Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Ben Stein's Expelled
Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2499373 - 04/22/08 03:53 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
PV Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
 Originally Posted By: Legend
I see that a second-year student "industrial design" could have designed a smarter body than we humans - or just about any other animal - currently have - hardly the work of a deity.

How can you say that? The human body is an amazing machine. A second year industrial design student can barely understand the body, much less design and build a superior one.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499376 - 04/22/08 03:59 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Jayhawk Offline

Loc: Munich, the deep south
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
 Originally Posted By: PV

How about Marduk killing Tiamet and creating the world out of her body...

Well, that's no more and no less of a believable assertion than someone walking on water or making wine from water.

But a lot less useful, especially considering the "water to wine" part. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share

#2499377 - 04/22/08 04:01 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: PV]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
I see that a second-year student "industrial design" could have designed a smarter body than we humans - or just about any other animal - currently have - hardly the work of a deity.

How can you say that? The human body is an amazing machine. A second year industrial design student can barely understand the body, much less design and build a superior one.

- extremely susceptible to bacteria
- extremely susceptible to viruses
- inefficient wrt nutrients
- most important organs without redundancy
- the most important organ relies on two very much unprotected arteries
- the arteries around the second-most important organ are prone to degradation
- reproduction, while fun practicing, renders the female unusable for a prolonged period around birth
- and the offspring needs a full fifth of his average natural life to become mature.

Do I need to continue?

Edit - the brain itself is a pretty neat thing, but if a deity can design a brain then totally foxtrot uniform the rest I certainly wouldn't call it "intelligent design" and more something like "cobbled together". Or evoluted.

Edited by Legend (04/22/08 04:04 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499456 - 04/22/08 06:46 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
TerribleTwo Offline

- extremely susceptible to bacteria
- extremely susceptible to viruses
- inefficient wrt nutrients
- most important organs without redundancy
- the most important organ relies on two very much unprotected arteries
- the arteries around the second-most important organ are prone to degradation
- reproduction, while fun practicing, renders the female unusable for a prolonged period around birth
- and the offspring needs a full fifth of his average natural life to become mature.

Do I need to continue?

Edit - the brain itself is a pretty neat thing, but if a deity can design a brain then totally foxtrot uniform the rest I certainly wouldn't call it "intelligent design" and more something like "cobbled together". Or evoluted.

Well Legend, you are now taking the subject a completely new direction where you want to argue that God doen't exist because of the "crappy" design of life... Interesting.

May I remind you again, God created an Earth that was VOID AND WITHOUT FORM. Strange that an almighty, perfect, God would create such a mess? Imagine an hostile earth, volcanoes, violent.. wow. At least that is my interpretation of void and without form. Void meaning no life whatsoever. Amazing these words were penned thousands of years ago. But science teaches that only in recent history as "new" disoveries...

If you want to talk about how crappy a design life is, please start a new thread. And let's leave God out of it. I'm sure it'll be an interesting discussion.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499488 - 04/22/08 07:33 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
NH2112 Offline

Loc: Windham ME
 Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo
That's not true at all. Your "god" is Time. My god is God. I have no problem you saying you have faith in Time. Given enough time, in this case billions and billions of years, your Time will create life from inorganic materials, carbon, oxygen, water, etcc...

Time has no purpose other than that which we give to it. That doesn't sound like much of a god to me. It doesn't matter to me whether we're the only life in the universe, or if life forms on every rocky planet with an atmosphere and liquid water orbiting in the habitable zone around its particular star.

I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose free will

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499502 - 04/22/08 08:04 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: NH2112]
Rilex Offline

Loc: Washington
 Quote:

May I remind you again, God created an Earth that was VOID AND WITHOUT FORM. Strange that an almighty, perfect, God would create such a mess? Imagine an hostile earth, volcanoes, violent.. wow.

That interpretation doesn't make any sense. Void == empty. Volcanoes would state that it was not empty.

You can't have an Earth that is void and have volcanoes or other features on Earth. That line doesn't speak of anything wrt any life.

EDIT: And if you wanted to say void meant "no life", then "without form" would mean there were again, no features on the face of the Earth. It would have been a smooth sphere.

Are you interpreting these words for yourself, or did you gather them from a well respected theologan or historian?

Quote:

But science teaches that only in recent history as "new" disoveries...

Because science did define it. What is written in the bible is an explanation that sounded good at the time. Today we know it not to have any merit. Or is lightening still a sign of an angry god?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499691 - 04/23/08 01:36 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: NH2112]
Avimimus Offline

Originally Posted By: NH2112
That's not true at all. Your "god" is Time. My god is God. I have no problem you saying you have faith in Time. Given enough time, in this case billions and billions of years, your Time will create life from inorganic materials, carbon, oxygen, water, etcc...

Time has no purpose other than that which we give to it. That doesn't sound like much of a god to me. It doesn't matter to me whether we're the only life in the universe, or if life forms on every rocky planet with an atmosphere and liquid water orbiting in the habitable zone around its particular star.

An interesting topic guys. I would love to discuss theology (and the testability of it etc.) but I'm pretty tired.

I just thought I would say that time could in fact be deified.

I would argue that most Deities in effect have "no purpose other than that which we give to it" (we may inherit this purpose from the universe which in turn inherits its purpose from a deity - thus producing a "strange loop" if not a downright proper loop)

I would say we underestimate time. That perhaps we should all be young earth creationist and the universe is infinitely young, that causality is actually the reverse of what it appears and we are riding backward on the wave of creation, facing the future (which we can see and think is the past), which will eventually end in a "big bang" like singularity. That this all makes a great deal of sense and you should wander over and have a discussion with some Aymara.

Finally, I would argue that, if time is without purpose it is probably tautological and that this makes it very similar to the God of the Monotheistic peoples of the book: As said to Moses: "I am I am".

S!

Top Bookmark and Share

#2499700 - 04/23/08 01:45 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
Dart Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor

Loc: Morrow, GA USA
 Quote:
Or is lightning still a sign of an angry god?

I dunno. Did the lightning come with a thunderous voice and shortly thereafter with a strange plague, like frogs?

\:\)

Once again, we're talking past each other.

While there are literalists that take every word of the Bible as direct fact, there is a much larger group that can see the hand of God in the Universe without having to reject science.

Similarly, there are scientists who do very good scientific research without being complete athiests.

And there are Flat Earthers that are athiests, I am sure. What would be the point, I have no idea. But I'm certain they are out there.

Evolution and Intelligent Design (I hate that label, btw) aren't mutually exclusive. One can believe that species adapt and evolve and believe in God.

Scientists have pretty much figured out how the Red Sea could part due to natural forces, for example. Does that mean that God didn't put Moses on the shore at the time of the event? Or was it just luck? The answer is one of faith, which is outside of the realm of science.

And faith isn't some deux ex machina for the unknown in the physical world by non-athiests. I don't understand how cables seem to tangle themselves on their own, but that doesn't mean I believe the Holy Ghost is knotting them when I'm not looking (actually I read something about why they tangle themselves written by a physicist, but it was on a flight and I was too sleepy to retain it).

Edited by Dart (04/23/08 01:46 AM)

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499703 - 04/23/08 01:49 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
PFunk Offline

Loc: N. Central Texas
 Originally Posted By: Patrocles
I have two basic questions about your post.
1. Why should we believe that the bible creation story is the one true creation story? Why don't we assume the American native, Hindu, etc. creation story?

2. How can an ID proponent claim that bible creation story bible is true, but then you can discard certain parts of the bible creation story? And how do you decide to toss out certain parts of the bible creation story?

Thanks!
\:\)

And to further raise the validity of your questions... What about the millions and millions of humans who existed during the early times who had never heard the Hebrew/Judaic doctrine of religion? What about the Chinese people thousands of years ago? What about the Japanese Samurai? What about the American Indian? What about the African tribes who existed during the time of Christ? A tremendous question indeed.

I abhor any religious view which is exclusive, in other words, says only these people will "make it".

So, just what does the Christian Bible say about this? The answers are in there.

The Bible says that God "winked" at these other religions. Winking means he let it pass. Apostle Paul also mentions the fact that the Greeks worshipped the one true God without even knowing it, they marked a statue, "To The Unknown God". How many other peoples were also worshipping God in their own way? One only can imagine.

But the one thing that is very consistent in Humans. We all have a conscience, and a desire to seek something higher. Whether it be the African tribesman or the Japanses Samurai or the American Indian, they all "knew" there was something higher than theirselves.

So.

1) I am not a proponent that the Bible creation story is literal. At the same time however, it is amazing how real it relates the history of the universe, almot in the same fashion that science has discovered today. Those thousands of years ago when those words were first penned, they had no knowledge of how the universe was created, that the Earth was a small entity in something much larger, yet even so, Genesis states, God created the Earth and it WAS VOID AND WITHOUT FORM. Just stop and think about that for a moment... and then think about where the Bible also mentions that a "Thousand years to God is but one day, and one day a thousand years". It is emphasizing the fact that Time stands still for a Divine Being who is everywhere at the same time. A billion years to this Divine Being is but a twinkle of an eye. There is no time with God. So how is it the universe can seemingly be 15,000,000,000 years old or more? I believe it cause the Bible insinuates it.

2) Because the Bible contains a multitude of analogies and parables. In fact, Jesus spoke almost entirely in parables, at least what is recorded. Revelations is one huge parable.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not important to my personal salvation and my belief in Christ. Whether I believe in Adam as a true single human, or whether he represents a a generation of peoples is not important and does not affect my personal belief in Christ.

Many many years ago, belief in a god was prevelant because people had no other answers for the questions about the universe and life. The irony of science, at least for myself, is that the more science discovers about how the universe ticks and the complexities of even the smallest form pof bacterial life, the more I believe in a master Creator. In essence, the wonderful discoveries of science have done more to bolster my belief in an Almighty than it has to reduce it.

But *that* was the intention. God created the foundations of science so that the more we discover, the more we draw closer to Him. Man did not create science, God did, and we are only starting to learn how to use it.

Your efforts are valiant, but you're speaking to people who firmly believe the entire Bible is a collection of fairy tales, rife with allegory and symbolism...EXCEPT when it comes to creation.

Then they really want to take it literally.

pfunk
"Let all that you do be done in love." 1 Cor 16:14 (NAS)

"We have coveted our neigbor's possessions and called it taxes." - Rev. Joe Wright

www.sixmanfootball.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499718 - 04/23/08 02:10 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China

Well Legend, you are now taking the subject a completely new direction where you want to argue that God doen't exist because of the "crappy" design of life... Interesting.

May I remind you again, God created an Earth that was VOID AND WITHOUT FORM. Strange that an almighty, perfect, God would create such a mess? Imagine an hostile earth, volcanoes, violent.. wow. At least that is my interpretation of void and without form. Void meaning no life whatsoever. Amazing these words were penned thousands of years ago. But science teaches that only in recent history as "new" disoveries...

If you want to talk about how crappy a design life is, please start a new thread. And let's leave God out of it. I'm sure it'll be an interesting discussion.

Technically, I said that "Intelligent design" doesn't exist. It seems really strange to me that a being can be smart enough to design a brain, then totally mess up large parts of the rest of the body. It's more proof of evolution, than disproof of a deity.
And, if I understand correctly, it's the privilege of believers in ID to disconnect this from the Judeo-Christian God (source)

"Void and without form" can, in my opinion, mean whatever people want it to mean. It can be an earth with volcanoes like you described, it can also mean an empty universe with an accretion disc around a protostar, which is another scientific discovery, it can also have an allegorical meaning.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 8 of 19 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 19 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.