Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Will this ever...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#656323 - 09/20/04 06:30 PM Will this ever...
Happy Birthday 531 Ghost Offline

Loc: MCAS Camp Pendleton

Top Bookmark and Share
#656324 - 09/20/04 07:12 PM Re: Will this ever...
Geo Offline

Loc: Princeton, N.J.
A drag chute? You could do an approximation now if you set it up as a huge speed brake.
one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy

Geo's Aircraft

Top Bookmark and Share

#656325 - 09/20/04 07:15 PM Re: Will this ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo:
A drag chute? You could do an approximation now if you set it up as a huge speed brake.
But per NATOPS, the drag chute is used primarily for spin recovery. How in the world would a big speed brake assist in spin recovery?

S/F
Ghost

Top Bookmark and Share
#656326 - 09/20/04 07:20 PM Re: Will this ever...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ask a Dive Bomber. Dive Flaps is the same as Speed Brake. It will stop a spin better than a Chute on a String...........

SEMPER FI!

331KillerBee ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#656327 - 09/20/04 08:09 PM Re: Will this ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by 331KillerBee:
Ask a Dive Bomber. Dive Flaps is the same as Speed Brake. It will stop a spin better than a Chute on a String...........

SEMPER FI!

331KillerBee ;\)
:rolleyes:

Sorry KillerBee just trying to "keep it real". If the Phantom is found to be in an uncontrollable spin then the "chute on a string" like I stated is used primarily. That's why it's there. slowing the aircraft on landing was an after-thought to save on rubber and cases of beer ;\) . The speed brakes, flaps and landing gear are to be up and in the wells during spin recovery.

S/F
Ghost

Top Bookmark and Share
#656328 - 09/20/04 08:37 PM Re: Will this ever...
Geo Offline

Loc: Princeton, N.J.
It's a game, it's not real - the game inputs a big drag on the aircraft, and processes it that way. The question is does it appoximate the performance of a chute well enough.
one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy

Geo's Aircraft

Top Bookmark and Share
#656329 - 09/20/04 08:45 PM Re: Will this ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by Geo:
It's a game, it's not real - the game inputs a big drag on the aircraft, and processes it that way. The question is does it appoximate the performance of a chute well enough.
Maybe I'm confused, I'm aware it's a game. So if it's not going to be implemented then why have the Drag_Chute command in the game taking up space? Personally I'd like to see it in the game and able to be used but if not no sleep will be lost.

S/F
Ghost

Top Bookmark and Share

#656330 - 09/20/04 08:59 PM Re: Will this ever...
Aladar Offline

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
Errr... Primary use is for spin recovery? That doesnt sound right. From what I've read using the chute for spin recovery was like grasping at straws.

Then everyone is very polite."

- Anonymous

Top Bookmark and Share
#656331 - 09/20/04 09:39 PM Re: Will this ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aladar:
Errr... Primary use is for spin recovery? That doesnt sound right. From what I've read using the chute for spin recovery was like grasping at straws.
Gimmie a few, I just e-mailed a few friends of mine ;\) Or perhaps Andy could chime in? Andy?

Top Bookmark and Share
#656332 - 09/21/04 12:14 AM Re: Will this ever...
RussoUK2002 Offline

Loc: cardiff,south wales UK
Drag chutes should be in it one day...I have a working chute on my M-50 "Bounder"..It uses the Airbrake as a base.Seems to pull it up on landing not too badly.
cheers
Russ
http://telfordlightinfantry.org

Top Bookmark and Share
#656333 - 09/21/04 12:25 AM Re: Will this ever...
RussoUK2002 Offline

Loc: cardiff,south wales UK
http://telfordlightinfantry.org

Top Bookmark and Share
#656334 - 09/21/04 01:32 AM Re: Will this ever...
WhiteKnight06604 Offline

Loc: Suffield CT. USA
nice work!!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#656335 - 09/21/04 05:14 AM Re: Will this ever...
Aladar Offline

Loc: Fayetteville, NC
531, I'll ask my Dad next time I talk to him.

Then everyone is very polite."

- Anonymous

Top Bookmark and Share
#656336 - 09/21/04 05:54 AM Re: Will this ever...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bounder sighting! Call Mulder and Scully!

Top Bookmark and Share
#656337 - 09/21/04 12:16 PM Re: Will this ever...
Eric2020 Offline

Loc: Netherlands
forgetting the MiG-23 which has working chute!!

Top Bookmark and Share
#656338 - 09/24/04 05:00 PM Re: Will this ever...

I stand corrected, e-mail recieved from a friend of mine, now a BGen former F4N Aviator:

Ken, primary purpose of the drag chute on the F-4 was to reduce forward speed during landing roll out. However, use of the drage chute was an immediate action emergency step in the F-4 once the aircraft entered a spin.

Hope this helps.

S/F F.

Top Bookmark and Share
#656339 - 09/25/04 09:09 PM Re: Will this ever...
moon161 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
The problem with a spin or departed flight is that the aircraft may have sufficient velocity to fly, but is uncontrollable because the airflow has separated from the wings and control surfaces. You are moving along, but the back of the plane is not behind the front. This situation is compounded by the horizon gyrating around the pilot and encouraging them to puke.

Deploying the chute would create a large drag on the plane, acting at the back end of the plane. This will tend to pull the rear of the plane back behind the front.

Once the back of the plane is behind the front, the plane should be controllable and the chute can be jettisoned followed by a gentle pullout.

Win 2k
ASUS A7V266
Athlon 1800+ @ 1533 MHz
RADEON 7000VE 64MB
512 MB DDR266

Top Bookmark and Share
#656340 - 09/25/04 09:58 PM Re: Will this ever...

Quote:
Originally posted by moon161:
The problem with a spin or departed flight is that the aircraft may have sufficient velocity to fly, but is uncontrollable because the airflow has separated from the wings and control surfaces. You are moving along, but the back of the plane is not behind the front. This situation is compounded by the horizon gyrating around the pilot and encouraging them to puke.

Deploying the chute would create a large drag on the plane, acting at the back end of the plane. This will tend to pull the rear of the plane back behind the front.

Once the back of the plane is behind the front, the plane should be controllable and the chute can be jettisoned followed by a gentle pullout.
EXACTLY!

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.