Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent.
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2145344 - 02/23/07 10:13 PM MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent.
Desert Eagle Offline

Loc: Portugal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6389501.stm

Quote:
News that Microsoft has been fined for violating MP3 patents belonging to Alcatel-Lucent could have widespread fallout for the industry.

Experts now suggest the US ruling could lead to hundreds of firms - including Apple and RealNetworks - being pursued for payments relating to the format.

"Any of the companies that have licensed and implemented that technology have to have great concern about this verdict," said Microsoft vice president Thomas W Burt.

At the heart of the case is the question whether Alcatel-Lucent should be paid for technology developed by experts at Germany's Fraunhofer Institute and Bell Laboratories - which Alcatel now owns.

Microsoft says it should not have to pay fees to Alcatel as it paid $16m to license the MP3 technology from the Fraunhofer Institute.

But Alcatel claims that as it now owns Bell, and has done since 2003, Microsoft should have been paying it for its share of the patent.

And it seems the Federal District Court in San Diego agrees - it ordered Microsoft to pay Alcatel $1.52bn, an award both companies say is the largest patent award in history.

The technology industry is watching the case closely as it could mean that Alcatel will soon be knocking on the door of hundreds of firms demanding payment for their use of the MP3 format.

Considering how widespread Mp3, is this is just getting started. Pretty much every music player since the iPod came out uses Mp3 as it's main sound compression format. I bet many people are now thinking "Why didn't we go for Ogg Vorbis instead?"

"I some times wonder if I finished the Internet"

Top Bookmark and Share
#2145617 - 02/24/07 06:55 AM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: Desert Eagle]
Rick.50cal Offline
FS2004 / FSX Forum Moderator
Lifer

Couldn't someone argue that Mp3 has long since become a public domain format??!? After all, where's the enforcement over paying for the use of this format all these years?!?

Top Bookmark and Share

#2145753 - 02/24/07 02:46 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: Rick.50cal]
D.O./SkateZilla Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Lucent Tech Just likes suing people, MS is Appealing the Decision because if MS Loses then Lucent will go on a Tear to all the companies that paid for Licenses for MP3.

Granted Lucent does own Fran now, but the Technology was NOT developed under their company, Fran Developed it BEFORE being Acquired by Lucent and there for LUCENT has no grounds to demand Fees for something THEY did not Develop.

Edited by D.O./SkateZilla (02/24/07 02:49 PM)
eVGA GF8800 GTS SSC 640MB, B.M. Intensity Pro
Acer 20' LCD,
SB XFi Fata1ity, 600W SLi PSU
-
http://www.myspace.com/skate_zilla

Top Bookmark and Share
#2145756 - 02/24/07 02:53 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: D.O./SkateZilla]
Rook_336th Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Wasn't there a similar suit a few years back over the .GIF graphics format by CompuServe and they lost?

Nevermind, Wikipedia is our friend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.gif#Unisys_and_LZW_patent_enforcement

Looks like their patent expired in 2004 for .Gif, when does it expire for MP3?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2145765 - 02/24/07 03:07 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: Rook_336th]
D.O./SkateZilla Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
Dunno,
But Everyone is Lining up to Sue Microsoft saying they have patents for the word Vista or whatnot.. lol..

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo all got sued for a Rumble Technology, I guess MS offered them $$ because the other two companies took rumble out of their systems.

Edited by D.O./SkateZilla (02/24/07 03:07 PM)
eVGA GF8800 GTS SSC 640MB, B.M. Intensity Pro
Acer 20' LCD,
SB XFi Fata1ity, 600W SLi PSU
-
http://www.myspace.com/skate_zilla

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146414 - 02/25/07 08:34 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: D.O./SkateZilla]
Vulgus Offline

Loc: Sacramento California USA
Patent, DRM, Product Activation, Copy Protection, it's all starting to get really nauseating.

It's all good in theory, but the REALITY is all this crap is just being flat out abused.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2146776 - 02/26/07 01:09 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: Vulgus]
Jedi Master Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
Nothing but money-grubbing. They didn't do it themselves, they bought the guys who did. They don't deserve a "cut."

The Jedi Master

Top Bookmark and Share

#2146963 - 02/26/07 05:17 PM Re: MS ordered to pay $1.53bn to Alcatel because of MP3 patent. [Re: Jedi Master]
Just Someone Offline

I don't like software patents. Software copyrights I can see, but I don't agree with software patents. I think software should be copyrighted, but not patentable.

But I also believe that software should be treated like books, and not allowed EULA.

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.