Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#191361 - 03/28/04 11:27 AM £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

Loc: South East Asia
What would you do? \:\)

Cheers

(£1800 = $3,275 = 2,690 Euros)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191362 - 03/28/04 11:37 AM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Pilgrim_UK Offline

Loc: Scotland
Do a lot of traveling. \:\)

Why dont you travel europe.

Top Bookmark and Share

#191363 - 03/28/04 11:58 AM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Goodwood Offline
Lifer

Loc: Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Buy a new computer and sleep.
OR:
Buy a nice set of Jedi robes and train to use the Force.
OR:
travel about the country and getting rides in vintage aircraft and visiting museums.
OR: throwing one hell of an orgy... ;\)

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Top Bookmark and Share
#191364 - 03/28/04 12:04 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Dick Dastardly Offline

Loc: Earth
You can go to Something Fishy @ 117-119 Lewisham High Street, London, and get 642 orders of eels and mash. And Pilgrim suggested travel.... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#191365 - 03/28/04 12:13 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL!

Bleurghhhhhh!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#191366 - 03/28/04 02:18 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Broamanov Offline

Loc: The Georgia Swamps.
Quote:
Originally posted by Goodwood:
Buy a new computer and sleep.
OR:
If I bought a new computer, there would be a lot less sleeping... \:D

Support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have!

Top Bookmark and Share
#191368 - 03/28/04 03:11 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

Travelling around Europe is something I've been considering. Throwing an orgy sounds better though. \:D

Any other ideas? \:\)

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share

#191369 - 03/28/04 03:19 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
pcriddle Offline

Loc: Newark, Notts. UK
Yeah if ya want to waste it......
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Send it my way, so I can upgrade my pc \:D
Hmmmmmmmm Alienware

Phil \:D \:D \:D

Windows is a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit extension to an 8 bit Operating System designed for a 4 bit microchip by a 2 bit company which can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191370 - 03/28/04 03:31 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Andy Bush Offline

Loc: St Peters, MO
Invest it. Leave it alone until you retire. That's the best advice anyone will ever give you.

It's hard for young guys to think of it...but there will come a time when you wish that all that money spent on frivolous things had been saved. When I think of all the bucks I spent on silly Corvettes...and what I could be doing with that compounded cash right now...I could smack myself along side the head.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191371 - 03/28/04 03:58 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
U-96 Offline

Loc: Oxford, United Kingdom
^^^

What he said. You've got till April 5th to stick it in a tax-free cash ISA @ 4% \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191372 - 03/28/04 04:00 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
BUFF Offline

Loc: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bush:
When I think of all the bucks I spent on silly Corvettes...and what I could be doing with that compounded cash right now.
yup, could buy a Ferrari or a Lambo \:\)

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums

Top Bookmark and Share
#191373 - 03/28/04 04:51 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

I get your point Andy, and I agree that would be the smartest thing I could do, but at the same time it's not really about the money.

I've literally got nothing to do for 3 and half months. If I go back to living with my parents I will be unbelievably bored all day as they live in the countryside.

I haven't been out of the UK for 6, 7 years and I figured this is about the perfect age to be doing something a little more interesting than sitting around the house watching TV and talking to the cat. I have no family responsibilities, no mortgage, some money in the bank and a heap of time on my hands. The voices in my head are telling me I'd be a complete idiot not to atleast consider doing something.

Quote:
What he said. You've got till April 5th to stick it in a tax-free cash ISA @ 4%
4%? I'm not much of an economist, but isn't inflation roughly 3.5%? Meaning (after inflation) I will be making a whopping £9 in the first year?

Cheers and thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191374 - 03/28/04 05:28 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Pilgrim_UK Offline

Quote:
I have no family responsibilities, no mortgage, some money in the bank and a heap of time on my hands
What the hell you doing here. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191375 - 03/28/04 05:39 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

$3,275.... oh man get another $3,275 and you can buy real doll...

Top Bookmark and Share
#191376 - 03/28/04 05:42 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
valleyboy Offline

Loc: Aberdare, Wales, UK
lol! PDog?.. you stil after that thing eh ?!?

I suppose it is less hasle! :p

Top Bookmark and Share
#191377 - 03/28/04 06:40 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
wolfbiscuits Offline

My view is the opposite of Andy's. I'd go travelling which is what I did at your age, only for a lot longer than 3 months (though I admit you'd be stretching it a bit on that money these days). You're about 20 right? well, that £1800 is the most cash you've had in your hands so it's kind of tempting to play safe hold on to it, but remember you've got 40 years of work and earning potential ahead where you can earn that amount monthly depending on how you apply yourself, the difference later is that you will have a mortgage and responsibilities.
Go backpack style somewhere different, somewhere that has'nt been totally destroyed by tourism, yeah, hard to find I know but it's worthwhile. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191378 - 03/28/04 07:00 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
valleyboy Offline

Go travelling mate... Im 24.. and I wish I did that a few years ago..

One of my mates went round the world for a year.. it cost him £1500 for the tickets etc.. and a company will find work / accomodation for you.. you will need some spending money too.. but he went to New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, and then LA.. and back here.. over a 12 month period.. he was originaly going for 18 months.. but he came back early as he got bored!

You can also go round europe for a month for about £1K.. and you wont have to work on that one...

In the next few months, I will do some travelling.. when I pass my bike test.. and ride the thing in, and get 1st service done.. Im going to go into Europe.. and see where I want to go.. take a little tent with me.. and sleep where I find some flat land \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#191379 - 03/28/04 07:15 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by valleyboy:
lol! PDog?.. you stil after that thing eh ?!?

I suppose it is less hasle! :p
hehehe, does real doll cost more than your new bike? \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#191380 - 03/28/04 07:18 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
valleyboy Offline

hehehe... I think it does! what is £4200 (supposed to be £5200!) in $$$$ ??? \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#191381 - 03/28/04 07:25 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

5200 british pounds = 9,442 dollers... more. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191382 - 03/28/04 09:02 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Goodwood Offline
Lifer

Loc: Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Wolf and Valley are right, Armourdave. Saving for the future is all well and good for some, or if your future is uncertain, but one must always remember to live the way they want to when they have the chance. Do the things you've always wanted to do now, and you won't have to wonder twenty odd years down the road what it would have been like, if only...

Quote:
"If only your aunt had balls, then she'd be your uncle"
If I had that kind of cash and were in your shoes (I am, almost, except for the cash part) I would go for a pilot's license, or at least get a good long ride in the warbird of your choice. If you've heard of Air Combat USA, their fee is only $800 (approx 600 quid?).

Actually, could I borrow a hundred quid mate? \:D

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Top Bookmark and Share
#191383 - 03/28/04 09:55 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
pcriddle Offline

Loc: Newark, Notts. UK
Hoi Goodwood, stop trying to do me out of my new Alienware computer \:D

Phil \:D \:D \:D

Windows is a 32 bit shell for a 16 bit extension to an 8 bit Operating System designed for a 4 bit microchip by a 2 bit company which can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191384 - 03/28/04 10:06 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go to Thailand and get your Holiday and your orgy rolled into one \:D .

p.s when you come back tell us your symptoms of your sexually transmitted disease and we'll try to guess which one you caught ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191385 - 03/28/04 11:45 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buy a used car and go visit Scotland.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191386 - 03/28/04 11:51 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

Thanks for the replies gents!

Pdog, I'm not buying a sex-doll, we have Friday nights at the student union for that kind of activitiy.

wolfbiscuits,

20 yes. I would like to go backpacking somewhere outside of the normal tourist spectrum but normally theres a reason tourists dont goto those places. \:\(

Valleyboy,

When my dad was a few years older than myself he rode from North Spain to South Spain, 95% of the time offroad. It's something I'd love to do some day but I think advisable to do it with another person. Hope you enjoy your trip anyhow, I'm more than a little envious.

Goodwood,

Thanks for the advice.

Anyone have a good idea for a vague route around Europe to follow? \:\)

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#191387 - 03/29/04 01:55 AM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Absolutely, by all means, go ahead and travel. I hope college is going fine BTW.

Quote:
It's hard for young guys to think of it...but there will come a time when you wish that all that money spent on frivolous things had been saved. When I think of all the bucks I spent on silly Corvettes...and what I could be doing with that compounded cash right now...I could smack myself along side the head.
I wouldn't equate travel at 20 with frivolous spending. Dave has more than enough time to watch the compound interests grow, but how long until the responsibilities start piling on?

Top Bookmark and Share
#191388 - 03/29/04 09:27 AM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
U-96 Offline

Loc: Oxford, United Kingdom
well if you are determined to do something abroad, how about volunteering for something? It's a good way to meet the locals \:\)

There's all sorts of stuff - conservation, education work, archaeological digs, spread all over Europe, Africa and Asia. Often you just pay the air fare and get bed and board. It can be hard work, but it sounds like you're looking for an "experience" ;\)

A friend of mine recently went backpacking in Transylvania, said it was a great time - people very friendly and a cheap place to eat and stay. There's a Romanian member on the boards who might be able to advise.

As for that £1800@4%, it's £72 interest in the first year without risk - you might get better returns on the stock market, but then again, you might not ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191389 - 03/29/04 12:42 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

Ajax,

It's going pretty good. Learning a lot which is always a good sign. \:D

U-96,

Yeah but my student loan (where this money is coming from ;\) ) is charged at about 3.5%, so at 4% from the ISA, I might as well just give the money back. :p

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#191390 - 03/29/04 02:07 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer

Loc: Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Quote:
Originally posted by Armourdave:
Thanks for the replies gents!

Pdog, I'm not buying a sex-doll, we have Friday nights at the student union for that kind of activitiy.
The Student Union shares one? :p

Anyway, I'd go for traveling as well. Keyword: Australia.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191391 - 03/29/04 02:26 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

ArmourDave,

Considering your age and modding achievements, I think you well deserve the break, and suggest you do some major backpacking all over Europe in that time. I did that several times when I was a wee student '85-'91. Good for seeing places, meeting people and 'relax' [cough] \:D :p

And you'll still have money left to buy some puter upgrades !

PS Andy Bush, you're not lacking a decent salary as a commercial airline pilot, I take it ? ;\) :p

Top Bookmark and Share
#191392 - 03/29/04 02:33 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
Can I have your three months? I could use three months. You can keep the money.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191393 - 03/29/04 03:45 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
shan2 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I'm with letterboy! \:D

Now...if you were talking about $32000 instead of $3200... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#191394 - 03/29/04 03:55 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Travel Asia. The Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore and Indonesia would be top of my list. Your money will go a lot further for one thing.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191395 - 03/29/04 03:59 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by shan2:
I'm with letterboy! \:D

Now...if you were talking about $32000 instead of $3200... \:D
Now your talkin' upgrades.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191396 - 03/29/04 04:26 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
Jedi Master Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
Yeah, for me it's all about the time. I got money but no time to spend it. Two lousy weeks a year for the next 5 years until I hit 7. \:\( Then I get 3 weeks until I hit FIFTEEN years when I get 4.

I mean, WTF was my union thinking when they negotiated this? The non-union people get 3 weeks at like FOUR years and are probably at 4 weeks by 10. That's assuming I stay here, of course. If I can get a job with a different company or move to civil disservice, I will. The company hates the union anyway for the money they have to pay us.

What's with the modern corporate outlook that in return for the salary they pay us they can treat us however they want and if you don't like it, "too bad"??

The Jedi Master

Top Bookmark and Share
#191397 - 03/30/04 06:10 AM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
VR Offline

Loc: Sacramento California USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Bush:
When I think of all the bucks I spent on silly Corvettes...and what I could be doing with that compounded cash right now...I could smack myself along side the head.
Or you could have been smacking yourself in the head for (despite now having a nice wad of money) not living your past years nearly as nicely as you could have...

But as they say - it'd be easy to plan your finances for life if only you knew exactly how long you were going to live...

Top Bookmark and Share
#191398 - 03/30/04 12:20 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
KraziKanuK Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
Armourdave, as Andy said, BUT.

In 2000, I spent 6 weeks travelling (20,000km) across Canada and some of the USA. The best time I had in along time. Met some interesting people (and no a$$hats either) and some friends from EAW. Money well spent. I should add, this was on a motorcycle.

So spend that money doing some travelling in Canada. \:\) You will be surprised at the size, all Eupies are, ;\) and you can meet some of your sim buddies. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#191399 - 03/30/04 07:12 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
AD Offline

BuddhaBing,

That's definitely an option, but I have friends in various European countries I'd really like to go visit.

KraziKanuK,

I visited Canada (west coast) some years ago and it was one of the best times of my life. Flew into Seattle, drove upto Vancouver, then through Kamloops, Jasper onto Edmonoton. Then drove back to Vancouver and Vancouver Island for a week. Amazing place, I dont think I've ever felt safer than the week I spent on Vancouver Island.

It's a holiday I'd love to repeat but I think even if I "did it on the cheap" it would still cost a fortune. \:\(

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#191400 - 03/30/04 07:47 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
KraziKanuK Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
Can't blame a guy for trying. ;\) You only saw a small portion, though. The people in the east are much nicer, well, except for Toronto:(. (dig, dig to those in God's country ;\) ;\) )

Top Bookmark and Share
#191401 - 03/30/04 07:56 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jedimaster:
What's with the modern corporate outlook that in return for the salary they pay us they can treat us however they want and if you don't like it, "too bad"??

The Jedi Master [/QB]
It's called a tight labor market and all employers are fully aware of it and use it to their fullest advantage.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191402 - 03/30/04 07:57 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilgrim_UK:
Do a lot of traveling. \:\)

Why dont you travel europe.
I would definitely travel Europe. I'd start with the UK and then go to Germany and then Russia.

Top Bookmark and Share
#191403 - 03/30/04 08:18 PM Re: £1800 to burn and 3 months to waste..
valleyboy Offline

hehe.. I'll be going to Germany on my bike... (after test passed!) with a mate of mine... just as far as going to Scotland from where I live!
So I will have to go through France first... so I dont know if I will still be alive when I get there!!
It will probably only be a 2 week treck.. 1 of those weeks will be taken up by just the travelling alone.... make up for my lack of travels when I was a full time student! ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.