Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2503924 - 04/28/08 07:02 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: PanzerMeyer]
graves_09 Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
 Originally Posted By: graves_09

a lot of the crew talked about the "high school" atomosphere of the ship. a lot of 18-21 year olds that are shall we say "not the valedictorians" (words of the command master cheif) and you get a lot of drama.

Was it really that much different though with US aircraft carrier crews of WWII and the 1950's? The vast majority of the ships crew also consisted of 18-21 year olds and most of them were blue collar. However, due to the big cultural changes that the US has undergone since WWII, I would be so bold to say that discipline back then was probably a bit better.

i don't disagree with you PM. I am sure it was different back then. just like things were different in the 70's when the navy had a drug problem on many ships. the navy is not exclusive of the US culture. i think women definately add to the mix (not to meaning to be sexist). there is more dating drama on board now and all the ususal problems that come with coed anything. i would be willing to bet though there was still drama on board ships in WW2 and in the 50's. i am sure there has been ever since men have been going to sea. it is just sort of enlightening to know that the armed forces are not always the galent warrors shown in the movies and on commericals.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504007 - 04/28/08 09:07 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Unpainted Arizona Offline

I was afraid someone would think I was being critical of the Navy when I said good and bad, but I also respect the military as much as anyone else. I served 3 years in the Army, my nephew is serving in Iraq with the marines, so I think they are awesome. But the Navy is like any gov't service, to some extent...

the recruiters show you all the cool stuff, but not the cleaning toilets part, or my favorite...when I was going through teletype school, the second shift students would come in every night at 1am, drunk and making noise in the bay...I still wish I had coldcocked that dumb SOB who screwed up my sleep every night...

when I went through basic, they had drafted all these puerto ricans whose constant refrain was "no comprende"...drove the DIs nuts and they took it out on us...

let's face it, the military does a lot of stupid crap but I support them 100% and this show does illustrate how tough a job it is.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504024 - 04/28/08 09:27 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: Unpainted Arizona]
graves_09 Offline

i don't think anyone here (at least me) thinks you were being critial of the navy. i liked the fact that it was truthful. i give them a lot of credit for the crap they have to do. i don't think that stateing the facts is being critial. even if those facts don't pertray the navy (or military)as all glamor. i think PBS does a good job of showing both sides (AFAIK). there was one part where the ordie was in the lunch line and referenced a video he saw on youtube. it showed a recruiting video of a guy jumping out of a helo and then it showed "what the navy is really like" the same guy washing the windows on the helo.

anyways i think it is a good all around honest look at life abourd a carrier.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504041 - 04/28/08 09:47 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: graves_09]
ForSquirrels Offline

Loc: Hokie Nation
My girlfriend and I went to see a movie last night and they had a preview for this. We had seen a preview on a Hi-def tv at Best Buy a couple of weeks earlier so I turned around and was like oh remind me when that comes on. Thats when she pointed out it was on while we were in the movie. Hope I catch it in a re-run.

Airpower Over Hampton Roads 2008

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504043 - 04/28/08 09:51 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: ForSquirrels]
Colt40Five Offline

Loc: Heart of Dixie
They have the first 2 episodes up to watch at the link in the original post...

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504061 - 04/28/08 10:08 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: Unpainted Arizona]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: Unpainted Arizona

the recruiters show you all the cool stuff, but not the cleaning toilets part,

It is well known that recruiters from all services will go to great lengths to meet their recruiting quotas. I had a friend in college who wanted to go to USMC OCS after he graduated but a recruiter at his local recruiting station told him that he had to join first as an enlisted man! Even I knew that was bs. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504074 - 04/28/08 10:44 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Hankmc Offline

Loc: NJ USA
I saw part of it.

The man overboard drill was interesting in that it was triggered by someone spotting a chem light in the ship's wake which would indicate a member of the deck crew had gone over since they all wore one for that reason.

The part I found interesting was that the XO started going on about this happening too often and that he felt someone was intentionally tossing chem lights overboard as a prank.

This drill gets all 5000 crew members involved in that everyone must be accounted for in addition to the members who are at their stations to launch rescue operations in the event someone turns up missing.

As said by others in this thread, when you have that many people on a ship there are bound to be a few who don't take it all seriously. That is a lot of disruption caused by one person out of 5000.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2504097 - 04/28/08 11:23 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: graves_09]
Vince H Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
 Quote:
Originally posted by graves_09:

but i find it kind of ironic that such a valuable asset is opperated by mostly kids that would otherwise be in a remedial job.

it also says something for those kids because most of them recognized that if they didn't join the navy they would be working at mcdonands or selling drugs or worse.

And what data do you have to backup such outlandish statements? As far as I'm concerned this is an insult to every enlisted person in our military services.

Vince

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504104 - 04/28/08 11:36 PM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: Vince H]
Lobber Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Funny as hell when the XO in one of the Squadrons was making funny of the Air Force. They got complaining about having to pay for their meals at sea (officers) and the one guy said the Air Force didn't have too. So the XO looks at him and says "You couldn't be in the Air Force...You know who your parents are..." and went on from there. It was pretty funny.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504139 - 04/29/08 12:53 AM Re: Carrier on PBS [Re: Vince H]
graves_09 Offline

Originally Posted By: Vince H
 Quote:
Originally posted by graves_09:

but i find it kind of ironic that such a valuable asset is opperated by mostly kids that would otherwise be in a remedial job.

it also says something for those kids because most of them recognized that if they didn't join the navy they would be working at mcdonands or selling drugs or worse.

And what data do you have to backup such outlandish statements? As far as I'm concerned this is a insult to every enlisted person in our military services.

Vince

watch the series. most of the enlisted said similiar things. look i am not knocking military service, but lets be honest most enlisted are not the honor roll students with college scholarships. the CMC said pretty much exactly that. i think the miltary takes a lot of people that maybe going down the wrong path and shapes them to go down the right path. that is not an insult it is the truth.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.