Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#200304 - 05/03/04 09:21 PM What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I'm gona buy myself a digital camera. And I figure there are a lot of wise (and not so wise :p ) heads in here who know a thing or ten about cameras judging from the "Show me your digital pics" thread.

Its gona be used mainly for outdoors and aviation photography. Not really for people or parties etc. So I'd like a decent optical zoom. Also I'm looking for the ability to make movies maybe. Lens interchangeability would be useful too because I intend for it to last a good long time. And the price range is about €400-€500 which works out at around $477-$596.

So I've had a sconce around and spotted this little baby:

http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Fin...ePageID=26181#1

Its around €450. What do you think of that? Any one able to recommend a better camera?

Thanks in advance,

Screwballs

Top Bookmark and Share
#200305 - 05/03/04 09:34 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer

Loc: Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Fujifilm S5000

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartne...rltype=overview

10x Optical Zoom, 3.1 Megapixels. 37 to 370mm Equivalent on the Optic, with the optional teleconverter you can get a 550mm Zoom (which is MASSIVE).

Still, the Canon is very much equivalent - just my personal preference. You'll be doing fine with both. The Canon can change Zoom during video, this is something mine can't. OTOH mine does ISO 800.

If the Canon really has a tilt-LCD, then definitly forget the Fuji. I love mine, but fixed LCDs restrict the use somewhat.

Of course, the coolest "serious" piece around currently is the Nikon D70 - but that's 1000 bucks.

Still, it would last you a REALLY long time, and has zero trigger delay from what I gather.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200306 - 05/03/04 10:03 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Huey52 Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I just picked up an Olympus C-740 for Mother's Day. 3.2 MP and 10X optical zoom. It can also capture Quicktime-based movies. It will replace a sub 1 MP Olympus digital that has been a real workhorse for us for a number of years. It was $379 USD at BJ's.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200307 - 05/03/04 10:09 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Thomas DW Offline

Loc: 3rd Planet, Sun
A Cannon A70 3.2 mega pixels is the one I use, light, easy to use and relatively CHEAP. If only I knew how to use it ... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#200308 - 05/03/04 10:21 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ya I know what you mean, there's like a million variations on a theme. Kinda hard to decide on exactly how you want to take the shot. But thats something to look forward to!

It has a tilt-LCD which seems really handy. No bad reviews for it so far on my searching... Gona have to ship it to my rock which might cost a lot!

Screwballs

Top Bookmark and Share
#200309 - 05/03/04 10:26 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer

Loc: Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hhmm, seems you will be fine with the Canon.

It has a little bigger teleconverter (1.6x instead of the 1.5x from the Fuji), and 10mm more basic zoom (380mm instead of 370) it accepts zoom changes during video, and the til LCD is VERY handy in Crowds (and unless you get some Press ID that's where you're gonna take your Airshow Shots from.). Plus it does Histograms for the pictures.

Also, it supports different compression modes, not just different image sizes.

Just try to get one in hand and check Trigger Delay and Serial Shot Functions for their speed or lack off - that's one of the biggest reasons I want a Digital SLR. Both of these models, Fuji as well as Canon, are already high-end amateur models, yet they are still too slow when tracking flying objects.

Top Bookmark and Share
#200310 - 05/03/04 11:03 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Pilgrim_UK Offline

Loc: Scotland
I have the version Before Thomas A60 and its a fabulous little camera. Would recommend the A80 if you can get it.

Got nothing but good words for the Canon A series.

Top Bookmark and Share

#200311 - 05/04/04 12:05 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well looks like its settled then. All I have to do now is convince people to buy it for me... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#200312 - 05/04/04 07:44 AM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Anonymous
Unregistered

Stick with Canon, this from a guy who suffers at night selling digital cameras....

Top Bookmark and Share
#200313 - 05/04/04 02:23 PM Re: What digital camera to get??? All opinions welcome! ;P
Daveyraveygravey Offline

Loc: Sunny Sussex
I have an A70, and I very chuffed with it. Wish I hadn't whacked it when I tripped up, climbing the steps in the Dome at St Peters though!

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... 10 11 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.