Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2076461 - 10/11/06 01:36 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
SandyC Offline

Loc: UK
Brilliant to have the detail! Bring it on. Also, not all aircraft are buzzing past at 300 knots. Cobras and Hueys, Spads, A-37s. 'I see them...'

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076462 - 10/11/06 03:18 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
zerocinco Offline

Loc: Saigon
I have seen people while flying 500 knots at 500 feet pulling 5 G's (dodging flak that looked like Yankee Air Pirate flak). I doubt they had a pack of Luckies rolled up in the sleeve of their t-shirt or a pin-up of Racquel Welch nearby but if I had F7, I would have looked.

If you don't like detail, reality and the ability to believe for a moment that you are really there, you are going to hate Yankee Air Pirate. Ours are real flights by real men against real enemies. You cannot reproduce that often enough with the stock WOV package.

But you can stage a fight between a Viggen and a Mirage in a war that never happened over terrain with...wait a minute. Are those trees? and leaves on the trees? And shingles on the roofs? Why am I the only one on this airport? Why aren't there any other airplanes on the ground or in the pattern?

See? You have noticed it too.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2076463 - 10/11/06 03:29 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
jimbib Offline

Hey zerocinco I'm definitely in favour of as much detail in the game as possible. One thing that you mentioned there caught my attention particularly, the fact about the static aircraft on the ground. What static aircraft are there on the ramp in YAP?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076464 - 10/11/06 04:11 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
SandyC Offline

Loc: UK
Since getting YAP, I have airbases with F-105s, F-4s, F-100s and even a chartered Pan Am Boeing 707 on the ramp. In one mission, I have 16 Thuds lining up to take off and a ramp jammed with static planes. Looks fantastic as you take off and look down at flightlines and a bustling base.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076465 - 10/11/06 04:12 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
zerocinco Offline

So far, whatever Paul Taylor can get to sit straight after the patch. In Misty, F-100's. Usually F-4's on alert in Diego's drive-through revetments at Danang. A-1s and C-130 at Hue. C-47's here and there. UH-1B's. MiG's up north. Thuds at Korat and Takli. Phantoms in various skins at Ubon. B-52's and KC-135's at U Tapao. 707's at the terminal at Danang.

It is easier for us to just send the _DATA.INI and have the player drag and drop the big stuff into the folder. The README makes it easy.

We try to put the complex statics in the logical views of the player. If we can get some simple stuff, we will put them in revetments farther away as terrain objects. Getting things like that (and cockpits) is not as easy as it seems. These guys do such great work because they are doing what entertains them. If I said, make me a C-123 static, they would block my email.

But if you want a mortar to go "thoomp!" or a bunch of dead guys around a gun you hit, no problem.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076466 - 10/11/06 04:18 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
zerocinco Offline

I should have mentioned that we also put things like Conex boxes, crates, tool boxes, fire trucks, pallets, ambulances, alert shacks, passenger terminals and now (thanks to Kesselbrut) have lighted trucks driving around the ramp on those night missions. Next map, we will have more people just hanging around.

When we get to the point that you take this kind of thing for granted, we are as close to real as TK's engine and your processor will allow us to take you.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076467 - 10/11/06 04:49 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
8 L.E.I.N. Offline

Loc: Detroit, Michigan USA
I have to update the CEO (Boss) on whats in the YAP Static AC inventory. He cant keep track of of it all Those two 23 yr old (female)secretaries just sit around all day looking like "employee of the month" YAP has every stock WOV AC as a static and then some. To be used at your discretion, Boss.
(just something PNT and I do in our spare time) :p

Top Bookmark and Share

#2076468 - 10/11/06 05:02 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer

Loc: Washington state
Great stuff. I may have to break down and get myself a copy.

Fan of anyone in Nascar not driving a Camry.

Wondering around in the aftermath of Black Mesa East.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076469 - 10/11/06 05:43 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
Sundowner Offline

Loc: Cheshire.UK
Very,very nice work you guys.. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2076470 - 10/11/06 06:28 PM Re: Khe Sanh by Yankee Air Pirate
Tristan Offline

Loc: Chelsea, Michigan, USA
I like the storytelling concept very much; it raises the impact of the screenies.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.