Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » .hm details & program help wanted
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#533471 - 02/22/05 03:34 AM Re: .hm details & program help wanted
Anonymous
Unregistered

Giant email coming,zipped ele/topo map,exact to TM,included is a DL link to an actual elevation map showing true elevation data...
sending now ;\)
Shreck

Top Bookmark and Share
#533472 - 02/22/05 05:32 AM Re: .hm details & program help wanted
VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Is this perhaps what you guys are looking for?
Heigthmap from Falcon 4.0, 1024*1024, cracked (but don't tell anyone) and converted to 8 bits altitudal coloring a la Wuthering Heigths 512*512 (can't upload the original, it's too large)

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share

#533473 - 02/22/05 06:01 AM Re: .hm details & program help wanted
MrJelly Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
..and I have a much more boring grid display of the 2 byte "heights" from the stock EAW file in a flexgrid with 640 columns and 320 rows as per the tilemap. The screenie only shows the first few rows and cols. The program reads the two bytes in the eaw16.hm file that is in the same folder as the program, calculates the value and puts it in the cell. It does not allow editing as yet, but that is obviously posible, the only trouble being that there are 204800 individual cells!
However, I could take this further if you wish.

;\) Jel

It's great to be of an age at which I do not have to suffer fools gladly \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#533474 - 02/22/05 06:32 AM Re: .hm details & program help wanted
VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hi Mr. Jelly,

wouldn't it be easier if you can make a program which converts this 16 bits RAW filetype to an 8 bits RGB or greyscale picture and back? Conversion back to 16 bit RAW from RGB is the best option. It may allready be enough if people can draw their elevations in RGB mode. The heigth values in RGB can be read from the color picker and are 00 00 00 for sealevel and FF FF FF for highest altitude. Paintshop Pro can save as RGB.RAW and all you have to do is to remove one byte from every three and save as .RAW (no header) as far as I can see it. This is effectively the same as removing the color information of an RGB picture or a desaturate and should work fine. I have many tricks using 256 color palettes to draw a good HM, all people have to do is learn a few tricks then. The tricks in a paintprogram are invaluable for creating interesting HM's as well as removing unwanted sticky bits or setting rivers to sea level or flattening terrain for villages and airfields. It is all possible with a paintporgram.
Now I think about it, there should be freeware programs on the web for converting this format to and from anything you like. Anyone had a look see yet?

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.