SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 … 32 33
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
I kinda dreded it being boring. Pick my mom up from the Lutheran home and went off nto the party. Got her home a little late for supper, no biggie as she had controband food.

I wanted to set the paper airplanes afire and launch of the back deck. The adults didn't like that, and it was windy with freezing rain.

Had fun driving my mother, great gramadma she is, home.

Her dementia is setting in, but boy did we chat up a storm on the way home.
Kinda reminda me of a Truman Capote short story.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
I like paper arplanes and kites.

"A Christmas Memory" is about a young boy, referred to as "Buddy," and his older cousin, who is unnamed in the story but is called Sook in later adaptations. The boy is the narrator, and his older cousin � who is eccentric and childlike � is his best friend. They live in a house with other relatives, who are authoritative and stern, and have a dog named Queenie.

The family is very poor, but Buddy looks forward to Christmas every year nevertheless, and he and his elderly cousin save their pennies for this occasion. Every year at Christmastime, Buddy and his friend collect pecans and buy whiskey � from a scary American Indian bootlegger named Haha Jones � and many other ingredients to make fruitcakes. They send the cakes to acquaintances they have met only once or twice, and to people they've never met at all, like President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

This year, after the two have finished the elaborate four-day production of making fruitcakes, the elderly cousin decides to celebrate by finishing off the remaining whiskey in the bottle. This leads to the two of them becoming drunk, and being severely reprimanded by angry relatives.

The next day Buddy and his friend go to a faraway grove, which the elderly cousin has proclaimed the best place, by far, to chop down Christmas trees. They manage to take back a large and beautiful tree, despite the arduous trek back home.

They spend the following days making decorations for the tree and presents for the relatives, Queenie, and each other. Buddy and the older cousin keep their gifts to each other a secret, although Buddy assumes his friend has made him a kite, as she has every year. He has made her a kite, too.

Come Christmas morning, the two of them are up at the crack of dawn, anxious to open their presents. Buddy is extremely disappointed, having received the rather dismal gifts of old hand-me-downs and a subscription to a religious magazine. His friend has gotten the somewhat better gifts of Satsuma oranges and hand-knitted scarves. Queenie gets a bone.

Then they exchange their joyful presents to each other: the two kites. In a beautiful hidden meadow, they fly the kites that day in the clear winter sky, while eating the older cousin's Christmas oranges. The elderly cousin thinks of this as heaven, and says that God and heaven must be like this.

It is their last Christmas together. The following year, the boy is sent to military school. Although Buddy and his friend keep up a constant correspondence, this is unable to last because his elderly cousin suffers more and more the ravages of old age, and slips into dementia. Soon, she is unable to remember who Buddy is, and not long after, she passes away.

As Buddy says later: "And when that happens, I know it. A message saying so merely confirms a piece of news some secret vein had already received, severing me from an irreplaceable part of myself, letting it loose like a kite on a broken string. That is why, walking across a school campus on this particular December morning, I keep searching the sky. As if I expected to see, rather like hearts, a lost pair of kites hurrying towards heaven."

Last edited by MudWasp; 01/25/15 02:59 AM.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
oops that was from wiki and I didn't say so.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
Gentlemen, I would request admittance into your august assemblage, even though it be only January. In my defense, I would OFFer up any of my challenge videos and say "If they not be barmy, then not barmy be I!" I should wear the badge with pride, if in the future I should ever be so fortunate as to do something that would warrant "pride"! What say you, my daft overlords? screwy dizzy yeah and (W)OF(F) course, cheers, followed directly by bottles...


The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 674
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 674
I have to agree. Some of those challenge videos were the barmiest things I've seen.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

Rick, your WOFF challenge videos have certainly demonstrated that your grip on reality is tentative at best. AYE!

Tony, your lunacy goes back years with OFF so I know you qualify. AYE! again.

Thanks to these most recent lapses in good judgement it appears we'll have another trio soon sharing our traditions what with MudWasp, Rick, and Typhoon throwing their collective mad hats into the ring for consideration. Barmy love company.

.


[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.
_________________________________________________________________________

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,918
Likes: 8
I say, if I could find the cockles of my heart, or knew what they were, I would thank you from them for your faith in my lack of lucidity! pilot


The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
M
Senior Member
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,008
Rick, do you have any more challenges for this year?

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Excellent - just in time for the drinks - welcome to all new members to the club


'Der Fuchs'

BOC Member
'BWOC BWOC BWOC'
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,532
Aye! And aye to more drinks.
Starting to get crowded in here. How much barmy can a thread hold?

Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Ok, so today while roping a cow, with the wind in my face, I saw myself as a winged aviator sitting in his Sopwith Triplane and my quarry was an Albatross scout. I made my way to his six and let loose my riata.......I mean Lewis, and sent him down in flames!


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: MFair
Ok, so today while roping a cow, with the wind in my face, I saw myself as a winged aviator sitting in his Sopwith Triplane and my quarry was an Albatross scout. I made my way to his six and let loose my riata.......I mean Lewis, and sent him down in flames!


rofl


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
Aye! And aye to more drinks.
Starting to get crowded in here. How much barmy can a thread hold?

"Iff it shouldt gett too crowded, you can all come into my headt, meine Herren -
there is sooo much empty space in there, that you couldt still gett loszt!
Mmuahahahahaaa""


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
The aftermath of being accepted into BOC


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

MFair, you clearly did not drink enough during the festivities as those antlers are still on the wall and not on your noggin. Next time.

.


[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.
_________________________________________________________________________

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: MFair
The aftermath of being accepted into BOC


MFair, I love that classic style chapeau you are wearing! Reminds me of an old Tom Mix movie! The whole outfit, pants and boots fit the same look! Very nice in deed sir! Just one thing out of place! That Jack Daniels should read "Rot Gut"! biggrin

Oh well, can't blame you for choosing a better tasting poison!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 01/26/15 04:21 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
That Jack Daniels should read "Rot Gut"!


??? ??? ???


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,997
Originally Posted By: Olham
Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
That Jack Daniels should read "Rot Gut"!


??? ??? ???


Olham Rot Gut was a term commonly referred to by cowboys for the very poor quality whiskey normally sold in the saloons out west. The good stuff was expensive and saloons made more profit on the cheap whiskey because most cowboys couldn't afford the good stuff.


(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Ah, thank you - I thought it was meant to be German:
both words exist in German too, and in English this would mean "red good" or "red well" -
but it wouldn't make any sense.


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Just shoot me...
Member
Just shoot me...
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,002
Sho... <hic!> I need another bar, drink-keeper <hic>! I mean, another drink, beerkeep! err...<HIC!>

shish we've been handin' out theesh fanshy BOC badges'n'shtuff, err.. how cn these poor daft sots show'em off? Over at CA? We got shome trick to mirror threads?

Another pint o' me old Guiness, pleashe! salute bottles


Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
Page 3 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 … 32 33

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,069,826 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1