Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Ben Stein's Expelled
Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2499727 - 04/23/08 02:16 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Patrocles]
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

[quote=PV][quote=Legend]I see that a second-year student "industrial design" could have designed a smarter body than we humans - or just about any other animal - currently have - hardly the work of a deity.
[/quote]

How can you say that? The human body is an amazing machine. A second year industrial design student can barely understand the body, much less design and build a superior one. [/quote]

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499950 - 04/23/08 11:35 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
LukeFF Offline

Loc: Riverside, California, USA
 Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
God created the foundations of science so that the more we discover, the more we draw closer to Him. Man did not create science, God did, and we are only starting to learn how to use it.

Amen

-James 1:19-20

Top Bookmark and Share

#2500029 - 04/23/08 01:15 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
PV Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
 Originally Posted By: Legend
 Originally Posted By: PV
 Originally Posted By: Legend
I see that a second-year student "industrial design" could have designed a smarter body than we humans - or just about any other animal - currently have - hardly the work of a deity.

How can you say that? The human body is an amazing machine. A second year industrial design student can barely understand the body, much less design and build a superior one.

- extremely susceptible to bacteria
- extremely susceptible to viruses
- inefficient wrt nutrients
- most important organs without redundancy
- the most important organ relies on two very much unprotected arteries
- the arteries around the second-most important organ are prone to degradation
- reproduction, while fun practicing, renders the female unusable for a prolonged period around birth
- and the offspring needs a full fifth of his average natural life to become mature.

Do I need to continue?

It's very easy to state the body's weaknesses, but it's a much different story to be able to perfect those flaws in biological terms. Genetic biologists are nowhere near the ability to do anything of the sort.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500037 - 04/23/08 01:23 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Dart]
Rilex Offline

Loc: Washington
 Originally Posted By: Dart

Evolution and Intelligent Design (I hate that label, btw) aren't mutually exclusive. One can believe that species adapt and evolve and believe in God.

Er, have you read up on ID? ID specifically counters Evolution (which again would prevent ID from becoming a scientific theory in and of itself). They are mutually exclusive.

The belief in a diety, such as FSM, and Evolution are not mutually exclusive. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Quote:

The answer is one of faith, which is outside of the realm of science.

IOW has no basis in reality.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500063 - 04/23/08 02:08 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
Colt40Five Offline

Loc: Heart of Dixie
Arr the noodly appendages have touched this thread...all hail FSM!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500064 - 04/23/08 02:11 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: PV]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
 Originally Posted By: PV
It's very easy to state the body's weaknesses, but it's a much different story to be able to perfect those flaws in biological terms. Genetic biologists are nowhere near the ability to do anything of the sort.

As it happens, I just read that Dutch scientists have grown a heart muscle tissue using stem cells from an adult. So far this was only possible using embryonal stem cells. It's a step in the right direction for people who had a heart attack.

But here we're talking about a creature that apparently could design and build something as complex as a brain, or, ID's favorite, an eye... and yet manages to rush through the rest of the body. I'm not saying that the second-year student could build this body, but I'm certain he or she could come up with a better functional design (is that the correct term for it?).

Edited by Legend (04/23/08 02:14 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500113 - 04/23/08 03:00 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
Rilex Offline

Hehe... (properly sourced) Wikipedia articles are fun \:D

Quote:

...on cross-examination, Professor Behe was questioned concerning his 1996 claim that science would never find an evolutionary explanation for the immune system. He was presented with fifty-eight peer-reviewed publications, nine books, and several immunology textbook chapters about the evolution of the immune system; however, he simply insisted that this was still not sufficient evidence of evolution, and that it was not "good enough." (23:19 (Behe))." (Page 78)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreducable_complexity

It doesn't bode well for your cause when the head of the movement buries his head in the sand in the face of scientific evidence.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2500158 - 04/23/08 03:55 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
Dart Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor

Loc: Morrow, GA USA
Legend, I am flabbergasted that you look at the wonder of nature (and the human body) and can only find faults with it.

Considering the nasty little thing called Entropy, the whole system is quite amazing.

The odd thing is that of all the human organs, the brain is the least efficient in many respects. We do an awful lot of approximation and guessing in our heads, with easy to demonstrate errors (optical illusions are the easiest demonstrations).

How efficiently the brain manages cognative thought isn't a weakness, however, or proof of poor design - the fact that we have cognative thought at all (let alone the amount) far outstrips the inefficiency.

We're built, like all species, to have a finite size and, with it, life span. Approximately 120 years seems to be the maximum under ideal conditions. But none of us live under ideal conditions or treat our bodies in an ideal manner.

Joints ache because our bodies can't take time out to replace cartiledge in the joints - it would render the joint unuseable during replacement. And the blood vessels that would be required to remove old cartiledge while building new just won't work due to compression on joints. It's not "bad design;" it's a design decision that makes sense - even if it means the part will wear out eventually.

My genetic tree has a nice perk of quick bone healing. Not X-Men fast or anything, but faster than most people. It is what probably saved me from hip replacement surgery, as the neck of the femur healed in four weeks rather than six or eight, reducing the chances of necrosis. The downside is that arthritis and rhumatism is also a genetic trait. My index fingers began rotating inwards when I was in my 20's....by the time I'm in my eighties grabbing a walking cane will be painful, and making a full fist most likely impossible. Assuming that I don't opt for surgical correction, that is.

Poor design? I don't think so. Downside to a benefit.

Rilex, you're correct - I used "Intelligent Design" as a description of my beliefs rather than that of strict Creationists. I put Creationists in the same category as every other Fundamentalist group. At least they're not violent.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500167 - 04/23/08 04:06 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Dart]
Rilex Offline

Quote:

Rilex, you're correct - I used "Intelligent Design" as a description of my beliefs rather than that of strict Creationists. I put Creationists in the same category as every other Fundamentalist group. At least they're not violent.

But even Phillip E Johnson conceeds that ID is just a form of Creationism. This was extremely evident when draft copies of Of Pandas and People were discovered where the word "creation/ism" was replaced with "Intelligent Design" wholesale (and indeed, ID is sometimes called "Intelligent Design Creation".

To boot, the fact that the creators of Intelligent Design put in text that there was a "higher being" that started life/etc., but admit that that "higher being" is indeed the Christian God and no other kind of takes away from the argument that this isn't Creationism re-wrapped in a new name.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500242 - 04/23/08 05:44 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
Speedo Offline

Loc: NC USA
 Quote:
I used "Intelligent Design" as a description of my beliefs rather than that of strict Creationists. I put Creationists in the same category as every other Fundamentalist group.

ID does essentially reject all parts of evolutionary theory, mainly because -as Rilex said- it's literally just a front for creationists. What you're talking about is closer to theistic evolution.
MSI GF8800GT 512MB
Creative X-Fi
2x Samsung SATA2 80Gb striped
Seasonic 600W PSU

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 9 of 19 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18 19 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.