Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Don't try this at home ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1289584 - 11/11/03 09:22 PM Don't try this at home ...
Ian Boys Offline

Loc: Broadbottom UK
After 10 mission, 80 ground kills and 4 air kills, Major Tatarenko was killed in action near Bogushevsk today. After a successful attack on the airbase he attempted to strafe a passing German train, which was full of ammunition and duly blew up as he passed overhead.

How many campaigns have I ended this way and why don't I bloody learn???

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289585 - 11/11/03 09:26 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
609 Avatar Offline

Loc: CT, USA

LOL Welcome to the club, Club Dead! You must just be a fellow glutton for punishment type. ;\)

ASUS P5N32-E Plus, Core 2 Duo E6850, EVGA 8800GTX 175.19s, 2 Raptor 74gb & 150gb, 2 SATA 200gb, 2gb Corsair DDR2800, OCZ 700W PS, HP DVD-RW, X-Fi 64mb Pro, 22" NEC Fe2111SB, XP SP2, Tai Chi watercooled case

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289586 - 11/11/03 09:26 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
Hunter82 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Don't worry I think I'm the first mate on that boat \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289587 - 11/11/03 09:26 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL! last night I was flying K-4 (fresh dynamic campaign using Release Candiate). My schwarm engaged La-7s once we were done with that I decided to go for a train. I shot the last few wagons which triggered chain explosion and wiped out the whole train except the damn AA wagon, got both of wings shot through as well as engine and fuselage, luckily I was close to my base it took me 10 minutes to line up just for the approach pattern but I did it \:\) Did I lean something ? Well yeah that I can land 109 even with holes in both of my wings \:D I though I believe my mechanics gave up on fixing my machine...

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289588 - 11/11/03 10:03 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
Hondo Offline

Loc: Braunschweig, Deutschland
i hear ya, ian. it's always this oh-come-on-just-a-single-strafing-run-voice appearing in our heads... \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289589 - 11/12/03 07:31 AM Re: Don't try this at home ...
jerrykraut Offline

Loc: Near Bremen
This happend to me more into grounding the plane, cause missinterpreted speed and radius from the curve to climb. \:\(
Tried yesterday the RC2 files in catching B17´s in 7.500m altitude with A8/R2 and 262 with R4M, one hunter against four Möbelwagen experts. \:D
Very tough planes. Nearly 10% of my engagings endet in the explosion of two planes: the bomber and me \:D . I prefer head on´s. At least two times it happend, that the sky was cleared from all, cause the bombload blowed up all five.
More than the half of my engages ended before the last could be downed, cause I have to do an intensive look at the ground. \:D
It´s a sim, okay, but what a sim Oleg and his mates made available. Respect and honour to them, and the crews, who flew this machines in reality.

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289590 - 11/12/03 12:23 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dreaded B-17s \:\) Anyone tried that little BI-1 rocket plane to have a go at their formations? The kamikase one with the 54 second fuel load that goes straight up \:\)

Airspeed at 7000m is 1020km/h and heavily armoured. Might come in handy

Ming

Top Bookmark and Share

#1289591 - 11/12/03 01:20 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
OzZiggy Offline

Loc: Back in Australia: missing bav...
oh dear, another DEAD hero of the soviet union

S!

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289592 - 11/12/03 01:33 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to enter myself for the title of 'Most stupid campaign death ever' \:\)

I was about 9 missions into a Bf109-F4 campaign with 4 kills and was looking good for my next 3. I had just pulled into a nice position behind three DC3 Dakotas, I moved really close so as to get all three with a little ammo as possible when they opened fire. So the screen goes black and I'm thinking 'WTF' where did those Dakotas get tail gunners from! well after a few seconds I remembered that these were in fact Li2's, a licence built version of the DC3 with defensive gunners \:\(

I deserved that, I thought afterwards \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#1289593 - 11/12/03 03:25 PM Re: Don't try this at home ...
yarbles Offline

Loc: Gambrills, Maryland
Wow, that is amazing. I was flying the 'experten' campaign and after 42 missions, I had accumulated 16 air kills, and 95 ground units destroyed. I died by a single flak shell placed between my eyes. The fact that you accumulated such impressive ground kills in a fraction of what it took is truly amazing. Hats off to you, sir!

As for the pain you feel, I know it all to well brother. Once I started flying with the 'dead-is-dead' mentality, it twisted my pysche. I've reflown the experten campaign well over a dozen times only to die and be 'forced' to either restart that campaign or try another one. My goal in life is 100 sorties without dying. I think it's impossible but I keep trying. Sick isn't it? yarbles

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Boys:
After 10 mission, 80 ground kills and 4 air kills, Major Tatarenko was killed in action near Bogushevsk today. After a successful attack on the airbase he attempted to strafe a passing German train, which was full of ammunition and duly blew up as he passed overhead.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.