Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Are you ready for some baseball?
Page 30 of 76 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75 76 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2292662 - 08/23/07 02:00 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Leeman Offline

Loc: New England
I hate to say it, becuase I generally like Terry Francona, but he's not helping the Sox offense the way he manages. He's just not doing enough to help the team scratch out runs. They play too much "station-to-station" baseball. They need to do more to move runners along and make PRODUCTIVE outs (like the Angels do). The Angels do more with far less offensive talent. The Sox too often get a leadoff guy on 2nd base and he STAYS there for 3 outs. It's friggin maddening. If you get a leadoff double it's actually possible to score a run without getting another hit, but not the way they play the game. Cripe! For the most part, they need 4 straight singles to score a run.

And J.D. Drew is really pizzing me off. The other day, in the 8th, he comes in to pinch hit and he looks at 6 pitches, never takes the bat off his shoulder and strikes out looking with the game on the line. This guys just doesn't get it.

Look at the final 6 games for the Yanks and Sox. Even though the Sox finish at home and the Yanks finish on the road, the Yanks finish with Tampa and Baltimore while the Sox finish with Detroit and Minnesota. If the Sox aren't up by 7 games, they could be in trouble.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2292715 - 08/23/07 03:08 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
=DD= Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca. USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: PHilA

Meanwhile, the potent Red Sox offense can only scratch one run against Tampa Bay...

WTF is the deal with the Red Sox offense when Dice-K pitches?? I just dont understand as to why he barely ever gets any run support.

The same thing seems to be plaguing Chris Young who has done a fine job of pitching here in San Diego.

XB Live tag: Chimi72

Top Bookmark and Share

#2292807 - 08/23/07 05:21 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: =DD=]
PHilA Offline

Loc: Steinbrenners' Gulag
The Dice-K thing is a recent phenomenon. In the first half of the season he was winning games even though he was giving up 4-5-6 runs a game.

Leeman, I generally agree with you, but unlike the Angels, the only speed the sox have are Lugo and Crisp and their on base percentages could still use some improvement. No one else seems to be able to go from first to third on a single except maybe JD Drew and he seems to be an 0 for 4, 1 for 5 kind of guy so he's not on base that often... Another big problem they have is advancing runners with 2 outs and the general lack of pop in the line up. Right now, Dustin Pedroia has the best batting average on the team. Who would have thought that? But I suppose they are more balanced than last year. Despite the lack of pop most of the starters have over 40 RBI.

Last night they rested Manny, lost Pedroia on a HBP, lost Hinske on an injury etc. So they had a weak lineup. But Francona should have pinch hit Manny in the 9th with the tying run on second.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2292852 - 08/23/07 06:04 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PHilA]
SimHQ Tom Cofield Offline

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I'm still suprised there isn't more talk about the Mariners in the media. They have simply maintained a lead in the wild card race despite the red hot Yankees and are only two games back of the Angels.

Three weeks ago no one thought they would even be considered as a legitimate wild card candidate or as a division winner yet here they are, and here they continue to stay.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2293157 - 08/24/07 12:35 AM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: SimHQ Tom Cofield]
Top Gun Offline
Lifer

Loc: Roch-Vegas NH
I can't believe how bad Veritek has been playing, left 8 runners on. The first inning was a bad omen, bases loaded with no outs and they only get 1 freaken run. I wish they would just sit drew and bring up someone else, he's not helping the team one bit!

I don't think Francona can get much yap, he can only do with what the GM gives him. They really missed not getting Dye instead of Gagne. They needed an extra bat all year long, not another set up guy.. They need to find a line up that works and stay with it, way too much shuffling around this late in the season.
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8

Top Bookmark and Share
#2323698 - 08/25/07 06:44 AM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Sweet! Double header sweep against the White Sox. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2324815 - 08/27/07 04:20 AM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Top Gun Offline
Lifer

Nice to see the Sox swept the White Sox and the Yanks having their troubles with Detroit. Lead back up to 7.5

Top Bookmark and Share

#2324908 - 08/27/07 11:16 AM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: Top Gun]
Leeman Offline

Loc: New England
Top Gun,

If you've watched the Red Sox over the years as I have you wouldn't be at all surprised at Varitek's numbers in the clutch. He's friggin' awful and he's always been friggin' awful. The only one on the team that could match his ineptness at the plate in the cluth was Trot Nixon. Leave it to Theo to find a replacement for him that is somehow worse for a LOT more money.

Anyway, nice series against the ChiSox but a big series coming up against the Yanks. Taking 2 would be nice, but I don't like the pitching matchups except for game 2, Beckett vs Clemens. The other matchups favor the Yankees.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2324951 - 08/27/07 12:26 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: Top Gun]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
Nice to see the Sox swept the White Sox and the Yanks having their troubles with Detroit. Lead back up to 7.5

It's looking good right now for Red Sox nation. Hey 20mm, can we get a Red Sox smiley for SimHQ?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2325025 - 08/27/07 01:35 PM Re: Are you ready for some baseball? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Top Gun Offline
Lifer

well hopefully the Yanks continue their slide while the Sox are in town. I believe the Yanks have to play some make up game tonight so they won't be getting into NY till tomorrow and turn around and play the Sox who have today off.

Problem is the Sox are never consistant, either they hit for 12 runs or get only get 1 or 2...

Still wish Theo would have pulled the trigger for Dye instead of Gagne, he's been red hot and is the bad they really needed... \:\(

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 30 of 76 < 1 2 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 75 76 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.