Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2498414 - 04/21/08 12:45 PM The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
So I just started reading this last night and I'm really liking it so far. Believe me, for someone who hates mathematics with a passion, I'm amazed that I haven't given up on it yet. \:D

What I've noticed about Asimov's writing style so far is that he can discuss complex topics and write it in such a way that it's pretty easy to understand.

I know Legend is a big Asimov fan and I'm sure some others here have read it before.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498417 - 04/21/08 12:56 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
No105_Archie Offline

Loc: St. John's , NF, Canada
Read those years ago. I think I learned more than I did in high school

http://dingersquadron.homestead.com

carpe diem

Top Bookmark and Share

#2498422 - 04/21/08 01:08 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: No105_Archie]
enigma6584 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
 Originally Posted By: No105_Archie

I can relate to that. \:\) Reading Frank Herbert's Dune series was what finally got me to understanding the basics of economics, politics and religion and the interaction between these and others forces on culture.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498424 - 04/21/08 01:10 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: No105_Archie]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

I just checked the original copyright date and "Foundation" was first published in 1951.

@ Enigma - So far up to now, "Dune" is my favorite sci-fi novel by far. I also read the subsequent 5 books written by Herbert and while I also thought they were great, I still think the original book is the best.

Edited by PanzerMeyer (04/21/08 01:12 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498426 - 04/21/08 01:20 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
enigma6584 Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I just checked the original copyright date and "Foundation" was first published in 1951.

@ Enigma - So far up to now, "Dune" is my favorite sci-fi novel by far. I also read the subsequent 5 books written by Herbert and while I also thought they were great, I still think the original book is the best.

Yeah, I got them all but have not read them in a while. I have't really looked at the new series written by his son. Not sure if they are any good. On a similar note, I read in the local paper here (about three weeks ago) that someone in hollywood is going to try and attempt to make the first three books of the Dune series into movies. They will make them similar in structure to the Lord of the Rings by Jackson. For the life of me I can't remember the director's name. It was not someone I had recognized. I hope they don't screw these up. Their last attempt back in the eighties was horrendous to say the least. The Sci-Fi Channel had done the first three books plus the Children of Dune. I've got those DVDs. They did a fantastic job. If you have not seen them, put them in your netflix list. You won't regret it.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498429 - 04/21/08 01:23 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: enigma6584]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: enigma6584

Yeah, I got them all but have not read them in a while. I have't really looked at the new series written by his son. Not sure if they are any good. On a similar note, I read in the local paper here (about three weeks ago) that someone in hollywood is going to try and attempt to make the first three books of the Dune series into movies. They will make them similar in structure to the Lord of the Rings by Jackson.

Here is some info on what you mentioned,

Paramount Adapting Dune Again

Peter Berg is attached to direct another big-screen adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic SF novel Dune for Paramount Pictures, Variety reported.

Kevin Misher, who spent the past year obtaining the book rights from the Herbert estate, will produce.

Herbert's 1965 novel is a sweeping, futuristic tale set on the remote desert planet Arrakis, which is the interstellar empire's sole source of the spice Melange, which causes immortality and facilitates space travel.

The beloved book, which is the first in a series of novels, also spawned David Lynch's 1984 film and SCI FI Channel's 2000 miniseries, starring William Hurt.

The Berg Dune is now seeking writers, with the producers looking for a faithful adaptation of the Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book.

New Amsterdam's Richard Rubenstein, who produced SCI FI's Dune and its sequel, Children of Dune, is also producing alongside Sarah Aubrey of Film 44, Berg's production banner. John Harrison and Mike Messina executive-produce.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498432 - 04/21/08 01:26 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
enigma6584 Offline

Yep, that is what I was talking about. Hope they do it right.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2498434 - 04/21/08 01:31 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: enigma6584]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: enigma6584
Yep, that is what I was talking about. Hope they do it right.

I'll definitely go see it but I'm not very confident about it doing well at the box office. Admittedly, Dune is a very complex story and its definitely not action-oriented sci-fi like Star Wars so that will limit the popular appeal quite a bit.

Not trying to open a can of worms here but I actually like the David Lynch movie adaptation. I also like the Sci-Fi Dune miniseries but some of the acting performances were spotty and the budget limitations were painfully obvious in some of the external shots.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498505 - 04/21/08 02:57 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
So I just started reading this last night and I'm really liking it so far. Believe me, for someone who hates mathematics with a passion, I'm amazed that I haven't given up on it yet. \:D

What I've noticed about Asimov's writing style so far is that he can discuss complex topics and write it in such a way that it's pretty easy to understand.

I know Legend is a big Asimov fan and I'm sure some others here have read it before.

[angry voice]Panzer, what did we agree on about hacking into the FBI database?[/angry voice]

But the "trilogy" has seven books (not counting several others written by other writers). And if you include the robot stories, and Baley/Olivaw detectives, Robots of Dawn / Robots and Empire, and the Galactic Empire series, there are 18 books written by Asimov that can be read more or less chronologically. Although some of those aren't that good.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498515 - 04/21/08 03:06 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: Legend]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: Legend

But the "trilogy" has seven books (not counting several others written by other writers). And if you include the robot stories, and Baley/Olivaw detectives, Robots of Dawn / Robots and Empire, and the Galactic Empire series, there are 18 books written by Asimov that can be read more or less chronologically. Although some of those aren't that good.

Ah ok. The hardcover edition I have only includes the first 3 stories. Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.