Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2501131 - 04/24/08 07:29 PM While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR?
bones Offline

Loc: Earth
Anyone catch this? I wanted to see it in the theatre then it disappeard then suddenly reappeared on DVD. It must have a cloaking device like the Predator. It was the OTHER DVD I bought without seeing first, but whatever....

I thought it was OK, a bit better than AVP was, but still cheesy. It bugged me that Kelly (Reiko Ayslworth) had ACUs on with MARPAT on it but a US Army patch, and could magically drive a Striker AND fly a Huey...

But that's just my geekiness.

The unrated extreme edition--some pretty disturbing images there...

v6,
boNes

Top Bookmark and Share
#2501134 - 04/24/08 07:35 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: bones]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
I'll be renting the dvd and checking it out for myself. I didn't bother watching it in the theater due to the mountain heaps of negative reviews I read from both critics and fans. I have the first AvsP on dvd and yeah, it does have cheesy moments but I think Lance Henriksen and Sanaa Latham were pretty good.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2501611 - 04/25/08 11:25 AM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
shan2 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
I liked AVPR. I'd say 4 stars. \:D

The entire movie is shot a bit too dark, but I guess that's just because Aliens look goofy in daylight.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2501823 - 04/25/08 03:54 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: shan2]
bones Offline

Originally Posted By: shan2
I liked AVPR. I'd say 4 stars. \:D

The entire movie is shot a bit too dark, but I guess that's just because Aliens look goofy in daylight.

Yeah, it is...but Aliens always have been in the dark gloomy settings.

I had a problem with the tightness of the camera angles. Sometimes you can't see what the frak is going on during the fight scenes.

v6,
boNes

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502008 - 04/25/08 07:48 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: bones]
NoUseForAName Offline

Loc: Oregon a.k.a. Northern Califor...
lol! this must have been a winner; i didn't even know it came out until i saw this thread! I'll still check it out tho

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502038 - 04/25/08 08:42 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: NoUseForAName]
Rick.50cal Offline
FS2004 / FSX Forum Moderator
Lifer

Saw AVPR in the theatre (boss paid for ticks), hoping that it would at least be an ok shoot em up similar to AVP... and while there was a few interesting scenes... it just sucked overall. IMO of course. Nothing like how much I enjoyed Cloverfield.

BTW: the last big fight was SO dark that during it I gave up bothering to care what happened, it was just disjointed blurry shapes of no meaning, 80% of the time I couldn't tell which was an alien, and which was the Pred-alien, and 100% of the time I couldn't care less. Then there was so many strategic mistakes on the part of supposedly battle hardened veterans that I was literally shaking my head wondering if the aliens winning would be an improvement.

Oh, and what's with all these whining looser boys in the movies, who just inexplicably suddenly "get the girl" who's drop dead hot?!?! Transformers... AVPR, I'm sure I'm forgetting other recent examples. I mean, these guys just don't bring anything redeeming to the table?

Ok, it's not THAT bad, and if you are a fan of the series, rent it. But don't be expecting something of the quality of the first three movies, you'll be sorely disappointed. Heck, it's not even as good as the first AVP.

Yech. Studio really should have taken the money and just get Ridley Scott, Jim Cameron and Sigourney Weaver to make something awesome... 'cause if any franchise needs a serious reboot, it's this one. For a series to go from "Alien", considered one of the best movies of all time (not just scifi), down to this "straight to video" candidate... is frankly appalling. Bring back our favorite heroine and give us some truly talented directors who can make the effort worthwhile.

Edited by Rick.50cal (04/25/08 08:55 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502172 - 04/26/08 12:40 AM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: Rick.50cal]
Rogered Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Vic, Australia
What Rick said...

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.
- Alice Kahn

Top Bookmark and Share

#2503714 - 04/28/08 01:51 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: Rogered]
bones Offline

SPOILER

Well, you gotta admit, Ms. Yutani showing up at the end was quite a nice surprise...

v6,
boNes

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503723 - 04/28/08 02:00 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: bones]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
The AvsP movies are not the worst that I've ever seen. I've seen movies which were much worse thanks to Mystery Science Theater. ;\)

However, the fundamental problem that I have here and Rick did touch on it a bit, is that Fox took two franchises which started off as serious adult sci-fi and horror and turned them into mindless action movies with minimal plot. So story and acting and character development took a back seat to mindless action sequences. The AvsP movies are clearly marketed towards the teenage/young adult crowd.

Edited by PanzerMeyer (04/28/08 02:00 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503749 - 04/28/08 02:37 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
bones Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
The AvsP movies are not the worst that I've ever seen. I've seen movies which were much worse thanks to Mystery Science Theater. ;\)

However, the fundamental problem that I have here and Rick did touch on it a bit, is that Fox took two franchises which started off as serious adult sci-fi and horror and turned them into mindless action movies with minimal plot. So story and acting and character development took a back seat to mindless action sequences. The AvsP movies are clearly marketed towards the teenage/young adult crowd.

Given that the idea spawned primarily from the comic book series AND the video game franchise, go figure.

It's the most popular though...the 1st movie to try this was Freddy Vs. Jason...and you never saw a sequel to that ever.

Now if they have that Batman Superman movie hinted at by "I Am Legend"....I wonder...

v6,
boNes

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504064 - 04/28/08 10:11 PM Re: While We're on Cloverfield, how about AVPR? [Re: bones]
Rick.50cal Offline
FS2004 / FSX Forum Moderator
Lifer

Originally Posted By: bones
SPOILER
Well, you gotta admit, Ms. Yutani showing up at the end was quite a nice surprise...

To me all it served is reminding me of just how great the first few movies were, and then contrasted it with the POS that was just ending!

You know, I'm not opposed to having the Preds and Aliens in the same movie... but c'mon, make it worthwhile, spend a few years on a script, spend the money it will require. This one looked like they went on the super-cheap, they couldn't even film in Vancouver, they had to choose Langley (distant small city/big town 23 miles from Vancouver). Make some characters we can CARE about and empathize with, this one just felt like I was looking at slasher-film-victims. Well except the boy and girl who like each other, but her being interested in him was not convincing, since he was a nobody, had nothing, and had DONE NOTHING to interest her in the slightest.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.