Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2498614 - 04/21/08 05:39 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
EAF331 MadDog Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
I never could finish the whole Foundation series, just through it got too weird at the end. But I enjoy the first 4-5 books.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498622 - 04/21/08 05:54 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Colt40Five Offline

Loc: Heart of Dixie
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Not trying to open a can of worms here but I actually like the David Lynch movie adaptation. I also like the Sci-Fi Dune miniseries but some of the acting performances were spotty and the budget limitations were painfully obvious in some of the external shots.

IMHO the Lynch version is the benchmark. I couldn't watch the sci-fi channel's version at all.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2498624 - 04/21/08 05:56 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: EAF331 MadDog]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog
I never could finish the whole Foundation series, just through it got too weird at the end. But I enjoy the first 4-5 books.

Let me guess, probably the Foundation books which were NOT written by Asimov were the weaker ones huh?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498730 - 04/21/08 08:43 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
WalterNowi Offline

Loc: San Gabriel, CA
IIRC, all 7 of them were written by Asimov. Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation were written first, many years ago. He then revisited this series and wrote Foundation's edge. Later, he also wrote the prequels "Prelude to Foundation" and "Forward the Foundation", and finally wrapped up the series with "Foundation and Earth".

Personally, I like the original trilogy and the prequel best, but all 7 of them are good reads. Hope you enjoy them PanzerMeyer.
MSI NX8800GT 512 MB
Silverstone DA650 650W
CH Products FS/PT/PP
Track IR3 Pro w/ Vector

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499138 - 04/22/08 09:44 AM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: WalterNowi]
Freycinet Offline

I also think the original trilogy is by far the best. These sci-fi books often go a bit downhill when sequels come out. A good example is Clarke's Rama and Niven and Pounelle's The Mote in God's Eye. The sequels to both of those stunk to high heaven...

The Mote in God's Eye is, to me, the best sci-fi novel I've ever read, a fabulous description of humanity's first encounter with aliens.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499180 - 04/22/08 11:37 AM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: PanzerMeyer]
EAF331 MadDog Offline

Loc: Oslo, Norway
 Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
 Originally Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Let me guess, probably the Foundation books which were NOT written by Asimov were the weaker ones huh?

No, as a general rule I avoid ghost-written novels like the plague, or books that says "Writer X's blabla" (like Tom Clancy's WhateverHeSoldthisWeek).

Only exception to that for me is Christopher Tolkien, as he mainly only organizes the papers/threads/fragments that his father left behind, and doesn't write new fiction with JRRTs name on it.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499200 - 04/22/08 12:28 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: WalterNowi]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: WalterNowi
Hope you enjoy them PanzerMeyer.

Thanks Walter. I'm almost halfway through "Foundation" so far and I'm really liking it. This Psychohistory stuff is interesting. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2499869 - 04/23/08 06:40 AM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: Legend]
FastCargo Offline

Originally Posted By: Legend
But the "trilogy" has seven books (not counting several others written by other writers). And if you include the robot stories, and Baley/Olivaw detectives, Robots of Dawn / Robots and Empire, and the Galactic Empire series, there are 18 books written by Asimov that can be read more or less chronologically. Although some of those aren't that good.

Yea, I started the same way with the original Foundation trilogy before getting ALL the other books eventually...takes up a whole shelf all by itself.

As far as Dune goes, my wife had it pretty much nailed in considering the movie/miniseries versions:

David Lynch got the 'look' right, but fairly tore up the story.

The SciFi channel got the look wrong, but stuck a lot closer to the story. She enjoyed the 'Children of Dune' mini-series more so than the 'Dune' miniseries (oh look at the funny hats).

FastCargo

Top Bookmark and Share
#2499994 - 04/23/08 12:35 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: FastCargo]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Originally Posted By: FastCargo
The SciFi channel got the look wrong, but stuck a lot closer to the story. She enjoyed the 'Children of Dune' mini-series more so than the 'Dune' miniseries (oh look at the funny hats).

FastCargo

The Children of Dune miniseries was a huge improvement over the Dune miniseries. It just had a lot more polish to it, better production design and a better cast.

LOL at your comment about the funny hats. The costume design in the Dune miniseries was so laughably bad, it got distracting.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2500305 - 04/23/08 07:14 PM Re: The Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov [Re: FastCargo]
WalterNowi Offline

Loc: San Gabriel, CA
 Originally Posted By: FastCargo
As far as Dune goes, my wife had it pretty much nailed in considering the movie/miniseries versions:

David Lynch got the 'look' right, but fairly tore up the story.

FastCargo

I completely agree. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the purple clown suits that the Sardaukars wore in the miniseries. As to the miniseries, a change of director from "Dune" to "Children of Dune" made a huge improvement. Just compare the performances of Alec Newman (Paul) and Julie Cox (Irulan).

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.