Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#200384 - 06/02/04 09:51 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
they use Lithium batteries as opposed to rechargable NiHM's, niether has a Tiff mode, and the price is on the high side considering the prices shown are for the body only. But I would be willing to pay those prices to get what I really want. The Lithium battery deal really bugs me though.
I agree with the TIFF issue, but I can't agree on the battery. The Li-Ion outperform point blank beat the NiHM AAs. You can get good generic batteries for the Rebel (and I am sure you can with the Nikon too, I just haven't seen them at BBY, which isn't saying much) that are only 40 dollars. That is quite a deal considering they last 16-24 months.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200385 - 06/02/04 09:52 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I would be very surprised, though, if there are Digital SLRs with conventional NiMH packs around...are there?
Never heard of them, but NiHM is definately NOT the way to go. Li-Ion may be be convient, but they sure are better.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200386 - 06/02/04 09:55 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

It's still a lot of cash, though. Wouldn't I have spent the 500 bucks for the Fuji I would already have gotten the D70, but the S5000 is still too new and in pristine condition to warrant a replacement.
Yea, not like the FUBAR situation with the battery drain on the 7000.

http://www.jjmehta.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_trouble;action=display;num=1079273751

Top Bookmark and Share
#200387 - 06/02/04 09:56 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mud Hen:
Be careful with the D70 at the moment, it may be getting rave reviews from many, but it has some serious technical problems that Nikon are slowly beginning to acknowledge: Short-back focusing and skewed colour saturation at high shutter speeds are the two key areas of interest.

The focusing problem can only be fixed by recalibration of the body (and they are going back to Nikon in droves for this), the colour tinting on the left and right of the frame should be solved through firmware, but there's no news on the horizon as to when that's going to happen.

Still, it beats the 300D, and I am a die-hard Canon user, so that's some compliment!
Really, didn't know about the focusing issue....

Top Bookmark and Share
#200388 - 06/02/04 10:43 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Ant Offline

Loc: Luton, UK
Thanks for the tips on sharpening.

Would it also be better to use a photo editor for colour saturation too, or will the camera's manual saturation levels be preferable?

Top Bookmark and Share
#200389 - 06/02/04 01:32 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Carrot Offline

Loc: Hartlepool, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ant:

Would it also be better to use a photo editor for colour saturation too, or will the camera's manual saturation levels be preferable?
I'd try both and see which you prefer. I'm usually happy with my camera's (Minolta A1) 'Vivid' colour mode. Though I do sometimes tweak saturation afterwards in Photoshop.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200390 - 06/02/04 05:41 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Mud Hen Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
When you use unsharp mask in PS, disable the colour channels first and only apply it to the black and white image. Re-enable the colour channels once you're done to get your colour back.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200391 - 06/02/04 05:46 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Mud Hen Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Skoold:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mud Hen:
Be careful with the D70 at the moment, it may be getting rave reviews from many, but it has some serious technical problems that Nikon are slowly beginning to acknowledge: Short-back focusing and skewed colour saturation at high shutter speeds are the two key areas of interest.

The focusing problem can only be fixed by recalibration of the body (and they are going back to Nikon in droves for this), the colour tinting on the left and right of the frame should be solved through firmware, but there's no news on the horizon as to when that's going to happen.

Still, it beats the 300D, and I am a die-hard Canon user, so that's some compliment!
Really, didn't know about the focusing issue....
I kid you not. I know one guy who has had *3* D70s with the same problem. He's now bought a Canon 10D!

Incidentally, do you know of a reputable pro store in New York? I have family there on holiday this week and I'd like them to pick me something up.

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#200392 - 06/02/04 06:44 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, I live in AZ.

But honestly, if you are in town for a week or two have one shipped to you:

http://www.newegg.com/camera/?DEPA=7

Really, I can't stress enough how good the company is. I rarely buy anything (except Rebated stuff) at Best Buy, the prices on Newegg with shipping usually beat out BBY with my employee discount!

Top Bookmark and Share
#200393 - 06/02/04 07:06 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Mud Hen Offline

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.