Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » Flying Sideways
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1915714 - 06/11/06 10:10 AM Flying Sideways
PipsPriller Offline

Loc: Canberra, ACT, Australia
I've just had to do a reinstall of EAW and I have the most odd flying behaviour.

I can only really describe it as flying sideways, as if I have full rudder on. Yet the joystick is programmed, so I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions? \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915715 - 06/11/06 10:36 AM Re: Flying Sideways
Hans Stresse Offline

Loc: France
Hi, PipsPriller! Maybe i've just the same problem as you sometimes...The only thing i do is to pause the game, then i move my joystick on the left, right, front, back and then, when i unpause, i can fly alright...You can try to move your joystick in every position even with the game unpause, but beware of crashes! I don't know if this will help you, but for me it's good.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1915716 - 06/11/06 11:59 AM Re: Flying Sideways
Flying Tiger Offline

Loc: Geelong . Australia
You've reached what is called the 'WALL' in
EAW, the very edge of the matrix!! Others
will tell.

Ade

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915717 - 06/11/06 03:30 PM Re: Flying Sideways
james Offline

Loc: Blackpool Lancashire, UK
i had the same prob last night,

i got a new joystick and set up the options on config screen, and they seemed to be fine.

i started game (on ground) and the throttle and rudder seemed ok, i accelerated to max speed then went to take off..

i got off the ground and also wnet "sideways", could go any other way.

quit the game (well crashed into ground) and checked joystick settings, they were fine.

anyway... i exited game and went on control panel, and checked game controlers, found my joysitick and checked it.

was wierd! it wasnt configured at all.

was only going one way, anyway configured it and all is ok now.

prob not the prob your having though, but thought id share.

Sir Winston Churchill

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915718 - 06/12/06 10:04 AM Re: Flying Sideways
PipsPriller Offline

It's simliar to your prob James, but not quite the same.

It's as if I'm flying with full right rudder. My Joystick rudder is selected in the Configure game section, so I tried switching to keyboard for rudder, and the problem disappeared and the aircraft flew fine. Went back into the Config game section, switched back to joystick for rudder, and the problems back. Frustrating.

I vaguely remember this problem being mentioned once before by someone, but for the life of me I can't find any mention in the 'search' facility.

Ideas anyone?

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915719 - 06/12/06 10:12 AM Re: Flying Sideways
Pobs Offline

Loc: North Wales, UK
Pips,

you tried the joystick =0/1 thingie in the ini ?....

cheers,

Pobs

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915720 - 06/12/06 11:49 AM Re: Flying Sideways
Anthony Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, what Pobs said.

Top Bookmark and Share

#1915721 - 06/12/06 06:39 PM Re: Flying Sideways
VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
About the WALL.

Many campaigns have a lot of targets placed to EAW's end of the map or what is referred to by Tiger, the end of the map matrix.
Without proper editing of the campaignfiles and the single mission target selection, such targets remain in effect and can still be selected.
It can happen that if you are directed to the Wall you may eventually run into it and the game doesn't allow you to cross it's boundary.
The result is when you hit it the plane can no longer move towards the other (still visible) side of the wall and the plane will no longer move forward. It can only turn back or move sideways along the boundary.
Sometimes you can be behind the wall yourself and your target is within the Matrix, also then you can not cross as the boundary works on both sides.
Should you try to fly the opposite direction you may eventually fly directly into your computer's memory, which is displayed as a terrain simmilar to the Alps mod.
EAW tries to interpret the data it finds there as an elevation map and when your plane's data enters that area it will overwrite vital data stored there and eventually lead to a CTD.
Switching to an external view often leads to an immediate CTD, due to the way the outside views are rendered, while remaining in your cockpit will allow you often to fly through this bizarre landscape for a while.
To prevent this problem you should not select an airbase or target which is visually near the edge of the map.

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915722 - 06/13/06 05:16 AM Re: Flying Sideways
PipsPriller Offline

Oh dear, how embrassing. \:o

Thanks Pobs, changing the joystick from 0 to 1 did the trick. Dammit this time I'm going to make a note of it and keep it in my EAW knowledge folder. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#1915723 - 06/13/06 06:12 AM Re: Flying Sideways
Flying Tiger Offline

Loc: Geelong . Australia
Sorry folks, I did'nt realise you were
talking about joystick probs.

Thanks for more on the 'Wall' VB it IS
weird flying along it or against it.

Ade

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.