Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » hat switch/resolution
Topic Options
Hop to:
#802961 - 05/28/01 07:52 PM hat switch/resolution
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Guys, I just got a copy of EAW but my hat switch doesn't seem to work. Also how are you getting all these different resolution options? I don't see that anywhere in the options menu. Thanks, William

Top Bookmark and Share
#802962 - 05/28/01 10:55 PM Re: hat switch/resolution
Steve Day Offline

Loc: Darlaston, West Midlands, Engl...
screen resolution is set from the EAW.ini file edited with notepad usually.
ts under the [GRAPHICS] list as width=xxxx, height=yyyy (just type the resolution u want to use eg. width=800 height=600 etc.

for your joystick u really need to state what u have got (weve got them all pretty much covered here) but generally use the eaw stick config rather than the joysticks own so define the hat from the advanced controls configuration menu.

Steve

Top Bookmark and Share

#802963 - 05/28/01 10:57 PM Re: hat switch/resolution
oxspring 123 SQDN Offline

Loc: Nottingham England
go here old chap, you need to download "EAW patch 1.2," then download "eaw 2000", this will enable you to change screen res at will, both are self installing, so it should be easy enough?
welcome to EAW, your life will never be the same lol
http://thehangar.dogfighter.com/Files.htm

if this link does not work, cut and paste to your address window on your browser

oxo123uk http://www.123uksqn.alchemyzone.com/flashyframe.htm

[This message has been edited by oxspring123uk (edited 05-28-2001).]

Top Bookmark and Share
#802964 - 05/28/01 11:38 PM Re: hat switch/resolution
Anonymous
Unregistered

[...different resolution options?...]

The option of using higher resolutions was not in the original sim. It was introduced in the 1.1 patch, and does not appear in the menu options. So how do you run at higher resolutions?

First, obviously you must have patched EAW to 1.1 or 1.2 standard***.

Next, the resolution changes must be entered into the eaw.ini file. There are two ways to do this. First, here is the hard way! Open your eaw.ini file. You probably already know what this looks like, but if anybody doesn't, go into Windows Explorer and open your EAW directory (the folder where you installed EAW to). Now find a file that has an icon that looks like a little text file (Notepad) with a yellow "star" (a cog, really), and the term "eaw" next to it! This is the .ini file.

Open the .ini file. At the end of the [GRAPHICS] section, add the following lines:

Width=
Height=

After the equals signs, type in whatever resolution you want. Here is what mine looks like (running at 1280 x 1024):

[GRAPHICS]
TestDrawPrimitive=0
DisplayDevice=0
PlaneDetail=2...
...3dCityTargets=2
Gamma Value=150
Width=1280
Height=1024

(You could also try resolutions like 800 x 600, or 1024 x 768, for instance)

Now exit, saving your changes.

***IMPORTANT***
With the 1.1 or 1.2 patches, EAW can be run at any resolution that your system can handle. Some run EAW as high as 1600 x 1200. However, your ability to do so will again depend on your system. For instance, my "normal" monitor can run up to 1280 x 1024, which is what I run EAW at. I have an older 15-inch monitor that can only go to 800 x 600, however.

OK, that was the hard way. Now for the easy one!

Just download and install Alan White's VERY useful "EAW Control 2000". This utility provides an easy to use interface to edit the .ini file. With Control 2000, you can change the resolution with a single mouse click. You can also change just about everything that you will need to with a mouse button click or two! You can find EAW Control 2000 at a number of sites, including:

Cord's EAW Page .....click on "Utilities" > "Miscellaneous" in the navbar at the left
Airbuddha's: The Hangar .....click on "Main Files" in the navbar at the left.

NOTE: When you switch to higher resolutions, you will no longer have the F1 views available. These are the "fixed" or "2D" cockpit displays. Unfortunately, there is no way of making these appear in anything but the ugly 640 x 480 default resolution. Instead, you will only have the virtual cockpit ("3D"), or the F8 view. When running at a higher resolution, pressing the F1 key simply gives you the "F8" view.

Also, changing the resolution will also change your Field of View. Some resolutions make the FoV smaller, others make it larger. You will probably have to experiment to see what you prefer. Generally speaking, 800 x 600 and 1600 x 1200 seem to offer the widest FoV, 1024 x 768 seems to be smaller than the default, and 1280 x 1024 gives an FoV wider than the default, but not as wide as 8x6 or 16x12.

Also, the higher the FoV, the smaller the printing on the screen becomes! Just how small is too small depends on primarily on how good your eyes are and how big your monitor screen is! To me, 1280 x 1024 is just readable on my 17-inch monitor. Obviously, the larger the monitor screen, the easier it will be to see the smaller print.

If you find an FoV that you like, but feel the print is too small to read, you can try King Rat's "Large HUD Font" EAW. This is available from a number of sites, including Musgrove's EAW Annex .....click on "EAW DOWNLOADS", then "EAW ADD-ONS", and scroll down to "King Rat's Large HUD Files...". The first one listed is 1.2b; that is for the 1.2a patch. The second one is 1.21; that is for the "normal" EAW 1.2. Bear in mind that both of these are written to be used with the No-CD Crack for EAW.

[...hat switch doesn't seem to work...]

You can remap virtually any function in EAW. Bear in mind that EAW doesn't "like" some stick profile software, so if you are using a profile, it might work, or then again it might not! Some people have great success and no problems, others find it better to just go ahead and use EAW's remapping directly.

The simplest way to remap functions in EAW is to start the sim, then go to:

"CONFIGURE GAME" > "CONTROL" > "Advanced".

You should already be on the "View" options. Across the top should the listings for the "Flight", "Weapon", and "Game" sections. To change a mapped function, just click on the function you want to change. It should turn red. Then hit the key on your keyboard, or press the button on your joystick (including the hat switch) that you want to map that function to. If that key/button is already in use, EAW will tell you.

You can also do this in the .ini file, but it is more complicated.

***(the "hacked" 1.2a "increased AI aggressiveness version" and 1.2b [this is 1.2a with larger fonts] will also allow the same increased resolutions)

Top Bookmark and Share
#802965 - 05/29/01 12:20 AM Re: hat switch/resolution
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks alot guys for all the info! You've got me going now. William

Top Bookmark and Share
#802966 - 05/30/01 10:50 PM Re: hat switch/resolution
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got back into EAW on a new system after a 1+ year break. I needed this info badly...and, of course, the friendly SimHQ forum has the answers. Thanks for taking the time to spell out all the details!

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.