Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Losers.............
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2505245 - 04/30/08 04:37 PM Losers.............
Craterman Offline

Why in the world do people hack to cheat in a video game? What could they possibly get out of it? That they won? I can't imagine how bad my real life would have to be to want to cheat at a video game.
Damn losers.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505247 - 04/30/08 04:40 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Craterman]
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer

Loc: Washington state
An infamous topic in the Novaworld forums since that's all they ever talk about.

The short version on cheating.

1. Programmers feel better about themselves if they can get their hack to work. To them it must mean they are smarter or equal in skill to the original programmer. (Low self esteem)

2. Players download cheats because they lack the skill to take on others who are better at the game and/or they have a computer/internet connection not up to par so they get owned.

Fan of anyone in Nascar not driving a Camry.

Wondering around in the aftermath of Black Mesa East.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2505252 - 04/30/08 04:43 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Craterman]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: Craterman
Why in the world do people hack to cheat in a video game? What could they possibly get out of it? That they won? I can't imagine how bad my real life would have to be to want to cheat at a video game.
Damn losers.

Are you referring to a specific incident that happened to you recently?

I've found that those people who cheat in multiplayer games do it because they simply just care about winning at any cost. Doesn't matter to them that they gave themselves an unfair advantage.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505261 - 04/30/08 04:55 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Sim Offline

Loc: Chino, CA, USA
I had honor of being called the 'cheater' even though I did no such thing...sometimes my god-like mad skillz get me in trouble like that..

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505264 - 04/30/08 05:00 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Sim]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: Sim
sometimes my god-like mad skillz get me in trouble like that..

This obviously did not happen in Armed Assault. \:D

Edited by PanzerMeyer (04/30/08 05:01 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505370 - 04/30/08 07:49 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Sim]
Electra Offline

Loc: Arizona
I had honor of being called the 'cheater' even though I did no such thing...sometimes my god-like mad skillz get me in trouble like that..

I consider that to be the greatest compliment ever. To be called a "cheater" when you aren't running any hacks at all, means you've gotten so good at a game, that it is beyond the scope of possible imagination to the person/people you are playing against.

Harold Kahler, O4 USAF F-105D, Lincoln NE, MIA 6/14/69 LAOS
GBNF

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505373 - 04/30/08 07:52 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Electra]
Sim Offline

Originally Posted By: Electra

I consider that to be the greatest compliment ever. To be called a "cheater" when you aren't running any hacks at all, means you've gotten so good at a game, that it is beyond the scope of possible imagination to the person/people you are playing against.

and then I get kicked for it from my fav server and email server admin with 'what-gives' question. (which happened multiple times....)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2505391 - 04/30/08 08:44 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: Sim]
VonBarb. Offline

Loc: Suburbia,France
Sometimes cheats/hacks do help, if they fix just one or two obstacles in the game you can't overcome. This is just acceptable offline of course.

Cheers

Nico

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505435 - 04/30/08 10:13 PM Re: Losers............. [Re: VonBarb.]
Craterman Offline

Nothing specific has happened recently, but I do see cheating quite a bit. I play Il2 online, but there are so many varibles in that game its hard to say that I have ever seen cheating for certain.
The guys that get me in that game are the ones you shoot down who leave the server before hitting the ground, but thats ok I know I got them. FPS is where you know for certain that they are cheating. You put 20 rounds in the guys back and he turns and kills you with one shot with a pistol! In RL if you cheat you usually have some benefit for it. Money or items that you just took. But in a video game? What do you get? If you think you won by cheating in a video game, your just lying to yourself. Your victim knows the truth. So I just can't see what one gets out of it. Now for the one person who wrote the hack, well I can see a little of what they get out of it. But for someone who did nothing to get nothing, well it's a strange world I guess.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505522 - 05/01/08 12:40 AM Re: Losers............. [Re: Sim]
JESC Offline

I had to thank you for this insight.

This happened to me twice in two separate chess servers. (Years ago)

The first one was my opponent going 'crazy' calling me stuff etc. (after I beat him). I brought out the argument in the main chatroom and got an admin involved. Few minutes later, he went quiet and the admin explained to me that he 'misunderstood' something about the log in names appearing twice.

The second one was in yahoo chess.

I was playing with this guy and this kibitzer came in. I was winning (at least 2 seconds per move *edit: was making fast moves but it was never faster than 2 seconds*) and he commented on how a certain program he assumed I was using was good at crushing human opponents.

I no longer play chess. Today, my elo rating could even be lower than average. However I've held these memories with a kind of resentment towards being accused of 'cheating'.

Anyway... an insight of turning this accusation into a compliment? Something I havn't thought about in years.

Edited by JESC (05/01/08 01:05 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505528 - 05/01/08 12:51 AM Re: Losers............. [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Dart Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor

Loc: Morrow, GA USA
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Not fair - thankfully I had just finished drinking my coffee when I read this!

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505542 - 05/01/08 01:16 AM Re: Losers............. [Re: Dart]
Sim Offline

Originally Posted By: Dart
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Not fair - thankfully I had just finished drinking my coffee when I read this!

What ever do you mean. ;\) My D30 'incident' was just part of my skills reaching 'mad' level . \:D IIRC I had 8 kills up to that point with Mp5 <most useless weapon in game. Heheh.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505571 - 05/01/08 02:20 AM Re: Losers............. [Re: Sim]
peppergomez Offline

anyone who takes videogames that seriously pretty much automatically=loser
GameXStream 700W PSU
Intel Core2Duo E6600Conroe 2.4GHz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
WDRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM
SoundBlasterX-Fi
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo
winxp sp2

Top Bookmark and Share
#2505599 - 05/01/08 03:39 AM Re: Losers............. [Re: peppergomez]
Goalie Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Some cheaters do it to win at any cost or because they either suck and don't want to work to get better. Others do it simply to piss everyone off. For some reason they get off at ruining the game for everyone else. Same thing with those stupid people on Xbox live spouting racists crap and singing in to their mikes for the entire game.

When I use to play Delta Force 1 so many cheaters would use that stupid infinite grenade hack and the super jump hack to simply piss everyone off. They didn't do it to gain points or to win, they simply did it to ruin the game for everyone, and they got off getting everyone to leave the game.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.