Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2470861 - 03/16/08 01:34 AM Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here
Wudpecker Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

For some reason, Pat Tillery at KilroyWasHere.org has re-run many of my WWII articles on his website this weekend.
So, in shameless self-promotion, as Ray Otton says, here they are:
http://kilroywashere.org/009-Pages/09-0Tributes-Stories-2.html#ZeroZeroLanding

Pat is trying to get a "Kilroy Was Here" stamp in honor of WWII servicemen. In return for publishing my stuff, here's the front page link to sign a petition for the stamp:

http://kilroywashere.org/index.html

Top Bookmark and Share
#2473078 - 03/18/08 10:57 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Wudpecker]
Fran_Zee Offline

Loc: Bavaria
Nearly missed this one, Wudy

But it´s already midnight and my brain is somewhat busy with some well-brewed Bavarian beer....

so I´m gonna it for tomorrow´s lecture

Fran

"Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish;
let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more."

(Proverbs 31:6-7)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2473287 - 03/19/08 04:06 AM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Fran_Zee]
iron mike Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Shameless, absolutely shameless... Next thing is for you to set up a "Shameless Commerce Division" ala Tom and Ray from 'Car Talk" HEE HEE

Top Bookmark and Share
#2473397 - 03/19/08 08:25 AM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: iron mike]
Wudpecker Offline

Hey, remember the old Bob and Ray show (if you are old enough)?
Wacky, zany stuff.
Their theme song: I'm a Nut

"I love myself
I think I'm grand
When I go out
I hold my hand
I put my arm around my waist,
If I get fresh, I slap my face!
(I'm a nut..I'm a nut...I'm a nut)

I am a little cocoanut
Lying beneath a cocoa tree
I am stepped on by everyone
That's why I'm a nut, you see.
I'm a nut... I'm a nut... I'm a nut..." etc.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2473701 - 03/19/08 04:11 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Wudpecker]
iron mike Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Yep, the guys from Boston, (not Cambridge like Tom an Ray), their humor was how to say it, very..... deliberate..... and..... funny ..... And you are showing our age. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2473716 - 03/19/08 04:28 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: iron mike]
Rotton50 Offline

Loc: Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
Well, if we're gonna show our age, how about Jean Shepherd?

Yeah, the guy behind "Christmas Story". That was acutally a condensation of a number of his short stories in a couple of books. "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golded Memories" and "In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash" and maybe " A Ferrari in the Bedroom".

BTW, he had a cameo in "Christmas Story". He was the guy that told little Ralphie that the end of the line to see Santa was way the hell in the back of the store.

There another file based on his stories called "Ollie Hoopnoodle's Haven of Bliss". Same idea but all about disaterous vacations. Also "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golded Memories" was made in to a film.

The best stuff was on his radio show and in his editorial columns in Car and Driver. OOHHH, but that's a long time ago.

You can find recordings of his radio show on the 'net.

Wet your pants funny!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475410 - 03/21/08 06:47 AM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Rotton50]
Wudpecker Offline

Car and Driver... yeah.
I believe it was the rival magazine, Road&Track, that told me I had seen one of the greatest of auto races back in '66 or thereabouts.
Two great pilots vying for supremacy-- luckily not to the death as fighter pilots did.
It was my first auto race (watching, that is). The great English driver Stirling Moss was facing an upstart young American, Dan Gurney. They went at it hammer and tongs. Only by a whisker did the MossMan beat Gurney in the first of two heats in Laguna Seca racecourse in Monterey, California.
They finished almost side-by-side.

In the second heat, same battle. But Moss was not great by accident. He was keeping barely in front of the determined and talented Gurney, blocking any attempt to pass him by careful swerving into the younger driver's line. A Cooper-Buick almost a full lap behind this wild pair blew its engine right at Turn 9 in front of my young wife and I. Oil splattered in a puddle onto the ground of the turn. With the MossMan and Gurney charging down the hill and right into it on the penultimate lap.
The "best" line in such a sharp turn is to go outside, cut back across, and finish the turn outside again. The leaders had done just that dozens of times.
Not this time.
By instinct or the spectacularly keen vision he was famous for, Moss cut INSIDE the turn. Missing the oil. Gurney did not. He did a loop, touched the haybales, and found himself looking at the MossMan's tailpipe going away from him. Race over.

Road&Track's editor called it one of the great races because it showed a hot up-and-coming driver (Gurney) there was someone better than he was (Moss). It changed his career.
Dan Gurney soon gave up racing himself and became a team manager. Gurney's Eagle race cars took the Indianopolis 500 and other major racing events.
Moss was injured in a crash at Goodwood race track in England and never regained his keen edge that made him a world champion.
And I hadn't the foggiest notion what I had seen until reading the R&T article.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2475645 - 03/21/08 02:44 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Wudpecker]
Rotton50 Offline

Great story, Woody, thanks.

Car and Driver is a shadow of it's former self. The columnists just don't have the chops anymore.

They used to have all sorts of interesting stuff. Like the time they "test drove" an Ageis Class Cruiser. Or when they raced a 'vette against a Gulfstream G-4 in a point to point contest which the Gulfstream won by about a half hour.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475823 - 03/21/08 06:08 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Rotton50]
new ace Offline

chevy is still the better brand in my opinion....all those great small blocks and big blocks it saddens me to think what chevy has come and buick and oldsmobile,amx, their all shadows of their former selves i think we can blame this on the department of transpertation and the dmv not sure though.....

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475887 - 03/21/08 07:19 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: new ace]
Rotton50 Offline

Well, Ace, as a Ford guy I couldn't disagree with you more. \:D

My gargage queen:

of course ANY American Iron is OK in my book.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2476632 - 03/22/08 07:58 PM Re: Shameless Self Promotion --Kilroy Was Here [Re: Rotton50]
new ace Offline

well as a chevy guy there always was a small small soft spot in my heart for the 5.0 i bet us came with the infamous 302 but not the boss 302....unless of course your a gearhead like myself......but very nice car looks like dual exhaust convertible probably manifolds not headers but still alright i guess lol but otherwise a nice car ..... just wondering is that true dual exuast..........

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.