SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908
B
Bullet Magnet
Member
Bullet Magnet
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,908
Thunderous Thursday? :P


"My doctor says I wouldn't get so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there." - Ralph Wiggum
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Actually, the "problems" with Evo would be solved with the removal of attack air - cobras and the A-10 - forcing an Infantry solution.

I play on SimHQ on Saturday for two reasons: 1) The SimHQ bunch, and 2) The fluid nature of Evo.

1) There are a zillion ARMA servers. There is only one with the SimHQ crowd on it.

2) Evo is very amiable to "distractors." If I need to take care of something for a few minutes, in an Evo server I can go prone behind a rock, type "afk" in the chat bar, and come back without logging out. I'm not really holding up play. I can take a break and come back in for longer distractions.

Evo is what one makes it.

Personally, if it wasn't for Evo Saturday, ARMA would probably have been uninstalled on my system, as it's where all my questions were answered. In "serious" coops, there is no room to ask questions about how the sim works or commands. Nature of the beast - come ready to play, STFU and RTFM before stepping up to the server.

I'm pretty much a regular on Saturdays, and I still can't see all the horrible play that's been referred to.

Yes, I'd like to see attack air and close air support removed, as it (realistically) tilts enemy casualties to the one or two that are in the air, and often one is put in the position of simply mopping up after the Cobra later in the day.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 904
A
PSN: Airjawa
Member
PSN: Airjawa
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 904
Excellent post Dart, and that's exactly what I'm getting at. Ban the attack helo's and aircraft and Evo becomes a much different beast.


I will have you shaved, sterilized........and destroyed!
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
Oh, I could say so much about your and Dart's response, but at this point my feelings on this matter should be pretty obvious.

Anyway, I don't care who has the highest score (yes, my score postings were tongue in cheek, though most of you missed it), and so I am fine with pilots getting the most kills. What I have a problem with is that some of the people who get to the rank of pilot think it means they SHOULD take an aircraft and use it. It should be used when we need it. Not when you need to pad your kill count.

The gunships and fighters should be used as a support tool for the infantry, not as a massive kill tool. The thing is, we have said this before. We have talked this issue to death and it hasn't changed much. I think the people who do think the gunship rank affords them special power on the server don't realize we mean them when we talk about these things. Or they don't care (and I am starting to believe they do it because they are angry at being singled out, or told what to do).

Also, I see this filter into the other nights as well. A couple of people are doing things contrary to the server rules, even though I have seen them post in threads where we discussed them. I nearly contacted an admin/mod on this site after a few nights in a row of this... but did not, mostly because in the nearly 10 years I have been on this site, I have never asked an admin/mod to fix a problem for me.

So, I am tackling these issues the best way I can. By pointing out where problems exist, in hope that people do as they are asked. Evo is the biggest part of the negative Arma gameplay element. Now, I understand that it is here to stay and all that. Fine. Thankfully, for those who love it, I have no say in the matter. \:\) But that doesn't mean I am going to stop pointing out all its faults and its effect on those who play it. If I am anything, I am determined. And I am determined to see the Evo bad habits eliminated from the SimHQ server, and that will start with Evo.

As much as I hate the map, I am going to be there every now and then... just to see whether people finally stop using it as their replacement for BF2. Evo-Saturday does not mean the SimHQ rules go out the window. This was made clear weeks ago but within a week the same attitude was back. Joking around and having fun doesn't mean you don't work as a team. You can have fun and work as a team.

P.S.

Can the server now be upgraded to 3.1?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 139
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 139
I know I don't play much on the server (I'm pretty busy lately), but I kinda like having Evo as an option on Saturdays. Most public Evo servers are a charlie foxtrot compared to the SimHQ server.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
About time you showed up Dart. Ya know I was searching for something today and found your "I am reall trying to like this" post........I guess ya pulled it off.

Good points.

Once again, it's fluid..it has surprises ( I really liked the Specnaz bot's helo drops, too bad they are gone) and as a former Cobra hero, yep! dump em.

I really think (now) we oughta mod it and dump everything but the LB's, Hummers and maybe the 113 ACAV's (that's what they are BTW folks)

Just nominate King of the day and let's do it.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
See, the helo chute drops were great! In their place, we got ridiculous respawns.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Oh yeah! I didn't realize those had disappeared! I remember knocking down a helo or two trying to drop those guys. \:\)
For me the problem with Evo has been that I've fought at Paraiso, Somato, and Cayo more times than I can count, but I've rarely been around to fight at Dolores or beyond.
Also, while I have no problem with rank being needed for better vehicles, I DO have a problem with the gun situation. If we could use any gun we wanted from the start it would go a lot better I think.

Anyway, this is neither here nor there since we're not the ones making Evo.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
There are mod servers that allow for any weapon use. They are great. They only require rank for vehicles.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 795
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 795
All the bashing about point gathering... have we all forgotten our roots in Pac-Man? Asteroids? Zaxxon???

\:\)


Usually found simming in:
Falcon 4 BMS
iRacing
Arma 2 CO
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
My roots are in flight sims... I started at age 11. \:\) That was around the time Return of the Jedi was released.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 825
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 825
On the point with Super Cobras and A-10s being too strong... We could always make a SimHQ version with Mandoble's Missile Mod and his Anti Air Mod. That means that Shilkas will engage from faaaar away, since they won't track you only optically and totally suck at that, but they will track you with radar.

Then please let guns be pickable as people please and so on. A SimHQ-specific map isn't against the wishes of the creator of Evo (at least regarding to the readme). A modded Evo without respawns, and with the above added would add much more. Evo needs some major updates like that if people aren't going to collapse from boredom soon, since it is always 'Paraiso-Somato-Cayo-half Dolores-quit' because one has spent 4h and is either too tired or have to go.

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
I might actually enjoy an Evo without respawns... but without gunships? It would just take too long.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 133
Ummm... How does Evo without respawns work? You die and.. Thats it? Or do you mean vehicles? Then.. How will you get to other towns? Run 5-6 KM?


Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:
"What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied: "Recoil."
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
W
Senior Member
Senior Member
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,648
He is talking about enemy town respawns \:\)

Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
Looks like Wepps beat me to it by 35 seconds.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
NooB, they mean the respawn of enemies and their reinforcements in controlled cities when no blufor player (or AI) is present in within the circle that surrounds the town.

Edit: And apparently my page didn't refresh for at least 5 minutes \:\)

Last edited by Jayhawk; 08/08/07 04:51 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
R
No one of consequence
Veteran
No one of consequence
Veteran
R Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 18,786
Forums were down for a while too.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted By: Inkompetent
On the point with Super Cobras and A-10s being too strong... We could always make a SimHQ version with Mandoble's Missile Mod and his Anti Air Mod.
That's exactly what I was going to say \:\)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Well, RB, I gotta say that I'm not sure what you're looking for in an ARMA server, but it doesn't sound like it involves a lot of fun.

I just haven't seen the rampant rule breaking you're hinting at. Where's the TK? Where's the mutiny? Where's the "blatant violations" beyond the (admittedly) heinous voice activated TeamSpeak?

I'm already in the Army, gots me lots o' t-shirts; let me say this plain and simple: ARMA ain't the Army. This is, at the end of the day, a computer simulation, and it wouldn't take more than a few times of having to stand to on the carpet before I'll be bowing out.

There are a few things from Evo I do wish would bleed over into serious play - but first and foremost is initiative. Leaders lead - and they do so imperfectly using their best judgement at the time with the mission goals uppermost in their minds, not the mission plans themselves.

That doesn't mean going off on one's own for the heck of it. It does mean taking advantage of situations that present themselves without asking permission.

I don't take leadership positions in the server because it's an alien leadership environment to me. It's the nature of the sim - things have to be coordinated far more closely and few players have actual Infantry experience - but in RL squad and team leaders aren't micromanaged to the square foot of advance.

Evo's the training tool for the more "serious" missions. It's where one learns to plan and execute on the fly, task organize minute by minute (and I mean that in the task force organization way), and experiment.

I know I'll never get the hardcore Elite ARMA folks to ever like Evo.

But do us all a favor, Razorback, and stay out of the Evo server if your whole purpose is in "pointing out all its faults and its effect on those who play it."

We certainly don't want to have the same level of scrutiny placed on "serious" mission play and for someone to point out all of its faults and its effect on those who play that way. In a determined way.

[edit]

Quote:
As much as I hate the map, I am going to be there every now and then... just to see whether people finally stop using it as their replacement for BF2. Evo-Saturday does not mean the SimHQ rules go out the window.


I can't let that stand.

Razorback, nobody elected you ARMA hall monitor. I'll be the first to vote to kick you from the server if you come in and start "policing" Evo for the sake of disrupting play due to some crusade you've placed yourself on.

Here's the rules:

1) Registered SimHQ member.
2) On TeamSpeak.
3) Don't be a jerk - work as a team member, follow the leader as best you can.

What criteria are you going to use as High Inquisitor to determine if enough teamplay is used or not?

Will there be an appeal to your decisions, or are you the sole arbitor of canon?

What is the penalty for a "bad habit" on the Evo server?

If folks are using ARMA as a replacement for BF2, why should you care? Evo is a coop mission, not a fragfest, and is full of SimHQ people, for Jimny's sake! No animals are being sacrificed to the devil, no records are getting played backwards, and not a single twenty sided dice is involved.

Last edited by Dart; 08/09/07 04:11 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
"Problem occurred in connection"
by F4UDash4 - 09/14/26 01:41 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,069,715 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1