Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2502440 - 04/26/08 01:49 PM Fatal shark attack near San Diego
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

Loc: Tucson AZ
I assume many of you have heard about this, but a triathelete, swimming in the ocean north of San Diego, was attacked by a shark and died:

Quote:
Martin, 66, died on the beach Friday morning after a shark, presumed to be a great white, lifted him out of the water with his legs in its jaws, leaving deep lacerations and shredding Martin's black wetsuit.

Martin, a retired veterinarian, was the first shark fatality in San Diego County since 1994. Prior to that, the last known fatal attack in the area was in 1959.

I heard that locals had noticed several seals up on the beach prior to the incident. Maybe the seals knew something predatory was in the water?

The rest of the story:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352694,00.html
Forever United States Army Ranger.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502445 - 04/26/08 02:01 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
Arthonon Offline

Loc: California
Yep, that's about 20 miles or so from my house. Very sad for him and his family.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - A. Einstein

http://www.techflyer.net

Top Bookmark and Share

#2502448 - 04/26/08 02:05 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Arthonon]
speedbump Offline

Loc: Anchorage
Man that's a terrible way to go.

http://www.razzledazzleart.com

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502464 - 04/26/08 02:43 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: speedbump]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

Sad indeed. Man, like getting hit by lightning, you just never know.

And for sure a terrible way to go. He clearly knew what happened, but with the massive blood loss, he was probably in shock quickly, and dead on the beach.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502469 - 04/26/08 03:03 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
This is a terrible incident but I hope the news media doesn't catch a sensationalist fever now and start reporting shark attacks on a daily basis like they've done before.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502475 - 04/26/08 03:19 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: PanzerMeyer]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

Do sharks see in color? Are they able to distinguish between different patterns of light and dark?

I only ask, because I wonder, since it seems like a black wetsuit makes a human look like a seal to them, what can be done? Make some zig zag yellow lightning bolt marks or something on the wetsuit? Just something so it's not black and really does look seal-like, especially when a large predator is coming up to take a bite from the bottom.

I'm sure fish scientists (my words) have studied this upside down, I just don't know what the answer is.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502479 - 04/26/08 03:36 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

Interesting. I'm sitting here, holding an old shark's mouth I got during one my many Mexico trips. Many moons ago.

Anyways, it's a little one, probably no more than a foot side to side, and about half a foot top to bottom. What's interesting is the rows of teeth. Sharks have a front row of teeth, and right behind another row, and further in more rows, folded back. As they lose teeth, these row move forward.

Man, small teeth, but lots of them. Sharp SOB's and serrated on the sides. This was a little guy, but my foot would go right in there and I'd hate to think what would happen if it bit.

Crikey.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2502484 - 04/26/08 03:50 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
It always amazes me when I see a shark aquarium (like a few weeks ago in Ocean Park in Hong Kong), and they have a mock-up of the jaws of Carcharodon Megalodon, the "grandfather" of the Great White. 18 metres long, teeth that are 15 centimetre or longer.... an average human would only be a small snack for that one.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502515 - 04/26/08 04:39 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Legend]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

One thing that's interesting, to me, is that animals, predators, have no feelings about this. They just do it. It's their nature. They are hunter/killers and they do it to survive. Otherwise, they won't. But they don't agonize over it, they don't worry about the feelings of their prey. They just kill, eat, go on.

Doesn't make them bad, or evil, or anything of the sort. They are what they are. Like when the tiger attacks in the zoo, well, it's a tiger. It does what it does. We can ascribe all the human characteristics we want to animals, but in the end, they are what they are.

If you happen across a bear, or a lion, or a shark on of those days, well, you've got a problem. But it doesn't mean we run around and start shooting bears or lions or spearing sharks. That is, IMO, an overreaction, and just plain nuts. I'd rather find ways to interact them in the wild that minimizes the risk. Doesn't get rid of the risk. Hell, people jump off cliffs with para sails too. Nuts.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502597 - 04/26/08 06:49 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
Trident Offline

Loc: Germany
 Originally Posted By: 20mm
Do sharks see in color? Are they able to distinguish between different patterns of light and dark?

I only ask, because I wonder, since it seems like a black wetsuit makes a human look like a seal to them, what can be done? Make some zig zag yellow lightning bolt marks or something on the wetsuit? Just something so it's not black and really does look seal-like, especially when a large predator is coming up to take a bite from the bottom.

I'm sure fish scientists (my words) have studied this upside down, I just don't know what the answer is.

Not a biologist but I think colour vision, if any, is likely to be very limited in fish. Eyesight is not that important for most of them anyway (pelagic predatory species like the Great White are something of an exception though) because range is often severely restricted and without an artificial lightsource colours would be even more difficult. Ever seen a coral reef without illumination from a TV camera? It doesn't look all that colourful and infact red is an effective camouflage colour underwater!

Distinguishing patterns of light and dark (i.e. grayscale vision) - very likely yes for a predatory fish like a Great White. Colours, probably not. If the grayscale contrast of the pattern on the wet suit is good enough, the idea might still work although the attack from below strategy of the Great White complicates things (the wearer will be backlit).

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502666 - 04/26/08 08:54 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Trident]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

OK, for those who are curious, here's my little guy trying to swallow a cell phone. Sharks do this you know. They don't discrimate between living and non living objects. They just eat it.

Now from the reverse angle, which we rarely get, unless the shark in question pariticipates:

This one did, but hey, he's been room temperature for over twenty years.

Don't know if you can see it, but the rows of teeth are there.

And after all these years, they remain sharp, I can tell you with confidence.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502731 - 04/26/08 11:17 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
peppergomez Offline

imagine that as a 20+foot montrosity coming for you....i'd go into total shock
GameXStream 700W PSU
Intel Core2Duo E6600Conroe 2.4GHz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
WDRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM
SoundBlasterX-Fi
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo
winxp sp2

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502759 - 04/27/08 12:05 AM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Trident]
RDDR Offline

Loc: San Diego,Calif
Just a few minutes from my home as well.
My son and I were at that very beach last Sunday afternoon.
Quite a shock.Never heard of attacks in this area due to the warmer water.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502760 - 04/27/08 12:06 AM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Trident]
RDDR Offline

Loc: San Diego,Calif
Just a few minutes from my home as well.
My son and I were at that very beach last Sunday afternoon.
Quite a shock.Never heard of attacks in this area due to the warmer water.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502780 - 04/27/08 01:06 AM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: RDDR]
KraziKanuK Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
Dressed in black (seal) and splashing in the water (in distress) is an invitation for a shark attack.

That the shark swam away after the attack, shows that it was not the seal in distress which the shark thought it was.

There have been several good documentaries on the TV about White sharks.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502802 - 04/27/08 01:53 AM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: KraziKanuK]
Hankmc Offline

Loc: NJ USA
This is a Megalodon tooth that we found in a remote area on the James River in Va.
It is four inches in length and the top is chipped off so that it could be used as a spear point
by the local Powhatan Indians, the tribe that befriended the Jamestown settlers.

Here are a few more various teeth my wife and I have found over the years in the same area.

The river and the Chesapeake Bay were home to prehistoric Megalodons where they fed on whales and their calves. Not exactly a friendly place in the good old days.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503338 - 04/27/08 10:27 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: Hankmc]
PV Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Often times, these sharks are just taking a nibble to get a taste of a potential meal. Of course, that nibble is typically fatal to the prey.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503784 - 04/28/08 03:32 PM Re: Fatal shark attack near San Diego [Re: 20mm]
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
 Originally Posted By: 20mm
Sad indeed. Man, like getting hit by lightning, you just never know.

Except there are generally no leisure activities where you purposely run around in a lightning storm.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.