Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2499917 - 04/23/08 10:08 AM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: Crane Hunter]
AntEater Offline

Loc: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
I think the Flankers shot down the MiG-29s, and it was more something like 3-4, but one of them was a MiG-29 UB shot down by a ethiopian female pilot.
Apart from that, most combat on both sides was done by russians/ukrainians (didn't matter much in those days before Ukraine went orange).
Same goes for the Su-25s in Macedonia in 1999. If somebody suddenly starts to have modern russian hardware and uses it operationally, it usually means the pilots came with the planes.

Regarding the georgian situation, Georgia (the government, not the people) always reminds me of a small boy insulting a big boy (Russia) while hiding behind his very large but slightly demented brother (the US :D).
Sakashvili uses Russia as the general root of all evil, mainly because Georgia is piss poor and he managed to disappoint pretty much every hope the people had in him when he made his coup.
Think of Georgia as a latin american country like Colombia, only in the Caucasus. The people are even similar in mentality.
The problem with Abkhazia is that these people are ethnically not georgian, so if someone grands independence to Kosovo because the majority is ethnically different from Serbia, the same applies here. Also, Abkhazia is de facto independent since the mid 1990s, and the claim that this is "georgian territory" is ridiculous. De jure it is, but de facto the georgian government has no control over this region. A seperate government exists, which also has its own armed forces. In a region where you have 100 nationalities in an area of the size of Belgium, the idea of a nation based on race is a bit stretched anyway. The Caucasus is full of very ancient and weird cultures, most of which can not stand each other.
The soviets just kept the peace by treaty everybody as equal (sending everybody to siberia if he made trouble, regardless of race :D).
But that only applies until Gorbatchev came to power, after that the soviet union started acting politically correct and started respecting minority rights and stuff....

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499948 - 04/23/08 11:26 AM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: AntEater]
KraziKanuK Offline

Loc: Ottawa Canada
The missile looks like it is launched from the wing tip. Afaik the MiG 29 doesn't have wingtip rails. The Su 27 does.

Would say it is a publicity stunt to stir up more trouble.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2500008 - 04/23/08 12:51 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: KraziKanuK]
Jolly07 Offline

Originally Posted By: KraziKanuK
The missile looks like it is launched from the wing tip. Afaik the MiG 29 doesn't have wingtip rails. The Su 27 does.

Would say it is a publicity stunt to stir up more trouble.

you know I thought about it being a Su-27 myself. more so as I've read that the Russian Air Force prefers it to the MiG-29.

I'd only need to see the angle of the tailfins to tell for sure what it is.
if we only had a better quality video..

EDIT:
watched the YT version again..
http://i26.tinypic.com/908yfr.png

you can see here that the right tailfin of the plane is not at 90 degrees like at the Su-27.
also, the wings are shorter compared to the body than at the Su-27.
so I guess it's not a Su-27 after all.

Edited by Jolly07 (04/23/08 01:01 PM)
Edit Reason: MiG-29, I think

dude, you were wrong. check out TAW modding.

btw.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2Kq0CNRacU

Top Bookmark and Share
#2501862 - 04/25/08 04:48 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: RSColonel_131st]
Groove Offline

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
No Air/Air Armed UAVs anywhere in the world yet.

I have the cam video of the Mig-25 vs Predator incident. The predator is shooting back at the Mig-25, but too late.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2501926 - 04/25/08 05:56 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: RSColonel_131st]
Skater Offline

Loc: NYC

That is not quite correct.

\:D

-Skater
"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502049 - 04/25/08 09:01 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: Sim]
Trident Offline

Loc: Germany
 Originally Posted By: Airdrop01
Russian government = Al Capone and gang with nuclear weapons.

While that is basically true...

Originally Posted By: Sim

Independence in Kosovo is ok, but for Abhasia it isn't?

...this also is. And Russia has made it clear all along that they consider it to be a double standard. You don't have to like Russian agitprop to admit the West has left themselves preciously little room to maneuver with their rather overzealous support for Kosovo's independence.

Note that I'm not saying whether independence for Kosovo was a mistake or not - but it clearly was rushed with other issues like Abkhazia remaining.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2502087 - 04/25/08 10:01 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: Skater]
USAFMTL Offline
Lifer

Loc: WPAFB, Dayton, Oh
 Originally Posted By: Skater

-Skater

That is what I said. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2502247 - 04/26/08 02:45 AM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: Freycinet]
Dozer_EAF(T) Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Freycinet
Of course neither the Russian pilot nor anybody else ever expected that the atttack would be filmed from the drone itself. But I guess it would still have been much more prudent, if he wanted to cover his tracks, to shoot the missile from a much wider distance, so the plane wouldn't be so easy to connect to the kill. Anyway, easy to say after the shoot-down.

To me this footage screams to me, "hey, it actually LOOKS like it does in Lock-ON, the sim isn't that far off!!"

I thought the same at first - but then again, the first thing which comes to my mind when I think 'UAV' is footage like this, taken from the big testicle-like camera under the fuselage. The UAV is the only type of aircraft to be flown by camera - a moment's thought (which I didn't think until after I'd read your post!) makes you realise that a UAV is the most likely type to video-record your aircraft and attack!

"Other than that if you think Tempest is not manouverable in-game, then I suggest a fix - don't be a cheap bast*rd and go buy a joystick" - Brain32

Top Bookmark and Share
#2503764 - 04/28/08 02:56 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: USAFMTL]
Skater Offline

Loc: NYC
 Originally Posted By: USAFMTL
 Originally Posted By: Skater

-Skater

That is what I said. ;\)

\:\)

I should have read further down before I replied Dave. \:\)

-Skater
"As Iron Sharpens Iron, so does a friend sharpen a friend." Proverbs 27:17
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female, for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

Top Bookmark and Share
#2504625 - 04/29/08 06:28 PM Re: Russian MiG 29 shoots down Georgian UAV [Re: Skater]
TooCool_12f Offline

Loc: moving around europe...
last news: russian officials (and also some french experts) claim the video is fake...

http://fr.rian.ru/world/20080429/106196774.html

details here.. you may want a translation, but I couldn't find the same article in english...

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.