Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2504058 - 04/28/08 10:03 PM Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii
Silver Fox Offline

Loc: Columbia, MD, USA
Ok I'm thinking about getting a game system. I don't know much about them though. I want to play some games with 4 players. Also I like flight sims and the motor vehicle racing type games. Anyone have any ideas as to the pros/cons of the main 3 systems I know of- Playstation, Xbox and WII? I have no idea about this stuff, other then I have played a little on a WII.

Thanks

Silver Fox

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504065 - 04/28/08 10:15 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: Silver Fox]
Spidey Offline

Loc: Jersey Yo
Ah....someone from Columbia MD...my old neighborhood.

Wii...mostly gimmicky games. Only good games are the ones produced by Nintendo themselves. i.e. Zelda, Mario, Metriod, Super Smash brothers melee, etc., The rest of the games pretty much all suck. Also graphically Wii is pretty much about the same as PS2 quality and 480p only.

360 n PS3...95% of the games will be identical. 360 had a couple of exclusives like Gears of War, Halo, Bioshock which are only available on PC/360. PS3 has exclusives like Uncharted/Heavenly Sword and coming out with Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc., which will be available on the PS3 only.

Also, PS3 is the only system that will let you play Blu-ray movies. You can spend another $50 to buy a HD-DVD addon for 360..but that format is dead so its pretty pointless.

PS3 is best bang for the buck.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504069 - 04/28/08 10:33 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: Silver Fox]
Shredder Offline

Well, I made the jump to a console about a month ago after getting a 40" LCD TV. I've always been a PC gamer (and always will be), but there was something about sitting on my sofa playing Oblivion that I just had to experience.

As to your quandry, I'll put in my two cents.

I ruled out the Wii immediately because it didn't have the games I was interested in, not to mention I wanted a high def experience. So that left the PS3 and 360. I did a fair amount of research, reading forums, and playing both systems. I was left with a pretty clear picture of what system to get as a result. The only thing the 360 had going for it were a larger library of games and a more robust and active online environment. The games for the 360 that I was really interested in were also coming out on the PC, so that left the online environment as a big plus.

However, when you go down the list of pros and cons for both systems, it become readily apparent which one I should get.

Reliability: PS3 has a 1-2% failure rate. 360 has at least a 16% failure rate (see red ring of
death).

Cost: Both cost the same, but with the 360 you have to pay an annual $50 fee for online gaming,
not to mention $100 for the wi-fi adapter. Online is free with the PS3 and it comes with
built in wi-fi

Upgradeablity: The PS3 comes with a 20, 40, or 60BG 2.5" SATA hard drive. The first thing I did after getting my PS3 was to spend all of five minutes upgrading it to a 320GB HD.
You can get a 360 with a HD but it is not standard or upgradeable.

High Def movies: PS3 has blu-ray, and it is the best blu-ray player on the market with the ability
to have it's firmware upgraded. 360 - no such luck.

Noise: This was a big deal for me. I hate noisy computers and the 360 sounded like a vaccuum
cleaner to me, while the PS3 is whisper quiet - really. I can't believe how quiet it is.

So there it is. Like I said, the 360 has a much better online experience, but with "Home" coming out for the PS3, that may change. Also, the games for the PS3 are really hitting their stride this year. I know their are people who swear by their 360's, but I've read way to many accounts of people swearing AT their second or third 360 after getting another RROD, and I refuse to go down that road.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504070 - 04/28/08 10:37 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: Shredder]
Lewis-A2A Offline

Loc: Halesworth - UK
The Wii because its so out of the box its brilliant and I love it. It gets me and my girlfriend together, it brings my family together using new technology and we have alot of fun. My mother brought one for home when she tried mine a few months ago.

Plus of course if you dont like the Wii as a console you can turn it into a fake TrackIR... if you dont like the other consoles you just end up with a box ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504075 - 04/28/08 10:45 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: Shredder]
       +G      Offline

I own an Xbox Premium (20GB HD), an Xbox Elite (120GB HD), PS3 (80GB HD) and a PSP Slim (4GB MSD).

I'm not buying into the old tech with the Wii, the original Xbox has about the same graphics levels.
The controller is neat, but .. it just didn't cut it for me. I passed.

The sound levels for each machine listed above, rank about in that order, the Elite is just a bit louder than the PS3, it's much improved over the Xbox Premium though.

Xbox Live Silver is free (patches, demos, market place).
Xbox Live Gold is aprox. $50 year (online play is a fee).
Xbox Live has HD movies you can download, if that's a feature you want.
Sony is launching their movie download service this summer, their online service, thus far is free.

I've found that I tend to buy the games for each console that the folks here are playing as well.
Most have 360's, so most of the games I buy are for that console. With that said, if I knew what I knew now, I'd have bought a PS3 from the start (I've had a lot of grief with 360 RRoDs). I held off on the PS3 until BluRay won the war. But it is what it is, and Xbox is a great deal IF you exclude your need for a BluRay player.

My collection of 360 games is growing, it's a great console, but what makes it is Xbox Live. My PS3 collection hasn't been growing as fast, but I love BluRay, that alone is worth the price of admission IMO. PS3 has some nice games coming out, so I like that I have both consoles.

If you do buy a 360, try to get an elite, and/or get an extended warranty (as M$'s 3 year warranty ONLY covers RRoD).

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504076 - 04/28/08 10:51 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re:        +G     ]
249th_Jeevz Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Can't comment on the wii.

If you're an online player then the 360 is currently head and shoulders above the PS3, also if you want to play with the SimHQ guys on Saturdays then 360 it is. If you're an offline player then it just comes down to which games you want and how important BluRay is to you.

I personally think the 360 is the better system for gamers but it does have it's reliability issues. MS does back it up with a 3 year warranty.

XBL/PSN: Jeevz74
Flak Monkey

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504094 - 04/28/08 11:19 PM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: 249th_Jeevz]
Goalie Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
I have a 360 and I'm pretty happy with it even though I've had to send one back after getting the RROD. The games are fantastic, and the graphics are really nice. The online match making though Live is really what sets the 360 apart IMO.

I also bought a Wii last summer and I really wasn't that impressed with it. Aside from the wiimote controls it doesn't really offer very much. Online play is behind the times with the outdates friends codes system, the graphics are PS2/Xbox1 quality and honestly I didn't really like the wiimote. It worked okay for wii sports but I just kept wishing I just had a normal controller. When I compared TW08 I had on the wii to TW08 demo for the 360 it made me finally think about ditching it.

I think I had it for 4 weeks then sold it to a friend of mine who is really enjoying it to this day, but it just was not the console for me.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504137 - 04/29/08 12:50 AM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: Goalie]
pmarone Offline

Loc: San Diego
I've had the 360 since Jan 07 - first one died on me two months ago. They do fail, and some folks get all the luck with mulitples, and for some it's not so bad. MS was pretty quick in getting the console repaired and back to me - about 3 weeks round trip. In my experience, the RROD hasn't been a problem that would make me want something else.

I'm hooked on Xbox live and it's functionality. Finding players is simple, and the annual cost and player ratings systems helps weed out the dorks. The easy to find downloads (demos, videos, HD movies, tv shows by episode/season, etc)make the 360 worth.

I think the real strength of the PS3 is the blu-ray drive - if you really want blu-ray functionality, you also get a full featured gaming system for the price of the drive. Cannot beat that.

If you have kids, or like different types of games, and a little more interactivity with your games (the wiimotes don't blow my skirts up, really), then you'll like the WII, but I'd recommend that in addition to one of the other two.

Edited by pmarone (04/29/08 12:52 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504181 - 04/29/08 02:32 AM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: pmarone]
LeemzHQ Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
If BluRay isn't important to you and you'd like to play online with other friends from SimHQ then I'd suggest the 360. If BluRay is a big deal then the PS3 is a great idea because the BR player alone is worth the money and you're essentially getting a game console for free.

Yes, the 360's can fail. I'm on my 2nd one. If it dies I'll buy another. I love the system and I love the games and I love XBox Live. Some folks still have their original 360 and others seem to burn through 2 a year. Who knows why?

I'll probably buy a PS3 eventually. I know I'll want a BR player at some point. In fact I may buy one in favor of upgrading my PC, which is now nearly 3-years old. But, I won't discard my 360 in favor of a PS3 exclusively. I don't mind paying for the Live service. It's worth every penny, and at about $3.33 a month it's cheap. (You can find sales for 1-year subscriptions for $40.)

Keep it in an open well-ventilated area and you'll decrease the odds of getting the dreaded RRoD. Mine died shortly after moving it from a cool, well-ventilated area to a warmer, smaller confined space. I should have known better.

Circuit City is selling 360's for $350 and you get an extra wireless gamepad for free. That's the same deal they had when I bought mine 18 months ago. So, no, the PS3 isn't the same price. It's still $50 more, $100 more if you count the extra controller.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504250 - 04/29/08 05:51 AM Re: Which Game System PS, Xbox or Wii [Re: LeemzHQ]
Lewis-A2A Offline

Loc: Halesworth - UK
Oh yes and the Wii has the online capability to be able to play others online, play the sega/nintendo back catalogue (I LOVE MY MARIO 3! RACOON MARIO!), And do many other things like catch up on any tv show you missed via bbc iplayer.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.