keyboard away to the side when simming and the freedom of a wireless keyboard is great.


Originally Posted by 462cid
that the one with the S, D, L, and 'ENTER' key printing worn off had to go.

That's the thing. If my key markings had faded, that would be another reason to upgrade but after 8 years, nothing has faded. The usual keys are just shinier as my fingers have worn the surfaces smooth, but the lettering is still there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,147 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1