Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#200374 - 06/01/04 06:56 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Snapdad2112 Offline

I recommend the Canon G5.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200375 - 06/02/04 08:56 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Gottedammerung Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
I've been trawling a few photo forums since I got my new camera and the Canon Digital rebel gets very high regard for price v features.

Why is it better to sharpen in photoshop rather than on the camera?
Ant, it's because the onboard software (algoryhms -sp? -) which the camera uses to sharpen images simply isn;t as good as in Photoshop (or most other high end editing software). With in camera sharpening, you tend to get haloes around the images, and the sharpening tends to induce noise in flat areas of colour. If you use Photoshop, use Unsharpen mask, which allows you to shapren only the edges of elements in the image and not the flat areas, thus limiting noise. You can also get a good look at the amount of sharpening you're getting, whereas with the in camera sharpening, you're stuck with it.
There are some good sharpening actions out there, which plug into Photoshop and tend to even be better than Photoshops, or there are third-party filters that are better still.

Hope that helps.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200376 - 06/02/04 09:15 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Gottedammerung Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:
People, do yourself a favor and reconsider the 300D.

It was a nice, affordable piece of digital SLR when it first came out, and kudos to Canon for breaking the previously high price marks.

However, Nikon has already released the D70 at almost the same price.

And I haven't seen a single report or comparison where it didn't blow the Canon out of the water.

Check here for a detailed comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page20.asp

By all accounts I've read the Nikon has FASTER shutter speed than the Canon, it powers on faster than the Canon, it has almost all the features of the way more expensive D100 (compared to the castration the 300D had to endure downwards from the D10)...

Nikon got a REAL AF Assist light (so you dont have to open the flash slide like with the Canon), and you can change manually between Continous and Single AF - which as far as I read is not possiple on the Canon.

The LCD got higher resolution, too. And instead of a bit cheap silver looking plastic it's all black with rubber coating.

Seriously, I loved the 300D when it came out and would have sold my grandmother to get one - but now Nikon takes the lead.
With camera equipment, it's a very tricky business. The Nikon does look good, but my main concern would be a lack of ISO 100. I believe it starts at 200. With 100 you get super clean pics (if at slightly higher shutter speeds).
The shutter lag should be pretty non-existant on any digital SLR (basically limited to the time it takes to raise the mirror).
The Canon is no longer a crippled version of the 10d with the release of the Russian firmware hack, which gets around the DR's greatest limitation its lack of adjustable flash level. Also, with the up and coming second hack (both for free), the addition of ISO 3000 and something (for really dark pics (though the higher the ISO, the greater the noise - much like grain in high ISO film).
As for batteries, I don;t know what the Nikon's is like but the canon fully charges in about 40 mins, and last a real long time. It also uses a seperate charger, so if you have two batteries, you can use the camera and charge the other - unlike, say, my Sony 717, which takes maybe an hour and a half and charges on-board, so you can;t use the camera.
With the body, colour isn;t that important; rather, its the quality of the finish. My canon's showing signs of age now, but it's paint is pretty resiliant. My sony is like powder. look at it and it scuffs.
If colour is important, they've released a black-bodied DR in Japan (it's called the Kiss). I don;t know, but I suspect the next release of the DR over here will be black.
But if you wait, as so many people do, think of all those shooting opportunities you'll miss.

My advice, the Canon or the Nikon will be great cameras. Either way, do your research, try them out in the shop (just for the ergonomics), and then put your money down and get out there and take some pics. Just remember - post process.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200377 - 06/02/04 09:33 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
My current DC is an Olympus C2020Z and when I do get around to upgrading to one with more megapixels I will definitely put Olympus high on the list. But my next one will have to be an SLR too because looking at the LCD display in daylight is all washed out.
The daylight washout shouldn't be an issue with anything that has a Li-Ion battery.

If you go with a digital SLR go with a Nikon or Canon.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200378 - 06/02/04 09:39 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
I read that in reviews before I bought it too but I've managed to get some good test pics at 10X zoom without blurring. It's not actually as bad as some reviews say it is.
Depends on the user and the settings on the camera. Usually though I just tell everyone to get a tripod for it.

I am very much someone who refuses to over sell junk to people (I am not on commision, and while BBY expects me to for the managers bonus I have no desire to), and that is the only type of camera I really push it on.

Also, as I said, don't get those extended warranties, they are mathamatically shown to be a rip off. Don't fall for the scare tactics that the sales guys give you. Do you really think that Canon, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, Fuji and such would sell stuff they expect to burn out in a year let alone 4?

Nearly every camera that is broke that is brought in is from dropping it. No extended warranties cover that, and if a sales man claim it does, read the fine print and promptly call him a liar.

While you may lose on one product here or there without the extended warranty, the fact is that when you average it out over all your items it is always cheaper to purchase without the extended warranty.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200379 - 06/02/04 09:40 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Proprietry Li-Ion battery (tho cheaper ones can be found, still not as convenient as AAs),
Not as big of deal as some make it out to be. Most Li-Ion last 16-24 months. While the manufacture suggests replacements every 12-16, I found few go out in 12....

Double As will only last like 20-30 minutes in a camera, whereas Li-Ion will last over an hour and usually 1.5 hours.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200380 - 06/02/04 09:41 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Does image stabilization work well? I think I would still go with an optical SLR as opposed to the EFV method due to the slow resonse time of it during action shots. Maybe something like the Canon Digital Rebel.
Go with a SLR if you can afford it. I know on the Canon S1 the stabilization works very well.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200381 - 06/02/04 09:42 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
THe digital rebel, or 300d in the UK, is one of the best for the price. There's also a russian firmware hack that addresses some of the limitations which were put in there to stop it competing with the more expensive 10d.
Oh, I must have a link to that firmware hack....I demand it! \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#200382 - 06/02/04 09:46 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ant:
I've been trawling a few photo forums since I got my new camera and the Canon Digital rebel gets very high regard for price v features.

Why is it better to sharpen in photoshop rather than on the camera?
A computer has much more proccessing power to clean up photos. So it is definately better to use the computer to sharpen photos.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200383 - 06/02/04 09:49 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
However, Nikon has already released the D70 at almost the same price.

And I haven't seen a single report or comparison where it didn't blow the Canon out of the water.
Well, at retail (go buy online) it is 300 dollars difference. That is quite a big difference, though I agree the Nikon is better, but the Canon is solid too.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.