Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Are you geek or a nerd?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2504649 - 04/29/08 06:58 PM Are you geek or a nerd?
Desert Eagle Offline

Loc: Portugal
http://stuff.co.nz//blogs/coolkit/2008/04/28/geeks-vs-nerds/

Quote:
Are you a geek or a nerd? I’ve spent most of my life believing I was a geek, but have just been told that I am, in fact, a nerd.

You can imagine my shock.

What’s the difference? The jury’s still out on whether there is a big one, and the definitions of what exactly a geek is or nerd is seem to vary a lot from person to person (and dictionary to dictionary).

But the consensus around the Stuff newsroom (see? we’re not working either) is that I am definitely a nerd. A geek, according to my fellow Stuffers, is someone interested in a particular thing, to the point of being boring and obsessive about it, particularly stuff like sci-fi movies or music. So you can be a Star Trek geek or a hard rock geek or whatever.

A nerd is someone who is interested in and knows a lot of stuff about the real world, or one part of it, like history or quantum mechanics.

If you are here in this forum you must be a Sim Geek, but is that all? What other secret dark obsessions do you have?

"I some times wonder if I finished the Internet"

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504654 - 04/29/08 07:01 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: Desert Eagle]
SimHQ Tom Cofield Offline

Loc: Olympia, Washington
I'm a geek.

Nerds are smart.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504658 - 04/29/08 07:09 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: Desert Eagle]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
In that case, I'm a nerd (except for the Math part). \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504667 - 04/29/08 07:20 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
       +G      Offline

I'm an optimistic geek. optimisticgeek.com

I'm sometimes a pessimistic geek, but I have that covered as well
pessimisticgeek.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504669 - 04/29/08 07:22 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Boilerplate* Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Quote:
A geek, according to my fellow Stuffers, is someone interested in a particular thing, to the point of being boring and obsessive about it, particularly stuff like sci-fi movies or music.

Nerd then. I don't generally discuss my interests in military aviation and simming except with those in the forums.. mainly because those close to me don't share these interests.

Plus I've been around folks who go on and on about their obsessions. I find it annoying.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504754 - 04/29/08 09:44 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: Boilerplate*]
NoUseForAName Offline

Loc: Oregon a.k.a. Northern Califor...
 Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*
 Quote:
A geek, according to my fellow Stuffers, is someone interested in a particular thing, to the point of being boring and obsessive about it, particularly stuff like sci-fi movies or music.

Nerd then. I don't generally discuss my interests in military aviation and simming except with those in the forums.. mainly because those close to me don't share these interests.

Plus I've been around folks who go on and on about their obsessions. I find it annoying.

i thought it was the other way around. geeks still have a life outside of their 'obsessions'; but nerds are engulfed by them and it pretty much runs their lives

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504769 - 04/29/08 10:10 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: NoUseForAName]
Wallimiyama Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
My answer is...Yes.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504793 - 04/29/08 11:05 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: NoUseForAName]
Boilerplate* Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
 Originally Posted By: NoUseForAName
 Originally Posted By: Boilerplate*
 Quote:

i thought it was the other way around. geeks still have a life outside of their 'obsessions'; but nerds are engulfed by them and it pretty much runs their lives

Well then.. I guess neither.

;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504794 - 04/29/08 11:06 PM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: Wallimiyama]
speedbump Offline

Loc: Anchorage
I'm a GeekSnerd.

http://www.razzledazzleart.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504883 - 04/30/08 01:56 AM Re: Are you geek or a nerd? [Re: speedbump]
Dart Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor

Loc: Morrow, GA USA
Okay, so one of the reader responses was:

Quote:
I postulate that if you instantiated a Venn Diagram modeling the two sets, one would observe a distinct and significant intersection.

and I not only immediately agreed, but had a mental picture of a Venn diagram in my head.

What does that mean as it relates to my categorization as either a geek or a nerd?

Or is the whole thing false on its face, in that geek as defined in the article is simply a state of proto-nerd that can be permanently halted in developmental process by the almost total absence of a healthy frequency of sex?

After all, what is a geek other than a nerd that has never, ever gotten any on a regular basis?

(which explains the narrowness of interests)

;\)

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.