Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » One Last Shift......
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2503366 - 04/27/08 11:36 PM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: Razorback]
USAFMTL Offline
Lifer

Loc: WPAFB, Dayton, Oh
and that is that...last shift completed. All is well in the world. Thank you all very much for the kind words.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503371 - 04/27/08 11:51 PM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: USAFMTL]
BeachAV8R Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor
Lifer

Loc: Charlotte, NC USA
 Originally Posted By: USAFMTL
and that is that...last shift completed. All is well in the world. Thank you all very much for the kind words.

So I won't be seeing you here online at 3 or 4 in the morning?

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503378 - 04/28/08 12:02 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: BeachAV8R]
speedbump Offline

Loc: Anchorage
Glad you have finished buddy. Hope you do well with your family and thank you again for your sacrifices for out country.

http://www.razzledazzleart.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503424 - 04/28/08 01:21 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: BeachAV8R]
USAFMTL Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: BeachAV8R
 Originally Posted By: USAFMTL

So I won't be seeing you here online at 3 or 4 in the morning?

Oh you can't get rid of me that easily.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503430 - 04/28/08 01:50 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: USAFMTL]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
You mean, you finished your last shift without an emergency or two??

Good luck with your new life!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503443 - 04/28/08 02:20 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: Legend]
USAFMTL Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Legend
You mean, you finished your last shift without an emergency or two??

Good luck with your new life!

Not a one, thought we had a grass fire on base but it was a cigarette in some mulch.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503457 - 04/28/08 02:48 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: USAFMTL]
Shredder Offline

Wow Dave, your post brought back memories of my days when I was a command post controller at Aviano in the early nineties. I can relate to everything you wrote, and then some. My first assignment was as a ground launch cruise missile (GLCM) launch control officer at Greenham Common, UK. That job was the most fun and rewarding experience I'll ever have in my life. Dispersals, "peace" women protesters, soviet inspectors, pub crawling in London - man, what an incredible three years. They took our nukes away with the INF treaty and I got stuck with a command post assignment at Aviano. I went from having the greatest job in the world to having the shiittiest. Two years of being a glorified telephone operator and secretary is how I looked at it. Rarely would we have a real world incident that actually required us to think and react. God I hated that job with a passion. Needless to say I got out of the air force because that job would have been my future for many years and I wasn't cut out for it. Best decision I ever made.

Edited by Shredder (04/28/08 02:48 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503493 - 04/28/08 04:48 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: Shredder]
USAFMTL Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Shredder
Wow Dave, your post brought back memories of my days when I was a command post controller at Aviano in the early nineties. I can relate to everything you wrote, and then some. My first assignment was as a ground launch cruise missile (GLCM) launch control officer at Greenham Common, UK. That job was the most fun and rewarding experience I'll ever have in my life. Dispersals, "peace" women protesters, soviet inspectors, pub crawling in London - man, what an incredible three years. They took our nukes away with the INF treaty and I got stuck with a command post assignment at Aviano. I went from having the greatest job in the world to having the shiittiest. Two years of being a glorified telephone operator and secretary is how I looked at it. Rarely would we have a real world incident that actually required us to think and react. God I hated that job with a passion. Needless to say I got out of the air force because that job would have been my future for many years and I wasn't cut out for it. Best decision I ever made.

A GLCM Ranger. Alot of my bosses in ICBM maint were former GLCM Rangers.

I retrained into the Command Post and by far is the best job I ever had in the USAF. (Except the suicide crap) You were USAFE and all USAFE CP's suck ass. I haven't heard anyone say anything good about being a USAFE CP controller. Working AWAC's though has been a great experience. I got more real world situation experience in 2 years than I did on my previous 14 years. I am going to be command post in the reserves and after my girls start school I will be doing it full time again. (Hopefully)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503499 - 04/28/08 05:18 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: USAFMTL]
adlabs6 Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
All the best Dave. Thanks, and glad you'll be getting back to your family.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503535 - 04/28/08 06:59 AM Re: One Last Shift...... [Re: adlabs6]
FishTaco Offline

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I salute you Dave!

Good of you to give so much to your country, time to take it a bit easier now. make the most of your kids being young!

Best wishes from Andrew, Grace, and Zoe.

AJ

"A woman is just like an aeroplane. You have to treat them very gently, occasionally roughly, but the most important thing is that you must take them to heaven for at least five hours per day".

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.