Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Ben Stein's Expelled
Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2503375 - 04/27/08 11:55 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: adlabs6]
TerribleTwo Offline

Apostle Paul wrote, "work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling."

The "work out your own salvation" meant that you are the one who should choose on how you worship God, not a preist, not a rabbi, nor any other religious leader.

However, he didn't leave it at that. The "with fear and trembling" meant that you should seriously consider what God says before you choose your path. An "anything goes" attitude doesn't cut it. The Bible is a pretty good reference on understanding what God requires of us.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503391 - 04/28/08 12:12 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
Rilex Offline

Loc: Washington
Living life in fear sounds like a pretty crappy way to live, as does the prison style attitude.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503779 - 04/28/08 03:26 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
TerribleTwo Offline

It's the same kind of fear you have for your father. The fear of dissapointing him. Our relationship with God is very much like the relationship those have with a loving, protecting, and yes even punishing when you do wrong father. The ideal dad.

Edited by TerribleTwo (04/28/08 03:26 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503791 - 04/28/08 03:45 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Rilex]
Dozer_EAF(T) Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Rilex
Living life in fear sounds like a pretty crappy way to live, as does the prison style attitude.
I think perhaps the meaning of 'fear' has shifted since that translation was written? I think it means to have respect and reverance of something much more powerful than you. I started flying gliders four years ago, and still go to the airport 'with fear and trembling' of being hit by a winch cable, landing aircraft, or propellor - being in 'fear' of being hit by a landing aircraft means that I'll ALWAYS look for them before entering the runway, even when I know all our aircraft are on the ground.

"Other than that if you think Tempest is not manouverable in-game, then I suggest a fix - don't be a cheap bast*rd and go buy a joystick" - Brain32

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 19 of 19 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.