Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » IT job question
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2503373 - 04/27/08 11:53 PM IT job question
Mongo99 Offline

Loc: Detroit Michigan
I thought I'd ask about this here, because it seems alot of you work in the IT field. I recently started working with (not by choice) IBM's Tivoli Storage Manger. It's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to learn. Any of you work with it? If so, any suggestions on web-sites or books that might be useful. I've tried the "google thing", but all I find are sites that want you to take very expensive classes.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503380 - 04/28/08 12:02 AM Re: IT job question [Re: Mongo99]
Razorback Offline
Lifer

Loc: Member # 118
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws... encourage... homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Jefferson

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503387 - 04/28/08 12:07 AM Re: IT job question [Re: Razorback]
Razorback Offline
Lifer

P.S.

That will be $200. ;\)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws... encourage... homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."-Jefferson

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503389 - 04/28/08 12:07 AM Re: IT job question [Re: Razorback]
piper Offline

Loc: Raleigh,NC
Razorback gave you great information, just curious though, what did you find hard to learn?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503390 - 04/28/08 12:09 AM Re: IT job question [Re: piper]
piper Offline

Loc: Raleigh,NC
ps. Razorback could have charged more. But he's not that kind-of-guy.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503947 - 04/28/08 07:54 PM Re: IT job question [Re: piper]
Mongo99 Offline

Thanks Razorback. I see everything with TSM is expensive. LOL! Those are useful sites. Piper, as far as what I found hard about it was the Administrator that was supposed to train me is a prick. He just gave me 4 900 page Redbook PDF's and said "go to work". It's getting better though.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503970 - 04/28/08 08:23 PM Re: IT job question [Re: Mongo99]
joe_stallin Offline

Loc: Torontario
Lol,

I had one of our distributors come in and bang off a few Tivoli exams for me... He didn't know anything either, so you're not the only one!

XBL Gamertag: Kerpal_CZ

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503985 - 04/28/08 08:38 PM Re: IT job question [Re: joe_stallin]
Mongo99 Offline

It's strange. We have been trying to hire people with experiance for two years now. The ones with experiance want more money than is offered. The ones with certification, can talk the talk but can't walk the walk. That's how I got "roped" into it. They just grabbed me from my current position and said you are now an administrator. I think this stuff is kinda new, because there doesn't seem to be (in the Detroit, Mi. area) alot of people familiar with it.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504019 - 04/28/08 09:20 PM Re: IT job question [Re: Mongo99]
Razorback Offline
Lifer

A few years ago, I was brought in to work on one project but when they realized that I had figured out Tivoli, they changed my title but paid me the same. Bastages.

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.