Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Ben Stein's Expelled
Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2502263 - 04/26/08 03:13 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
Devil M Offline

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

You simply cannot comprehend this great mystery. If you could, then he wouldn't be God would he? But you are most certainly correct, you either believe this or you don't. It requires faith. My definition of faith is believing in spite of the questions.

Well, I'll say this- that's a departure again from the Old Testament. God was not philosophical, nor mysterious, nor sophisticated, nor what have you- he's pretty straight forward: "Here are the laws. Obey or don't obey, but you'll be sorry." Many times even if you obeyed him you would still be sorry.

Much of the mystery and grandiose doctrines of the religion came after the Bible, propagated by theologians and scholars who muck it up and wrote all kinds of stuff- anything they can fancy.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502272 - 04/26/08 03:27 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Stormtrooper]
Devil M Offline

Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
For you atheist types.

Romans chapter 1

1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

For the religious types:

Jesus cautions the enthusiastic-

"Not everyone who says to Me, "Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; away from Me, evil doers!'

"Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Top Bookmark and Share

#2502273 - 04/26/08 03:34 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
Devil M Offline

Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

And what is the expanse of the universe? Strange irony don't you think?

Something as real as the universe, seemingly infinite even to ol' Hubble's eye. Yet, the distance it measures is beyond comprehension. We can see the numbers of years on paper 15,000,000,000 years old, yet that amount of time is truly incomprehensible.

So how many faces of God are there? Maybe as infinite as the universe, and then some.

I thought at first you were a deist but that last line looks more like a form of pantheism- God is everything, or animism, everything is spiritual. It doesn't appear to be a tenant of religion in the formal sense, i.e., canonical doctrines.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502275 - 04/26/08 03:35 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Devil M]
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer

Loc: Washington state
In the end i'll be where i'm at and you'll be where you are.

One of us will be saying "Damn i'm F*cked" while the other will be laughing saying "Damn i'm glad i'm not that guy"

Fan of anyone in Nascar not driving a Camry.

Wondering around in the aftermath of Black Mesa East.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502277 - 04/26/08 03:44 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Stormtrooper]
Devil M Offline

In the end, neither of us will be in the position to laugh or lament at all- not any more than we were doing these things before we were born.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502278 - 04/26/08 03:49 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Stormtrooper]
Arthonon Offline

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Stormtrooper
In the end i'll be where i'm at and you'll be where you are.

One of us will be saying "Damn i'm F*cked" while the other will be laughing saying "Damn i'm glad i'm not that guy"

Nah, we'll both be in the same place - decomposing - but I will not have lived in an imaginary world. Or have lived in fear of where I would end up if I didn't live in that imaginary world.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - A. Einstein

http://www.techflyer.net

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502280 - 04/26/08 03:53 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Arthonon]
Devil M Offline

Better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven though ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2502293 - 04/26/08 04:36 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Devil M]
Arthonon Offline

Loc: California
I have to admit that I felt that some of the responses about athiests weren't very diplomatic, and my responses weren't any better, but now I've got a couple of more serious items I'd like to bring up for discussion

One is, if hell is considered a place of eternal suffering, are satan and the demons suffering now? If not, why, and will they suffer after the end times when Jesus returns?

Just curious on what everyone thinks of that.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - A. Einstein

http://www.techflyer.net

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502297 - 04/26/08 04:51 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Arthonon]
Devil M Offline

You have to look to religion to address that- that is its domain, just as biology is in the domain of science. Then again, and I have to stress- there is no Satan in Judaism. To see how arbitrary this all is:

The satan was a title, not a proper name, a prosecutor angel in God's court. The title means 'accuser' or 'opponent'. Over time, this simply became 'Satan' and evil personified; is it a coincidence that the popular image of the Devil is a satyr- from Greek mythology? No. Stormtrooper probably won't tell you that, but would sooner explain the Devil to you in real terms. It's funny, because Christianity is arguably not a monotheistic religion in a pure sense, since it has dual entities and hierarchies- arch devils and archangels, and so on.

Some theologians do not believe literally in a lake of fire and brimstone but the metaphor of hell is simply the seperation and isolation from God. I think the Mormons actually have several levels of heaven reserved for different levels of piety. Hell in Judaism and Islam is just transient- eventually it's possible to get out.

Finally, look to the context of many of these cultures in their depiction of Heaven and Hell- in desert climes, Heaven is a cool oasis, Hell is a hot inferno; in cold climates, hell is more of the same.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502307 - 04/26/08 05:33 AM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Devil M]
Rilex Offline

Loc: Washington
 Quote:

One is, if hell is considered a place of eternal suffering, are satan and the demons suffering now?

If I've learned anything, it is that South Park has taught me even Satan has Christmas time in Hell.

Of course, unless you're Mormon, you're going to hell.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 15 of 19 < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.