Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1905146 - 01/14/06 04:17 AM O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
Wudpecker Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
"cv" was good enough to tell us about Hans von Ohain and Frank Whittle---jet engine pioneers.

But Henri Coanda (who crashed and burned on his first jet airplane flight in 1910) deserves extra mention.
I said he was all but forgotten, and that's true today--but further research shows he was highly honored for his work during his lifetime--not all of it on aeronautics, but building materials and oil storage as well.

Not only did he get the first jet into the air--though it's stretching it a bit to say he actually flew-- but he's responsible for many aerodynamic discoveries.

--Reverse thrust.
--Noise reduction by two different airflows.
--Extra thrust and lift by two airflows for useful extra lift on flaps-- and the theory later developed into the fuel-saving fanjet used today on most airliners.
--The air boundary layer on aircraft surfaces, first called the "Coanda Effect" on jet exhausts and later "laminar flow".
The P-51 Mustang and many WWII German aircraft made good use of laminar flow techniques. The idea was to disturb the flow of air over the "skin" as little as possible.

Laminar flow is why you can't blow all the dust off your car no matter how fast you go.

Coanda got a patent in 1934 for his "fluid flow" techniques that included some of the effects above.
He not only used wind tunnels, but went to direct tryouts of his aerodynamics by mounting models on a high-speed train for testing.

Coanda was technical director of Bristol Airplanes in England until 1914, then went to Dalauney-Belleville Airplanes in Saint Denis for a couple of years and designed three aircraft. He was design consultant for the well-known "Caravelle" airliner.

Coanda designed a flying-saucer looking aircraft in 1935, and told a technical conference in 1967 that:
Quote:
My opinion is we should search for a completely different flying machine, based on other flying principles. I consider the aircraft of the future that which will take off vertically, fly as usual and land vertically. This flying machine should have no parts in movement...]

His 1910 jet airplane also had these innovations:

Quote:

--wings made with steel leading edges instead of wood
--movable slats on the forward wing edge to increase lift
--the wing profile had a strong camber (curve)for lift
--the two wings were of different lengths and the upper wing was set ahead of the lower wing which was shorter.
This reduced the aerodynamic interference between the two surfaces.
This technique was later termed Sesquiplan and reinvented 10 years later where it was applied in Fokker, Brequet, and Poetz aircraft
--Gasoline and oil were stored in the upper wing, reducing the fuselage size and thus drag.
Quite a remarkable guy.

http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/coanda.htm#Coanda-1910

Top Bookmark and Share
#1905147 - 01/14/06 09:52 AM Re: O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
Baron Von Martin Offline

Loc: Peenemuende, MB.
Geez,

Are you sure he didn't wind up liike Diesel?

Having ideas that would put industry into a tail spin?

http://www.planetfuels.co.uk/history/index.php

S!

Top Bookmark and Share

#1905148 - 01/14/06 11:50 PM Re: O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
Wudpecker Offline

Heh, heh, BVM.
It can be dangerous to come up with new power ideas that threaten the oil industry.

You corrected one long-held misconception of mine.
I thought his name was "Otto" Diesel, not Rudolph.
Then who discovered the "Otto cycle"? Old Ernst Otto?

BTW, I once owned a Volkswagen diesel Rabbit about 10 years ago.
It needed adjustment. I got only 45 mpg fuel mileage and was told 50 mpg is a minimum for the Rabbit.
It cost me all of $125 in fuel to go round-trip across the U.S.--nearly 6,000 miles.
Used not a drop of oil, of course.

Another VW Rabbit owner explained to me that he went around to local restaurants and volunteered to clean out their grease pits.
He took the greasy oils, strained them through cheesecloth, and mixed them with kerosene.
Voila! Diesel fuel.
"I haven't bought diesel fuel in years," he said.

Now, with "bio-diesel" getting popular, he's having trouble finding the grease--everyone else got the same idea. :rolleyes:

Maybe the airlines could save money by combining diesel fuel with kerosene for their jets. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1905149 - 01/15/06 12:14 AM Re: O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
RAF_Dumoulin Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hello,

Just few technicals add.....

Wuddy:

Otto is a name.....(familly name)
Cycle of Otto.

Quote:
Nicolaus August Otto (Fig 1) the inventor of the four-stroke cycle was born on 14th June 1831 in Holzhausen (Germany).
In 1862 he began first experiments with four-strokes engines. Together with Eugen Langen he founded the first engine company - "N.A.Otto & Cie". Then they improved the atmospheric gas engine (Fig. 2) and in 1867 they won a gold medal at the Paris Exposition. One of the first four-stroke engines is shown in Fig. 3. A working diagram of this engine is shown in Fig. 4. It corresponds to the today's engines. He died on 26th January 1891 in Cologne.
The Diesel engine..despite the progress made..still the engine (who use derivated product of crude) with the bad output....comparing with the others (explosion engines)

The Diesel engine is the bad in terms of "solids" pollution.
Particules of carbon....
Filters are availables...but requesting big maintenance (cleaning regulary...and where you put the deposits..LOL..) and are very expensive....
It release also...sulphurics products.....(sulphure added for help the combustion and others material matters)
So it's not really a engine for the future..;on the contrary...he must be banned the quickly possible....

Also a remind...of the many possibilities for feed a Diesel engine...
With few adaptation(special injector) you have the possibility to inject pulverised coal...or any grease product and many vegetable products in a Diesel engine...
Experiences was made on big marine Diesel wit smashed bananas...LOL..the engine run..but of course the output was low...

Quote:
Already early Rudolf Diesel (1858 - 1913) was interested in engines. In his youth he was fascinated by the engines of Lenoir and the steam engines that were usual at his time. During his study he learned of his teacher, professor Linde, a famous inventor, that the thermal engine could reach by far a better performance. He referred to the young Frenchman Sadi Carnot (1796 - 1832), who discovered the Carnot' cyclic process, a physical principle that describes the ideal process of the burn in an engine (read more about it in the physics section). Diesel was pursued from now on by the thought to build such an engine. 1890, Diesel had the crucial idea, how the cumbustion process could be improved: The engine takes in just air, which is to be compressed now to a pressure of about 200 bar. At this point, heavy fuel (such as crude oil or petroleum) gets injected by an injector in the air that is heated up because of the huge pressure. The high themperature leads immediately to the inflammation of the fuel by autoignition, which makes a spark plug unnecessary
Sadi Carnot...hehe ..a other frenchman.....

Military regards.

Software is just like sex; it is good only when it's free
My blog
My homepage
WIKI The EAW encyclopedia.
OAWunifiedV1.01 (Final)
US-English interface version
Interface version francaise
Schnittstelle in Deutsch

“If you try this with a modern jet fighter it’s too late, you’re already dead.”
Dumoulin

Top Bookmark and Share
#1905150 - 01/15/06 12:34 AM Re: O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
Wudpecker Offline

Sadi Carnot...Nicholas August Otto Cycle...Rudolph the Diesel reindeer...Coanda the airflow Anaconda...oh, don't confuse me, Dumo. \:D

Sort of Off/Topic, but...
Since we have these new long and wonderous vapor trails (contrails) in our EAW skies...

The weather service discovered air temperature changed several degrees all across the U.S. after all aircraft were grounded on 9/11/2001.

The reason? Lack of contrails from the hundreds of high-flying jets, which usually turn into sun-reflecting clouds.

BTW, Dumo, diesel is a kind of polluter with sulphur and carbon, I suppose.
But my diesel Rabbit never let out a puff of smoke.

I wish I had tried bananas, but they cost too much. :p

Top Bookmark and Share
#1905151 - 01/15/06 12:59 AM Re: O/T Henri Coanda--A Frenchman far ahead of his time
RAF_Dumoulin Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hello Wuddy,

Quote:
But my diesel Rabbit never let out a puff of smoke
I don't write smoke..!!..but I write Solid particules

Mainly..if you see black smoke...certainly you burn few lubricant oil (piston segmentation bad ) or you have a prob in the injection (timing..or leaking injector)
If the smoke go white...it's a indication of to much air in the mix...or also a leak of cooling water (the jacket water..)
Just generall remarks..many others things are involved when you made a full investigation.
I work with diesels engines (marine) from more of 30 years..lol
Normally if a diesel engine run good set..you must seen at the outlet of the funnel...a smoke of a very light brown color (near transparent)

Military regards.

Software is just like sex; it is good only when it's free
My blog
My homepage
WIKI The EAW encyclopedia.
OAWunifiedV1.01 (Final)
US-English interface version
Interface version francaise
Schnittstelle in Deutsch

“If you try this with a modern jet fighter it’s too late, you’re already dead.”
Dumoulin

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.