Loc: France

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503680 - 04/28/08 01:02 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: kaa]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: kaa
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151137/, from Luc Besson

Link doesn't work but I absolutely love Luc Besson's work! Fifth Element, Leon, Le Femme Nikita, etc.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503763 - 04/28/08 02:54 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Jayhawk Offline

Loc: Munich, the deep south
Just remove the "comma", then the link works. It links to the Joan of Arc movie with Milla Jovovich that has already been mentioned in this thread.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503767 - 04/28/08 03:01 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: Jayhawk]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Just remove the "comma", then the link works.

Doh, I should have noticed that. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503782 - 04/28/08 03:28 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: sonatine]
Forward Observer Offline

Loc: Maumelle , Arkansas,US of A
There is not a lot other than what is already listed, but

From the IMDB

1.The Bruce (1996)

Director: Bob Carruthers and David McWhinnie; Cast includes Oliver Reed, Brian Blessed, Michael van Wijik and Sandy Welch as Robert the Bruce

I have not seen this one, but they indicate that it includes a battle of Bannockburn sequence that was the largest filmed reconstruction of medieval battle ever staged in the Britain.

2.Cromwell(1970)

Also although not officially medieval since it is set during the English Civil war in 1642, men were still fighting in armor and using swords. There are several huge battle sequences that are quite good. Like Braveheart the film gets most of the history wrong, but I thought the battles impressive and I always enjoy watching Richard Harris and Alec Guiness do their stuff.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503801 - 04/28/08 03:55 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: Forward Observer]
letterboy1 Offline
Lifer

Loc: Columbus, GA USA
Does Rob Roy count? I loved Tim Roth's part in that movie.

Edit: Okay, the 1700's are way after the middle ages, so sue me.

Edited by letterboy1 (04/28/08 03:59 PM)
Edit Reason: Historical inaccuracy

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503823 - 04/28/08 04:21 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: letterboy1]
Jayhawk Offline

Loc: Munich, the deep south
....plus a considerable lack of European knights fighting each other on the battlefield. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503827 - 04/28/08 04:33 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: letterboy1]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: letterboy1
Edit: Okay, the 1700's are way after the middle ages, so sue me.

I take it then that you failed high school history class? ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503981 - 04/28/08 08:31 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: PanzerMeyer]
CheckSix Offline

Loc: UK
Here's a couple of golden oldies I remember enjoying, one of which (Richard III I think), has a real good battle scene, lots of mud, very realistic.

cut and paste from allmovie.com...

Henry V
Laurence Olivier's adaptation of Henry V is one of the finest Shakespeare films ever made, full of rousing action, beautiful colors and passionate performances. Henry V is the story of the newly crowned king of England who fights the French for possession of Normandy. Olivier's direction is inventive, beginning the film as if it were a performance at the Globe Theatre, and having it slowly expand so the final battle scenes take place in realistic settings. Released in 1944 during the height of World War II, Henry V didn't receive an American release until 1946, upon which Olivier won a special Academy Award for "his outstanding achievement as actor, producer and director in bringing Henry V to the screen."

Richard III
Laurence Olivier was the director, co-screenwriter (with Alan Dent), and star of this robust adaptation of Shakespeare's drama, which, as Bruce Eder has written, "was the final, crowning glory of the British studio system and the end of the great cycle of British films aimed at international audiences." Olivier begins his Richard III with Edward IV (Cedric Hardwicke) being crowned king. In the background of the celebration, Richard (Laurence Olivier) jealously views the proceedings. Soon afterwards, Edward IV is murdered, drowned in a vat of wine. Richard becomes king and, after proceeding with a succession of intrigues and duplicities, he finds his kingdom in dire peril, set upon by Henry Tudor (Stanley Baker) and mustering a final defense for his realm at the Battle of Bosworth.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503993 - 04/28/08 08:46 PM Re: Warfare from Middle Ages [Re: Forward Observer]
Freycinet Offline

Originally Posted By: Forward Observer
There is not a lot other than what is already listed, but

Wauw, you must have a big knowledge of movie history... ;\)

I believe there are several good Middle Ages war movies. One that I enjoyed was:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089153/

Flesh+Blood by Paul Verhoeven.

REALLY medieval, with lots of fighting and of course the PLAGUE thrown in for full measure....

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.