As provided by Col. Earl "Dutch" Miller

Quote:
April 21

1943:
The following was gleaned from Hugh Dow's history of the 350th Fighter Group's flight operations:

Four pilots of the 347th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, got lost on the way from Orleansville, Algeria to Telegrma, a waystop enroute to Le Sers, Tunisia. The flight of P-39s encountered low ceiling and low visibility and ended up 100 miles south of the course on the edge of the Sahara Desert and low of fuel. Spotting a nomad family with camels, they crash landed the P-39s near them. The next day, the nomads led them on a 9-hour trek to the nearest town, Negrine. The pilots were 1st Lt. Robert A. Dietrich (leading), 2nd Lt. Joseph P. Fernandez, 2nd Lt. William G. Nisbet and 2nd Lt. John B. Sanstead (wingmen). 1st Lt. Robert J. Frisby, also a member of the flight at takeoff, left the flight earlier and landed safely at Biskra.

(Here is what I don't understand about this episode. I assume this was a ferry flight, but why did Frisby, the element leader, leave the flight and why didn't his wingmen follow him?)

1944:
I conducted a formation training session in a P-39N for 1:10 hours.

The quote below is from the War Diary 345th Fighter Squadron by Captain Allan C. Wills, S-2 Officer:

"21. A G.I. Stage Show consisting of G.I. talent from the American and British units on the base was presented in Alghero tonight. This show was planned and directed by Cpl. Gleason ot the 345th and Greenwood of the 23 squadron, R.A.F. and was well received.
Two men were slightly burned in a small fire in the Transportation Section of the squadron. The fire was quickly extinguished without damage to equipment.
The officers staged a party at the officers' mess with the usual hilarious results."

1945:
The following was gleaned from Hugh Dow's history of the 350th Fighter Group's flight operations:

1st Lt. Addison A. Bachman and 2nd Lt. William E. Hosey of the 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group, on a two-ship recce in support of the Allied advance with P-47s armed with guns and rockets, destroyed five Tiger tanks, 11 motor trucks and one staff car. They also damaged nine motor trucks and three horse-drawn vehicles, killing the horses. On the way to home base they strafed two 88mm howitzers and ammunition carts, causing a terrific explosion. The following day Bachman was KIA.

The quote below is from the War Diary 345th Fighter Squadron by Captain Allan C. Wills, S-2 Officer:

"21. Only 6 missions were flown today - all of them being armed recces. One pilot of the 345th squadron bailed out and the tanks that rescued him were directed by a 345th Squadron L-5 pilot, Lt. Collinsworth.
Cpl. El Mason has been given a vote of thanks by a dazed Brazilian pilot, who crashed on the runway yesterday. Cpl. Mason helped the pilot from his plane.
Sunday, the baseball team journeys to Leg horn to play the 78th Fighter Control Squadron.
Doctor Brock today presented the editor of the Whistle, pictures of both Lt. Middleton's and Lt. Clayton's demolished planes."

earl