Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2277157 - 08/05/07 04:24 PM Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro?
Mysticpuma2003 Offline

Loc: Birmingham, UK
I am currently using the X-52, and to be honest, after you have a separate throttle, you never want to use anything different.

Now, even though I've had the X-52 since it came out (and got it upgraded free to the new Firmware/Deadzone fix), to be honest, even with every fix known to the community (including stiffening the spring, changing conf.ini x/y axis responses, etc, I have never really been happy with the small movement accuracy of the stick.

Anyway, I'm selling it and moving on to either the Saitek X-52 Pro or the Hotas Cogar, which is only £9 more.

I'm hoping someone out there has had the benefit to try both of the above and can offer an honest (non 'fanboy')opinion on either or both of the sticks.

I have read many reviews, and my current mind-set is toward the Cougar which many have says is really 'solid', and I'm a big lad, so that's no problem. However, if I do go down the Cougar route, will it work with CH pedals or the new Saitek ones?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, cheers, MP.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277177 - 08/05/07 05:00 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Mysticpuma2003]
No105_Ogdens Offline

Loc: Shipdham, Norfolk 1944
Quote:
Now, even though I've had the X-52 since it came out (and got it upgraded free to the new Firmware/Deadzone fix), to be honest, even with every fix known to the community (including stiffening the spring, changing conf.ini x/y axis responses, etc, I have never really been happy with the small movement accuracy of the stick.

How does one know if they got the version pre or post "fix"? Sorry to hijack!

"Cricket itself is an entertainment and does not require such cheerleaders to entertain,"

Top Bookmark and Share

#2277180 - 08/05/07 05:07 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: No105_Ogdens]
Mysticpuma2003 Offline

Ok, so you don't have to register at the Saitek Forums, here's the second post I made after my original was 'mysteriously' deleted. I would to be honest, think by now, that any bought in the last year would have been updated.

****ORIGINALLY POSTED FEB 2005*****

" Deadzone issues in original X-52's that new firmware fixes (the missing thread!)
Guys, for some strange reason this thread went 'missing' even though no-one can explain how or why. Just so we don't start conspiracy theory threads, and under the impression that two posts from the same author can't go missing, here is that thread.....enjoy!

Quote"
Your obvious question is "Do I have the new firmware in my stick ?"

Well the news is good and bad. Saitek have changed the firmware inside the newest sticks so that the sensors activate when the stick is moved, instead of the 2-3cm movement on the original firmware. See previous threads for many unhappy users.

Anyway, I recieved my 'new' stick, but it was, unknown to me at the time, one of the original batch, and made Pacific Fighters unplayable. See this thread :

http://www.saitekforum.com/showthread.php?t=6609

So, taking Richard Neville's advice I returned it (by hand (1 hour drive but worth it!)), to the shop I bought it from and explained that Richard had told me to return it and showed them the link on this forum where he advised me to do so.

Well, with outstanding customer service, Neal Taylor of Answer GCI http://www.gamecase.co.uk/customer/

followed this up for me and was told by Richard that the latest sticks had a new firmware installed in them, and that this would fix my problem. Unfortunately to see which sticks have the new firmware installed you have to look at the serial number.

So if your stick has a serial number less than S00245477 it has got the old firmware, and will most likely have the very large deadzone which will cause you problems.

I am under the impression from an email I recieved from GCI that it is the number that is important and not the letters at the start.

However, as luck would have it, Richard said on my previous post (read link above), that if you have major deadzone problems, then return it to the store you bought it from for a replacement.

Now fortunately, this is in writing on this site, so is legally binding, therefore if you have the large deadzone problem, take it back to the shop, get them to return it to Saitek, and get an updated one with the latest firmware.

Neal at GCI chased up Saitek and returned a new stick to them, and they sent me a replacement which had the new firmware chip.

I would point out though that as of 2 days ago, it was the only one available in the UK so I am informed.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with a new X-52, that is as sensative as my old Cyborg used to be, and now I just have to learn how to use it!

Hope this helps some of you guys who have had problems with the large deadzone, cheers, Puma."

(next was my second reply)

"Just in case you didn't see the "what happened" post, here's a bit of information to follow on.

Quote" Richard of UKSupport said "it is not our policy to replace old sticks with new"
but surely it must be your policy to replace sticks that are faulty and don't do what they should. Like control a plane, like make it move when you move the stick!

I mean my stick wasn't old, it was brand new and had a huge deadzone which was unplayable.....effectively faulty....effectively to quote a lovely trading standards saying....."not fit for the purpose".

Now loads of people have bought this stick with the huge deadzone which is effectively "not fit for the purpose" and so they have every right to return it for a replacement. I've seen threads about people modding with soldering irons the brand new stick they have bought. I repeat "brand new", how can Saitek think that a new product should be shipped in that condition, and then say "it is not our policy to replace old sticks with new". Of course it should be if they were released faulty.

You may know from your discussions with Neil Taylor that I'm a journalist with more than a little knowledge of consumer law, so I'm surprised that you don't know that a faulty product which is not fit for the purpose must be replaced or at a minimum a repair offered. Now if that repair involves Saitek taking on the replacement of the firmware, then sorry that's just the way it has to be!

Good luck with your sticks guys"

this was posted in Feb 2005.

Ok, so back to the original thread, any thoughts?

Edited by Mysticpuma2003 (08/05/07 05:08 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277187 - 08/05/07 05:19 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Mysticpuma2003]
No105_Ogdens Offline

Loc: Shipdham, Norfolk 1944
Thanks MP, over an' out!

"Cricket itself is an entertainment and does not require such cheerleaders to entertain,"

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277213 - 08/05/07 05:53 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: No105_Ogdens]
Ian Boys Offline

Loc: Broadbottom UK
NOT the cougar.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277249 - 08/05/07 07:03 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Ian Boys]
Mysticpuma2003 Offline

OK!...lol

Ian, for a person I come to expect a lot of detail from......that is quite a solid reply.

I'll take it on-board though....any reasons you would care to divulge?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277282 - 08/05/07 07:47 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Mysticpuma2003]
Targ Offline

Loc: Alaska
Get a CH set up, well worth the money and hassle free. I have used both the cougar (modded) and the CH gear and personally I choose the CH.
My CH gear is going on 7 years now and still works as well as the day they came out of the box.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2277307 - 08/05/07 08:47 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Targ]
Wulfycuddles Offline

CH Fighterstick and Hotas for the win ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277322 - 08/05/07 09:12 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: Wulfycuddles]
jamiroq Offline

Loc: Slovenia, Europe
> CH Fighterstick and Hotas for the win ;\)

for teh empty bank account, rather ;).
ch gear is too expensive in europe. a full setup (joystick, throttle, rudder) would be 489eur ($670, according to google) at simw.com (and 542eur in rcsimulations.com :O). not counting the shipping costs (which would easily be 50eur or more, imho).
False,
FileNotFound
};

Top Bookmark and Share
#2277339 - 08/05/07 09:55 PM Re: Im looking for honest opinion which to buy. Hotas Cougar or X52 Pro? [Re: jamiroq]
Targ Offline

Loc: Alaska
Good thing Mysticpuma is in the UK \:\)
Amazon has the full deal for 340 pounds and in the US they can be had for 300 US.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.