Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#142645 - 08/07/03 02:35 AM Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
FS2004 / FSX Forum Moderator
Lifer

In Vancouver Canada, saw one of the new Evo’s at a car dealership this afternoon. It’s the only Evo-8 in Canada, I’m told. It was imported from the USA, where it’s legal to sell, but Canadian approval will take “a year” according to the dealer. He said that could mean “Dec ’03 to January ‘05”, depending on how long the Transport Canada (or whoever looks after that) takes…

Anyway, this grey market import cost the buyer $65,000 Canadian, thanks to hassles of importation/red tape. The salesman said that the approved ones, once on the dealer floors, will be somewhere between 40-50K Canadian. He was sure it was going to be inside that bracket, but said it could be anywhere in there. $43K of loonies would probably sound about right to me. He said it would likely come in blue and black, definitely red, and the example was a factory yellow (police bait ?).

The interior was decent, if a little plain. It was better than the 350Z interior, but not even close to the IS300 or G35 Infinity interiors. The headlights/tailights had the reflective backs to them with clear covers, just like the IS300 or Altezza I200, this seems to be a popular styling option today.

Performance wise, it’s got a HUGE intercooler up front and an automatic water spray for it, truly frightening Brembos on all fours. It has twin turbos with little turbolag. Apparently the company offers engine upgrade kits to over 300hp that are covered by Mitsu warranty (yay!). It’s an AWD with 270 hp, for those who don’t know about it, and it’s been VERY popular among the performance Rally crowd.

On a similar note, I saw a Viper GTS street race against a speedbike the other day, over the Burrard Street bridge…they were side to side the whole way! I saw the Viper guy had the back end break loose after a shift in the corner/sweeper (probably going from 2nd to 3rd gear?), he had to apply opposite lock…looked like tons of fun! Not smart to do at 8pm on a Saturday night, with 400,000 people out to see the fireworks though…dumb, plain dumb. But the car…!
\:\) \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#142646 - 08/07/03 02:51 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

You just know I'm gonna be the first one to reply to a thread like that huh? :p

BTW not to be an ass but it only has one snail. It has a twin scroll housing design, I guess the salesman thought it meant twin turbo...

Top Bookmark and Share

#142647 - 08/07/03 03:04 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Grim_Death Offline

Loc: Columbus GA
My friend just bought one yesterday. I have yet to ride in it, I told him to give me a ride after the motor is broken-in and he can put the hammer down.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142648 - 08/07/03 06:54 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

LOL!

Yep, that's the actual car I saw this afternoon! It's just at the west end of the Langley bypass. It actually showed up about a month ago or so at the dealer, but I hadn't had the chance to see it close 'till today. I think it's generating a lot of interest, 'cause two other guys were looking at it just as I was leaving, and the salesman was enthusiastic about it, said there's been lots of people come to see it.

11's ?!?! I never realised it was the same engine as the Eclipse, that explains a few things! That's a VERY tough engine, isn't it? It's the first 4 cylinder street car I know of that got into the low 10's, from amateur class drag racing.

Generally I see that as a good thing...except that I've driven a Talon (1992) and Laser Turbo (a '94 I think), and I was very surprised at significant turbolag in it. That lag actually prevented me from buying a Talon in '94, because during the lag, it has WAY less torque/power than even an ordinary grocery getter that your aunt putters about in. Once it spools up it's great, but I found that it could take as much as two full seconds to get, under some circumstances...

...so I wonder if the lag issues are much improved since then?

Yea, the salesman said two hairdryers, but I guess he was wrong (I haven't been totally up on the specs of this baby).

BTW: what do you mean by "twin scroll" though?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142649 - 08/07/03 07:31 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Basically a twin scroll housing design allows for two streams of exhaust gas to be divided up and spool the turbo faster. Kind of like if you had two manifolds connected to it. This minimizes interference between the exhaust pulses coming from the cylinders. End result = less lag...if you look at boost maps for the EVO compared to a WRX the EVO spools a bit faster, even if it has a larger turbo.

It's 2:30 AM, I'll try to give a better answer tomorrow...lol

Top Bookmark and Share
#142650 - 08/07/03 08:24 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
mucat Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
If Mitsubishi don't bring the evo8 over, we in canada can always get the STI, I haven't saw it on the street yet, but my brother saw it. Well, those are still small compact cars. If only Subaru bring the Legacy B4 over.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142651 - 08/07/03 08:30 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Goodwood Offline
Lifer

Loc: Detroit - in the Danger Zone!
Anything with a Merlin 66 or Griffon 73 and I'm game, chaps! \:D

Do-ro'ik vong pratte!

Top Bookmark and Share

#142652 - 08/07/03 09:05 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
CheckSix Offline

Loc: UK
Here ya go Goodwood \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#142653 - 08/07/03 06:29 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
an evo is one of the few cars I would consider purchasing. However, I like the older evo styling (5?) better than the new styling.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142654 - 08/07/03 07:03 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
U-96 Offline

Loc: Oxford, United Kingdom
I have to disagree with PV and say I like the new Evo8 styling - it's a lot less aggressive and angular than previous versions, which always put me off the car. Then again, I also like the older Skyline and Impreza shapes, just to be awkward \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#142655 - 08/07/03 07:19 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Quote:
11's ?!?! I never realised it was the same engine as the Eclipse, that explains a few things! That's a VERY tough engine, isn't it? It's the first 4 cylinder street car I know of that got into the low 10's, from amateur class drag racing.
Ah, sorry, it appears I was talking out of my ass. Previous Lancers had the same 4G63 as the DSMs but the Evo 5/6/7/8 use a new version of it, it's sort of "mirrored" - it sits differently in the engine bay and the flywheel comes out on the other side. The head is different as well.

Some of the internals are basically the same but the mirrored configuration means that nothing from a DSM 4G63 will fit on the Evo 4G63 \:\( Their potential is pretty similar though.

Look at that:
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Products/Evo8/EVO-11-91at11771mph.wmv

The only mods are intake, exhaust, BOV, ported manifold, injectors/fuel management and cams.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142656 - 08/08/03 10:26 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
mucat Offline

Thats fast!!!
What kind of mod does that evo have?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142657 - 08/08/03 07:41 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

speaking of fairly fast cars, here is what I was driving last week (borrowed from a friend)

Top Bookmark and Share
#142658 - 08/08/03 07:45 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Jedi Master Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
Um, PV...
1) That's a 944. Not the greatest Porsche ever made. Might even qualify as the least.
2) No glass? No mirrors? No DOOR HANDLES?!?!??!

The Jedi Master

Top Bookmark and Share
#142659 - 08/08/03 08:59 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

1) I know. Still fun to drive.

2) It just rolled out of the paintbooth... and was having the windshield replaced. Give me a break :rolleyes:

Top Bookmark and Share
#142660 - 08/08/03 09:34 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Purists never liked it because of its engine configuration, but intrinsically it's basically a better car than the previous cheap Porsches.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142661 - 08/09/03 04:00 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Anonymous
Unregistered

"1) That's a 944. Not the greatest Porsche ever made. Might even qualify as the least.
"

-

The plain 944 was not much to speak of.

The 944 Turbo was a different story altogether. Possibly the finest Porsche of the 1980s (excepting the 959, of course). Its performance was equal to or better than most 911 variants, and reliability and structural rigidity were WAY better.

It was such a package that Porshe limited sales to just a few years, as it stole away too many sales of the (more expensive) 911.
The top-of-line 944 Turbo S only lasted about 2 years in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

But the 944 could never match the 911 for looks. It just looked way to much like an early-gen RX-7.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142662 - 08/09/03 10:47 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

Well, a bone stock 944 never had any respect from the sail yacht and country club set...

...but it was one of the very best handling sportscars of all time. In raw numbers, there might have been a few that exceeded it, but it was without a doubt tops in terms of predictable handling, even in severe oversteer. My own personal car, Nissan 240sx, seems to share very nearly the same layout and handling (I think Nissan was deliberatly trying to copy the 944 for the US market, and the 944 Turbo for the Japan market using the Sylvia engine).

By contrast, the P 930 Turbo of the 80's was a handful, and especially when driven at the limit, you really needed serious racing skills to keep from wrapping yourself around a tree, or 18 wheel transport. Today's 996Turbo is a pussycat, handling wise (even though it's got way more performance).

Also, when it comes to handling, the 914, although easily one of the ugliest CARS of all time (and by far the ugliest Porsche, to me), actually had exceptional handling, better than the 911 of the time. The ultra-light weight of it, and it's power when you added the Carrera engine (the 914-6), made it a track monster.

One idea I've been toying with is getting a nice old 912 (basically a Porsche 911 from the early 70's, but using only a 4 cylinder instead of the 6), and putting in a "street-rod" VW Bug motor. They can be had from 180 to 225 hp before power adders. Thing is, a turnkey motor like that seems to be really expensive, like $8000 for only 190hp...so I'm not very sure this is worth it. But, it would be a real classic Porsche, weigh the same as a CRX, rear engine, better handling than the 911 (because the engine is lighter), and 190hp. That would give pretty darn good performance.

\:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#142663 - 08/09/03 01:31 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

the 914 is the squarish, flat-looking porsche, correct?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142664 - 08/09/03 01:31 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

the 914 is the squarish, flat-looking porsche, correct?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142665 - 08/10/03 03:20 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

Yea, it is quite flat and rectangular shaped. I think it was actually a joint venture with VW, using some Bug parts. Many young Europeans bought them in the 70's, when I was there. I think they were really cheap, compared to the alternatives in Germany.

http://www.allsportauto.com/detailphoto.php3?zl_id=2747&zl_idMD=385

http://www.google.ca/images?as_q=&svnum=...ch=&safe=images

Truth be told, as incredibly ugly as it is, it wouldn't take that much to change it's cosmetics into a very nice looking car...I know one company in California does just such a thing, and it's a lot nicer.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Lane/5240/images/mes0007.gif

Also, if you prefer "American Torque"(TM) :
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/main.htm

Top Bookmark and Share
#142666 - 08/10/03 05:10 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
usa320 Offline

Loc: US
Ive got a 69' El Camino....best damn car ever made.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142667 - 08/10/03 02:36 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Haggart Offline

Loc: Texas
The El Camino was good.....we used to go up and down the beach in ours looking for wood washed up to build campfires with. We also owned an Edsel...push button transmission on steering wheel. Under the hood it had as many wires as the older color televisions.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142668 - 08/10/03 03:07 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Turbo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CheckSix:
Here ya go Goodwood \:D

I have NEVER EVER seen a car soooooo ugly!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#142669 - 08/10/03 04:09 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

That's worse than the family truckster \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#142670 - 08/12/03 01:49 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Jesus, that thing is hideous.

About the EVO, guy I know in NY just test drove one, his comments:

Quote:
First off the car is nice inside, the seats are cool, but the shifter sucks. when you are in the showroom it feels ok, but on the road it is too far back...I'm used to the shifter being forward, more close to the radio, this one is like by your hip. When shifting to second (gears towards the back) you almost lose the shift. Also with the steering wheel in a comfortable position I couldn't see the tachometer. But any way I step on the gas and the car is quick, kind of what I expected, but nothing earth shattering. It has a smooth power band. What I didn't like though was that it stuttered alot when out of boost, I know the car was modified but it shouldn't stutter like that and I know the car had a full exhaust, but it sounded like shit...maybe I'm just spoiled by the sound of Japanese 6 cylinders.

Now for the worst part...the car rose like absolute shit. I couldn't spend more than an hour in this car. I was already getting a headache. And I don't want to hear people telling me how )Oh, it's a rally car, it should feel like that". NO IT SHOULDN'T. That Ford Sierra I had was a rally car with a fully adjustable suspension and it didn't ride that hard PLUS the Ford was faster, handled better, and was 12 years older! This is a stock setup and it was unbearable. My Dad's old Corvette which had a suspension for road racing that felt like a truck was more comfortable than this. I mean if this was your second car, then fine, but for driving to work or any duration of time, forget it. Now, the steering was really good and very quick, but it tended to wander on the parkway, although I didn't mind that.

So overall, I was expecting to drive this and be convinced that this would be my next car. And after two minutes I couldn't wait to get out of it. I can see that it is definetly a good car for the track, but it is horrible to ride in as a daily driver. What's funny is I have driven cars that are faster and handle better and they would still be a good daily driving car. Plus when you are driving it it doesn't really feel like anything, the interior gets bland fast and the ride makes it lose it's appeal even that much quicker. I guess I am just very dissapointed in the car. Although I am glad I did drive it and eliminate it from my choices of cars.
Caveat emptor.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142671 - 08/12/03 02:17 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
vonKhan Offline

Loc: To, Canada
Ewww!!! 50K for that pos?

It looks like a stylized Honda Civic/Mitsubishi Lancer!! The styling is so stuck in the late 90s.

Okay the engine matters, but styling is a big part of defining how cutting edge a car is.

Id take a Beamer or G35 over that Japanese teen-mobile any day!

Top Bookmark and Share
#142672 - 08/12/03 08:19 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

Any reviews for an RX-8?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142673 - 08/12/03 08:57 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

[quote]Any reviews for an RX-8? [/quote][img]http://www.rx8club.com/attachment.php?s=7f00dffa017738ffbba5aa7e2b0131ae&postid=86764[/img]

Top Bookmark and Share
#142674 - 08/12/03 10:11 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

Sorry, but what's that? An FDS-whachamacal it?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142675 - 08/13/03 12:14 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Sorry, nerdspeak for the 3rd-generation RX-7 (93-95)...1st gen = FB, 2nd = FC, etc.

The RX-8 really isn't a replacement for the FD, in fact Mazda is supposed to bring back the RX-7 within the next few years.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142676 - 08/13/03 12:19 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Oh, and it looks like we won't be getting the current EVO after all. Was posted in the Toronto Star recently.

Quote:

Not available in Canada, I'm sorry to report.

It seems the below-bumper intercooler on this 271 horsepower all-wheel-drive ball of fire sits directly in harm's way for the Canadian front crash test, which is more stringent than that used by the United States.

Pierre Gagnon, president and CEO of Mitsubishi's operations in North America, told me three days ago that he would love to have the Evolution VIII — as it's called in some markets, but not U.S. where it's just plain Evolution — in Canada.

But he said it would be very expensive to re-engineer the current car for the small number of units they'd sell in Canada, and that we'll probably have to wait until the next-generation Lancer arrives.

That schedule isn't cast in stone, but it's probably calendar year 2006 (model year 2007) for the bread-and-butter cars, with the next Evo — Evo IX, anyone? — perhaps coming along several months to a year later.
I don't get it, it's not like a FMIC will crush your legs

Top Bookmark and Share
#142677 - 08/13/03 01:02 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

Hmm.

Well, the Evo isn't exactly lightweight. It isn't got much displacement either. $50k is too much for it, I'm thinking.

I tend to agree that the G35, either sedan or coupe is a better, nicer car. It might not make an appearance with CARS rally series, but anyway.

I think that Toyota should come out with an Eaton charger for it's IS300, boost it to around 333hp, say ;\) \:D while still under warranty. That could be fun!

Top Bookmark and Share
#142678 - 08/13/03 05:41 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is all this talk of $50k Evos?

Here in Columbia, SC, they have a few of them on the lot, all priced at $30,280.

The car looks especially good in blue, but for the money, I think I would go with a 350Z (and have a little dough left over for performance mods).

Top Bookmark and Share
#142679 - 08/13/03 05:55 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Paul Morrison Offline
Lifer

Loc: Canada
30k USD = 50 K CDN.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142680 - 08/13/03 06:26 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Electra Offline

Loc: Arizona
If I were into this little pocket-rocket scene, I'd rather save a little bit more for the WRX STi or even get a cheaper SRT-4 and use the remaining 10k for mods ( even though I hear they are actually going for 23k at some dealerships ).

Harold Kahler, O4 USAF F-105D, Lincoln NE, MIA 6/14/69 LAOS
GBNF

Top Bookmark and Share
#142681 - 08/13/03 06:36 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
mucat Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PV:
Any reviews for an RX-8?
It can do 0-60 in mid 5s, but you will have to do a high rev (8000 rpm???)clutch drop to launch that fast. It lack low end torque from what I read.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142682 - 08/13/03 06:47 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer

Thanks Paul!

I don't know, I have disliked the Subarus ever since I saw what a poor latteral grip they actually do. The new/current North American STI, for instance, can apparently only do 0.86 G's latteral. The Evo can do about 0.96 or so, if I remember right. That's a big difference.

For instance, the 1991 GMC "Syclone" super-truck would do about .86 G's. The Corvette, stock from the factory in street form, typically is around 0.98 . An autocross prepped Miata or CRX, can do over 1.15 G's. A bone stock Integra GSR is about 0.94, and a stock ITR probably around 0.99 or so.

I suspect that my own car, a basically stock 240sx, with really good rubber, probably does 0.90 to 0.93 about. So for me to settle on less is rediculous. Especially when I got my current car for probably the insurance cost of the STI.

I've seen today that there are supercharger kits for the IS300. Nice car, just needed more power, like 270hp at the wheels. Fortunately, this is what the kit offers. Reviewers have been saying the IS has the handling feel of a pure sportscar...a good thing if you ask me.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142683 - 08/13/03 07:20 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Rick thanks for the email, I have the SCC at work but I didn't catch those bits.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142684 - 08/22/03 07:09 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Rally Evo 5...

[img]http://www.overdrivegraphics.com/evo2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.overdrivegraphics.com/evo4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.overdrivegraphics.com/evo5.jpg[/img]

Top Bookmark and Share
#142685 - 08/22/03 07:34 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

Ajax, do you use an anti-lag system?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142686 - 08/22/03 08:20 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

That green Lancer has one actually- the hardware was already mounted from the factory, it just needed the appropriate ECU software to make it operational. They don't use it often though, again for reliability reasons.

Top Bookmark and Share
#142687 - 08/22/03 09:13 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

Ajax,
Are you familiar with Libra Racing or Vermont Sports Car?

Top Bookmark and Share
#142688 - 08/22/03 10:16 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Yeah I heard some good stuff about Libra :)

Top Bookmark and Share
#142689 - 08/23/03 06:49 PM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
‍Ajax Offline
Bigfoot

Apparently the RX-8 was indeed overrated and Mazda is revising down the ratings to 238 HP for the manual and 197 for auto. Owners will be offered the option of selling the car back to Mazda or getting free servicing for the duration of the warranty.

This is EXACTLY the same thing that occurred with the Miata two years ago :o

Top Bookmark and Share
#142690 - 09/15/03 04:01 AM Re: Saw the Lancer Evo 8 today…
PV Offline

just finished a lot of work on my car. Here are some new pics

car pics

ajax, what is your shop called again? Camo Tuning?

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.