Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#200354 - 05/28/04 07:30 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Top Gun Offline
Lifer

Loc: Roch-Vegas NH
you need to clean your windows ;\)
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8

Top Bookmark and Share
#200355 - 05/28/04 07:41 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

\:o

Top Bookmark and Share

#200356 - 05/30/04 06:25 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Ant Offline

Loc: Luton, UK
After a couple of months trying to decide what Camera to upgrade to I finally decided to get an Olympus C750UZ yesterday. 4 megapixels, 10X optical zoom and very good reviews pushed me toward it. I'm very pleased with it so far, but I've only had it a day so I've still got a lot to discover \:\)

But the strangest thing was selling my old camera....a Fuji finepix A204. A friend of my sister's wanted it so I had no problem selling.

Now I'm not really a sentimental person, and I normally don't have any kind of emotional attachments for inanimate objects at all, but giving that old Fuji camera up really had an effect on me.

2003 was probably the most eventful year of my life: Two of my best friends getting married (and the associated stag parties ;\) ) ...one of them having a baby. went to Russia for the first time in my life...twice (once for one of the aforementioned weddings) Lots of daytrips out with my girlfriend, and the unfortunate passing of my father \:\(

My little Fuji camera was almost a constant companion during all that, and I've got hundreds of photos to look back on. It was a sad day for me when that camera wasn't there any more \:\(

Top Bookmark and Share
#200357 - 05/30/04 06:41 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

My current DC is an Olympus C2020Z and when I do get around to upgrading to one with more megapixels I will definitely put Olympus high on the list. But my next one will have to be an SLR too because looking at the LCD display in daylight is all washed out. Unless they have overcome that problem in recent models. My camera has auto or fully manual. I prefer to use manual but because the fstop and shutter setting display is on the LCD I can't read it in daylight to see what settings I am using so I just use auto which makes it just a glorified point 'n' shoot camera. I'm not spending a thousand bucks on a point 'n' shoot camera again so it will have to be SLR with at least 5mp and all the settings displayed in the viewfinder.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200358 - 05/30/04 06:50 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Ant Offline

Quote:
...because looking at the LCD display in daylight is all washed out. Unless they have overcome that problem
I don't know what they did on previous Olympus models but on the C750UZ the viewfinder is digital, which means that you use it for exactly the same thing that the LCD is normally used for, but because it's enclosed there's not really a problem using it in daylight. The magnification is better too; in fact I don't think I'll ever really use the LCD display on my camera.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200359 - 05/30/04 08:23 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting, I just read a review of the C750UZ and it said this:

"At the upper left of the photo, you can see the electronic viewfinder (EVF). The EVF is not a traditional viewfinder that you're probably used to -- it's more like a little 0.44" LCD display. An EVF is a mixed bag: you get to see what the CCD sees (thus, no parallax error), and menus and settings can be viewed on it. The negatives include increased power consumption, and difficult viewing when it's too bright or too dark. I'd rather have a real optical viewfinder myself, but all these ultra zoom cameras use EVFs."

Sounds like a good solution to me. But I doubt I would buy that particular model because the far zoomed out modes would require the use of a tripod. I would rather stick to a 3x optical zoom.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200360 - 05/30/04 08:58 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Ant Offline

Quote:
....because the far zoomed out modes would require the use of a tripod.
I read that in reviews before I bought it too but I've managed to get some good test pics at 10X zoom without blurring. It's not actually as bad as some reviews say it is.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200361 - 05/30/04 09:29 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
U-96 Offline

Loc: Oxford, United Kingdom
Quote:
because the far zoomed out modes would require the use of a tripod
...and that, my friend, is why Canon created Image Stabilisation on the Powershot S1IS \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#200362 - 05/30/04 09:40 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
DickDastardly Offline

Loc: nowhere much
I'm currently looking at a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10
4MP, 12x Optical Zoom, with Image Stabilisation, f2.8 Leica lens.

Drawbacks: Big (for a digicam), Proprietry Li-Ion battery (tho cheaper ones can be found, still not as convenient as AAs), and the EVF freezes in burst mode (dumbest idea ever if your tracking something, especially birds, tho maybe it was a design compromise).

Other than that it looks great. I've pondered over Fuji S5000, Olympus C-750UZ, but the Panasonic looks like the winner, as its only 70 quid more than the Olympus on Amazon.

"3. A "Remember the Maine" incident could be arranged in several forms:

a. We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba.

b. We could blow up a drone (unmanned) vessel anywhere in the Cuban waters.

... Casualty lists in US newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation.

4. We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even in Washington." (p8)

"7. Hijacking attempts against civil air and surface craft should appear to continue as harassing measures condoned by the government of Cuba.

8. It is possible to create an incident which will demonstrate convincingly that a Cuban aircraft has attacked and shot down a chartered civil airliner enroute from the United States...

a. An aircraft at Eglin AFB would be painted and numbered as an exact duplicate for a civil registered aircraft... At a designated time the duplicate would be substituted for the actual civil aircraft and would be loaded with the selected passengers all boarded under carefully prepared aliases. The actual registered aircraft would be converted to a drone." (p10)

Operation Northwoods Document - 9 March 1962

Top Bookmark and Share
#200363 - 05/30/04 09:47 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does image stabilization work well? I think I would still go with an optical SLR as opposed to the EFV method due to the slow resonse time of it during action shots. Maybe something like the Canon Digital Rebel.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.