Forum Archives » Complete » IL-2 Sturmovik » Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26 27 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#986611 - 01/21/02 08:13 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

hehe...Ok maybe its not the *worst* ever but you have to admit that it gets your attention alot better than its the most average padlock ever...attached to one of the finest sims.

Whatever they are modeling in the rear quarter is their problem...if I can see the plane then they have to allow me to padlock it. I mean I was playing the campaign and just stopped because of the frustration of the dmn view system...no matter how good everything else is if I cannot see it to enjoy.....

Hey everyone...yup Flanker reunion...so most of the people in Hyper Lobby are using Padlock...great. But hey are they using unlimited ammo...not nearly as talented with these things as I used to be...need lots and lots of stuff to throw at the other guy...unlimited stuff. hehe...or a AA-11.

Pierre PAPA DOC Legrand

Top Bookmark and Share
#986612 - 01/21/02 08:32 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
XXXXVIII Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Papadoc,

This is what I have been using lately (repost of a thread started by Lawyer):

The Internal cockpit view (F1) and using the POV hat on my joystick mapped to the Snap view that are default with two exceptions:

Hat 0 set to Look Up Front (this gives about a 45 degree up - useful for looking just above normal view, especially useful during landing).

Hat 180 set to Look Down (this gives about a 45 degree down view - good for instruments).

The I have a spare Joystick key mapped to Look Up (Keypad 5 key) and another toggling between Normal and Wide view. Press the Look Up key plus the POV hat and you get the 45 degree above views of the normal POV. The Hat 0 gives directly up.

The above combo works well for me.

I have stopped using Padlock. I find that I get easily disorientated and have to use the Look Forward while padlocking to get oriented again. Took awhile to get used to no padlock but you quickly get to not miss it.

My 2 cents anyway. Give it a try.

Matt.
MSI K9N Platinum | AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.8Ghz | 2GB GeIL Ultra DDR2-800 | Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 320MB | ViewSonic VX2255wm-3 22" & VX924 19" | Seagate 320GB SATA II | Pioneer DVR-212 DVD-RAM | Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 | Windows XP SP3

Top Bookmark and Share

#986613 - 01/21/02 09:14 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’m waiting for the TM Cougar to come out so that I can use the mini stick on the TQS to replicate the mouse panning movement...Hopping that I can get rid of Padlock all together and use the thumb to control my head

IMHO, "realistic" padlocking will always be a hard thing to achieve because at the end of the day, it's the software that dictates the views within pre-set parameters.

I do not like using snap views in a dogfight because it does not replicate smooth/fast/continuous movement and becomes "unnatural"/robotic in nature, but has its place for general viewing etc…Pan view ranges of movement are limited.

I have seen tracks with pilots using the TrackIR thing-me and it looks absolutely stunning!
I personally do not like the idea of using my head as a means of view control, but the idea is spot on. Hence my wait for the TM Cougar were, like I said, I will endeavour to replicate the TrackIR type control through the mini stick(should be easy to achieve due to itsincredible programmability).

I think that all of these valid/constructive issues/points with the Padlock system should be sent to Oleg and co for them to digest and work on if we ever want these issues to be resolved.

BTW, when in a game with icons off, Padlock does not make the distinction from friend or foe, which of course replicates “reality”

S!app

------------------
"Never judge a sausage by it's skin"

Top Bookmark and Share
#986614 - 01/21/02 09:39 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PAPADOC:
Hey everyone...yup Flanker reunion...so most of the people in Hyper Lobby are using Padlock...great. But hey are they using unlimited ammo...not nearly as talented with these things as I used to be...need lots and lots of stuff to throw at the other guy...unlimited stuff. hehe...or a AA-11.

Hi Pierre, LC, Zeke, and the rest...

I just flew a Hyperlobby co-op tonight, padlock, unlimted ammo and I had the Yak 9U. Love the Yak-9 but it's load is so small!

Needless to say I created much havok with that big bad nose cannon(the T would have been even better though!)... 4 dead Me-109s in one hop!

It's funny though, I find that with IL-2s padlock I can maintain full SA in a knife fight and no mini-HUD! All that Flankerin' has paid off.

BTW... I'm running IL-2 on a GF3 Ti500 maxed settings at 1152 and 32 bit color with no hicups and it is bloody beautifull!

Lovin' this sim big time!

Cheers

Top Bookmark and Share
#986615 - 01/21/02 10:19 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Lastchance Offline

Loc: Reseda,Calif,USA
Hi Guys! Shep,Louie,Papa we gotta do a 4sum
mud mission...soon,,got a X-45 HOTAS,stuck
with full left rudder all the time..
last hope format c: what a pain! jus put
a p-4 together(1.5gig)512 ram GTS2 vid64mb
L.C.

------------------
Don't eat lunch pack a
chute!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#986616 - 01/21/02 11:07 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Mahoney Offline

Loc: Twickenham, London, UK
Good grief - PD! Is Nos going to show up too? I'm having 5 year flashbacks here... Lol.

Good to see your posting style hasn't changed!

Rob

------------------
Cpt Mahoney, RFC 266

Top Bookmark and Share
#986617 - 01/21/02 11:11 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Dolfo Offline

Yes, I agree, its not a good padlock, esp #2 IS VERY FRUSTRATING !!!

------------------
Dolfo's Homepage

Top Bookmark and Share

#986618 - 01/21/02 11:54 AM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by PAPADOC:
Hey Sean,

In the many long and tedious padlock battles fought when the demo came out it was admitted that many of the options for padlock were driven by the multiplay contingent, specifically the Warbirders and Air Warrior types.

About multiplay I just dont have any desire to get into it. Just when I would be getting ready to do something special one of the little ones will do something that I want to see and in a decision between my little ones and online...well thats not a hard one.

But thanks for the offer.

Pierre PAPA DOC Legrand

Exactly my point all along.

PL discussions worms its way eventually into two seperate discintive areas.

Online & Offline.

Offline: Design any PL you desire and it only has to satisfy the particular end user.

Online: Its like opening a can of worms,and has to be fair to EVERYONE.

I'm from the AW/WB camp, and I'm sorry,but I won't budge an inch,when it comes to magical abilities.

My relentless attacks on previous WWII sim PL's and their compromises to realism in this forum and others early on in IL-2's development helped convince Oleg to create a PL that was fair Online.

The only thing that may enhance this IMO, is too create a patch or Add-on CD for $, with a feature for different levels of PL, too satisfy different expectations of PL,but still allow Online Settings to guide the fair play.

------------------
Rattler
The Outlaws
IL-2 Sturmovik's Full Realism Hub

Top Bookmark and Share
#986619 - 01/21/02 12:51 PM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where is Nos anyway?

Ok scratch that - WHO is Nos anyway? I suspect everyone and no-one

The padlock seems fine to me PD, some tuning along the lines that you've indicated would be good but it's functional and the fog of war thing is very well simulated

When they're not moving around much they're usually too far off to padlock up anyway so it's not really needed. I don't want a magic radar thingy (I know you don't either) and the EAW padlock but without the rear magic view would be excellent, this one is more like AH's

I don't need padlock until I get close and I use the "Target Next Enemy" on a stick button lots, another button for F1 to toggle padlock for re-acquiring targets - I think that if you're following his manoeuvres you can keep him in sight at all (most) times - so padlock sticks ok...

Ming

Top Bookmark and Share
#986620 - 01/21/02 01:01 PM Re: Easily the Worst padlock ever....
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Stinger:
It's funny though, I find that with IL-2s padlock I can maintain full SA in a knife fight and no mini-HUD! All that Flankerin' has paid off.

Agreed [pre Track IR], but for me, with Track IR it takes it to another level, no padlock, no snap views. Took some convincing from simpilot "DNME" and one particular tweak to get it right but now its another world.

*Disclaimer - I don't work for the TIR people, but very happy to endorse the TIR as I would IL2 as a sim.

- Ham.

S T U R M O V I K - T E C H N I K A

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 26 27 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.