Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#569767 - 11/29/02 06:48 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Anonymous
Unregistered

oops..just thought of something else posted by dagger over at Biohaz..that fully loaded he struggled to get the F100 and A4 off the runway..this should also now not be a problem..

DK

Top Bookmark and Share
#569768 - 11/29/02 06:55 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one question that remains..how will this effect the aircraft in online play..having flown a bit of this online before today, the popular aircraft seem to be the migs..due to their ability to overpower the normal flyables like the F100 and F4 in low energy fights..this may change that..further testing is required to find out if it does affect the online FM's. I suspect it will, so it becomes a question of honor, If you enter an online game of any kind..plz be sure to let them know about the fm change and explain why you are using it..further questions, direct em to the forums..either here or at Biohaz..or they can contact me through the 667th site for further information. In no way do I want this construed by some as a cheat..this is simply a fix for a problem FM for realism sake which in my book is the ONLY reason why the editable data should be changed. In no way, shape, or form, do I want this sim ruined by cheating, it may be unavoidable, but, any changes I make will be for realism, not for an advantage.

DK

Top Bookmark and Share

#569769 - 11/29/02 07:29 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Anonymous
Unregistered

Badger..this is copied and pasted out of the F4E dat file for the Slats which are LEF's

[LeftSlat]
SystemType=HIGHLIFT_DEVICE
CLiftdc=-0.0443
DeltaStallAlpha=6.00
AreaRatio=1.02
DeploymentMethod=AUTOMATIC_ANGLE_OF_ATTACK
Setting[1].Angle=30.0
Setting[1].DeployValue=13.8
Setting[1].RetractValue=8.7
MaxDeflection=30.0
MinDeflection=0.0
ControlRate=2.0
AnimationID=8
ModelNodeName=slat_left_inner

[RightSlat]
CLiftdc=-0.0443
DeltaStallAlpha=6.00
AreaRatio=1.02
Setting[1].Angle=30.0
MaxDeflection=30.0
MinDeflection=0.0
ControlRate=2.0
AnimationID=8
ModelNodeName=slat_right_inner

[LeftOuterSlat]
CLiftdc=-0.0443
DeltaStallAlpha=6.00
AreaRatio=1.02
Setting[1].Angle=30.0
MaxDeflection=30.0
MinDeflection=0.0
ControlRate=2.0
AnimationID=8
ModelNodeName=slat_left_outer

[RightOuterSlat]
CLiftdc=-0.0443
DeltaStallAlpha=6.00
AreaRatio=1.02
Setting[1].Angle=30.0
MaxDeflection=30.0
MinDeflection=0.0
ControlRate=2.0
AnimationID=8
ModelNodeName=slat_right_outer

You'll noticed that the deploy value is higher than the retracted value..this is correct. In flight the F4E has very good turning ability until about 240 knots where it starts to bog down a bit..in a high g turn..that would be about right..the values may be off..but I am not sure what they would be in real life..and not sure exactly what measurement thirdwire is using here..its a degree of added lift is my thought..however..the data positions are correct.

Thus, no F4E updated FM..reversing the deploy value and the retract value in this case would cause a LOSS of turning performance..not a gain. The other Dat files had the higher number on the retract..the lower numbers on the deploy, resulting in a loss of turning performance..the files in the zip fixes this and thats all. Whether the data that TK and crew put there is true to life or not I do not know..I just reversed the data there to make the model more realistic.

DK

Top Bookmark and Share
#569770 - 11/29/02 08:43 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am I correct in assuming we unzip these updated .ini files to the OBJECTS directory even if we haven't extracted any game files already? Will the new .ini files be effective on a clean, unmodded and untweaked install of the game?

Top Bookmark and Share
#569771 - 11/29/02 08:53 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
column5 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Data files specific to an aircraft (ie, A4E_DATA.INI, A4E_LOADOUT.INI, etc.) should go in the folder for that specific aircraft, not the OBJECTS folder if they are to have any effect.

------------------
column5's US Navy and Marine Corps Phantom Skins

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard

Top Bookmark and Share
#569772 - 11/29/02 10:54 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
WOLF257 Online   sigh

Loc: Alabama
The only problem I see with all this is that the real F-100's Slats didn't have a deployment speed,they were like the ones on the F-86,they were spring loaded and extended untill the aircraft reached a speed sufficent to force them closed.
They're main purpose was increasing lift during take-off,landing and low speed maneuvering.
It would seem that what was done by swapping the the two values was to make the Slat's open at a lower speed which is pretty much what they should be doing anyway.
I'll hunt around and see if I can find an exact closing speed.

WOLF

------------------
You are what you do when it counts

Top Bookmark and Share
#569773 - 11/29/02 11:57 PM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Andy Bush Offline

Loc: St Peters, MO
Hehe!

Just a tiny clarification. The slats on the F-100 were "operated" by airstream forces that were associated with angle of attack. This had nothing to do with airspeed. The slats were not spring loaded...they were free to move in and out. They fell out on the ground due to gravity...and were often mechanically "pinned" up for ground ops as a safety feature.

The sim has it wrong...the slats in the sim operate as a function of airspeed. Not the case in real life. This is also true of the A-4. The slatted F-4 operated its slats hydraulically as a function of AOA...but the pilot could extend and retract them manually as well.

Top Bookmark and Share

#569774 - 11/30/02 12:17 AM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
TeargasHorse_SAF Offline

Loc: Las Vegas NV USA
where do i find the flight data files to open? I've got the utility extractor, but I can't seem to find the files ya'll r yappin bout.

http://www.plasticammo.com - Combat without the holes!

Top Bookmark and Share
#569775 - 11/30/02 12:27 AM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
WOLF257 Online   sigh

Loc: Alabama
Ok Andy,I stand corrected,shouldn't pay so much attention to pictures I guess.
I've never seen an explanation of how they worked,I just assumed they worked by air flow pressure.

WOLF

------------------

Top Bookmark and Share
#569776 - 11/30/02 01:20 AM Re: F100 flying brick and how to fix it
Andy Bush Offline

Loc: St Peters, MO
Wolf

You are right...the slats do work by "air pressure".

The slats are hinged and normally "fall out" because of gravity on the ground.

The slats are extended during the takeoff. As speed builds after takeoff, AOA decreases as the nose lowers. At some point, the airstream creates a pressure differential that causes the slats to move up into the stowed position.

This pressure effect is strictly due to AOA. If the pilot were to pulse the stick fore and aft at the AOA slat extension/retraction point, the slats would cycle with the pitch change....push stick forward, slats retract (low AOA)...pull stick aft, slats extend (high AOA).

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.