Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2464870 - 03/08/08 03:57 PM How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ?
tflash Offline

Loc: Belgium
Does anyone have a clue how you can dogfight in Mirage 3C? (In hard mode, of course).

I must confess I can achieve nothing at all with it. It is completely inferior to Mig-17, Mig-19, Mig-21, you name it!

I think I now understand how you can turn it, but that's all. I start losing energy from the first seconds of an engagement to never ever recover.

It must be the IAF pilots were true geniuses or something is not right?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2464910 - 03/08/08 04:41 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: tflash]
BlackLion Offline

Loc: in the Cockpit of whatever I a...
You do not dogfight in a Shahak, it is that simple!
maybe against Mig-21s, it is possible to stay and turn and burn, but against Mig-17s or 19s such a tactic is suicide.

keep your speed up between 350 and 400 knots and never turn more than 120° with an enemy, if you do not nail him during such a 120° turn, unload and get away as fast as you can;
your Shahak is faster than anything in full burner, you can even outrun Mig-21s in the game;
try and fight in the vertical, but you have to be a well disciplined energy fighter to do this successfully.
(coming from flying FW-190s in IL-2 helps a loooooot here :D)

with a little practice, your kill rate will rise, but stay alert constantly;
I have been killed by the odd fighter I have not seen more than once already, especially those Jordanian Hunters are deadly opponents!

cheers
BL
Full Of Thunder And Glory
Swords In The Wind
Crossing The Sky
Lords Of Doom Bring An End To Their Story

Top Bookmark and Share

#2464915 - 03/08/08 04:52 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: tflash]
ziker Offline

Loc: Israel
Well I too had a lot of trouble with the IIICJ at first.

I eventually discovered that the problem was that I pulled to much on the stick when turning and ran out of energy.

Try to mostly turn just by banking, if needed just pull lightly on the stick.
DO NOT! try to keep beaking hard for a long time. if you break hard do it only for a few seconds.
If the MIG gets behind you, slow down by pulling hard on the stick put the airbreaks out and roll. Make him over shoot.
This was a favorit IAF pilot maneuver and I feel like I'm fling historicaly wehn I end up using it a lot. BTW, I do manage to get behind MIG-21S Just by banking without pulling hard on the stick.

I am now able to get multiple gun kills per mission.
And can hit maneuvering targets with my 30mms.
-----------------
Zivan 'Ziker' Krisher

Top Bookmark and Share
#2464919 - 03/08/08 04:53 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: BlackLion]
AntEater Offline

Loc: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
BL is right: The right method is really a bit like the FW 190.
Keep your airspeed up while keeping an eye on the fuel gauge! At high speeds, the Mirage is actually quite maneuvrable, like all deltas. Above let say 400 knots you can outturn anything as fast as you.
I had the same problems as you but meanwhile I love the Shahak!
MiG-17s are still a problem, but there you simply don't dogfight at all, simply hit and run.
I score a lot of kills in Mirages, even 1967 without missiles (i modded the campaign as the IAF didnt have AIM-9Bs).
Its the friendly AI that can't handle the Mirage. Those Schmocks get themselves killed over and over again....
WOI gives you an idea why the Israelis demanded the Mirage 5: The basic fighter was just what the Israelis needed, only there was a lot of unecessary balast in form of the all-weather intercept equipment. In WOI you hardly need the radar, except in boresight mode, so you can safely throw it overboard. That's exactly what was done to create the Mirage 5
\:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2464963 - 03/08/08 05:29 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: AntEater]
tflash Offline

Well, thanks for the advice, I'm on it!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2464975 - 03/08/08 05:59 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: tflash]
El Mudjahed Offline

Loc: Tunisia
@AntEater

Frankfurter you got PM

Top Bookmark and Share
#2465172 - 03/08/08 10:27 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: El Mudjahed]
Toonsis Offline

Loc: Orange County, New York
Are the Mig-17s still "juiced" in this sim ?

The real Mig-17s controls locked up at 425 knots...just stay at 450 and ignore him, get in lag pursuit, or go vertical. If you stay out of gun range, he has nothing

But again when I last gamed WOV the Mig-17 were on steroids. I hoped this was addressed in WOI.
If it was addressed it would put a whole new and real spin on fighting Mig-17s

The corner radar "cheat" is useless. It should be an Artificial Horizon the way B.O.B 2 has

Top Bookmark and Share

#2465366 - 03/09/08 05:50 AM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: Toonsis]
Banger Offline

Originally Posted By: Toonsis

The corner radar "cheat" is useless. It should be an Artificial Horizon the way B.O.B 2 has

You can mod that radar out pretty easily by editing your HUD's INI file. Check the knowledgebase over at CombatAce.

Israeli pilots had trouble figuring out the Mirage when they first received it back in the early 1960s, too. It didn't maneuver with the MiGs and Hunters. The Cyrano radar was useless, and so were the Matra missiles. The cannons were tough to aim, as well. Obviously, they figured the Mirage out, and darned quickly! \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2465485 - 03/09/08 01:44 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: Banger]
Toonsis Offline

Loc: Orange County, New York
I had a feeling somebody was going to tell me I could edit the radar out, thanks I will try

The IAF is good. They also benefit from short flight time to the front, opponents who were not as well trained as they were, good GCI, aggressive ROE, and a target rich environment.
I think much like the Tuskeegee airman story someday we will find out that the IAF are not airborne supermen.
I hope I can figure out the Mirage 3 as quickly as they did

Top Bookmark and Share
#2465493 - 03/09/08 02:00 PM Re: How to dogfight in Mirage 3C ? [Re: Toonsis]
tflash Offline

I mostly press Alt-D, then the radar screen and info are gone. No mod needed. In WOE/WOV you need to assign the key first.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.