Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2497964 - 04/20/08 01:52 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: LukeFF]
Legend Offline

Loc: Zutphen, NL / ShangHai, China
 Originally Posted By: LukeFF
 Originally Posted By: chronoPilot
If some geneticist was fired because he disagreed with some arcane portion of evolution, that's wrong. There's still lots to learn regarding the early stages and mechanisms of evolution. Also, if some behavioral scientist is a creationist, that's fine too (since it's not expected for she or he to know about evolution). But if someone's a geneticist and they say they believe in the Creation Story, then I'd have to question where they got their degree from. Scientific understanding and a literal interpretation of the Bible are at odds.

It takes more faith to believe we evolved from nothing than to believe we were created by something. \:\)

Hardly "nothing". Evolution is a continuing, proven process where basically, but not exclusively, simple organisms become over the course of time more specialized or complex. It happens on a micro-scale (even most creationists believe in micro-evolution), but also on a macro-scale - basically from the amino-acids to organisms, to single-cell organisms, to complex organisms and finally to me ;\) .
However, "being created" also includes a higher, intelligent being (otherwise he/she/it could not create anything) - but leaves out completely where that being comes from, what it is etc. Unfortunately, any question, any criticism, is often killed with remarks about faith or belief not adhering to scientific conventions.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498020 - 04/20/08 03:46 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
Colt40Five Offline

Loc: Heart of Dixie
If creation is so complex that it requires a creator...than that creator must be more complex still...so who created the creator?

Top Bookmark and Share

#2498021 - 04/20/08 03:46 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Legend]
TerribleTwo Offline

Genesis clearly defined the beginning of our known universe long before anyone such as Darwin "discovered" it.

It says that God created the heavens and the earth.
-Hmm why not just snap his celestial fingers and boom, everything is in existance, heck he's God right? Why do this in steps?

Now the Earth was void and without form.
-What the? Void and without form???? I mean aren't you GOD? How imperfect is that! Creating something without form and void of all life and whatever??? What was he thinking?

And God seperated the dry land from the waters.
-Hm.. long before scientists thought the earth was one big continent... Genesis already proclaimed it.

And then of course we have the 6 days of creation..
- So this almighty God fella... he creates life, but he STARTS with the basics? I mean what the...? It says he put the fish in the seas first... Science claims that we orginally came from the ocean! What is the purpose of creating the animals first before creating man?

What I'm saying, at least I hope someone saw my sarcasm, is that debate over evolution and the likes is moot. I believe in evolution... no not to the point that humans evolved from apes, that just doesn't make sense nor does it jive with my common sense, but evolution does happen. I just happen to believe that this was the design of life that God created. God created evolution.

PS. And oh Colt45, as to who created the Creator? You cannot answer that. It's called faith. You have the option to not believe.

Edited by TerribleTwo (04/20/08 03:51 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498025 - 04/20/08 03:52 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
Colt40Five Offline

Loc: Heart of Dixie
 Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

You have the option to not believe.

Thank god....hehe

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498036 - 04/20/08 04:15 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Colt40Five]
tn_prvteye Offline

Loc: Nash'Vegas, TN, USA
ELVIS!
Everybody in outer space looks like Elvis.
Cause Elvis is a perfect being.
We are all moving in perfect peace and harmony towards Elvisness

Soon all will become Elvis.
Everything everywhere will be Elvis.
Why do you think they call it evolution anyway?
It's really Elvislution!
Elvislution!
"Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."
-Dwight D Eisenhower

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498049 - 04/20/08 04:34 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: TerribleTwo]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

I believe in evolution... no not to the point that humans evolved from apes, that just doesn't make sense nor does it jive with my common sense, but evolution does happen.

Evolution does not state that humans evolved from apes. It states that humans (Homo erectus, sapien, habilis, neanderthalensis, etc.) and the great apes both descended from a common ancestor.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498059 - 04/20/08 04:49 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: PanzerMeyer]
killdevil Offline

Loc: North Carolina Islands
Thankyou PanzerMeyer for stating that, most folks fail to grasp that concept.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2498076 - 04/20/08 05:28 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: killdevil]
fritzthefox Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
There is no way someone intelligent designed ME. Everything is in the wrong size.

I think my favorite movie about evolution is still Idiocracy.

Edited by fritzthefox (04/20/08 05:29 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498112 - 04/20/08 07:42 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: fritzthefox]
Forward Observer Offline

Loc: Maumelle , Arkansas,US of A
 Originally Posted By: fritzthefox
There is no way someone intelligent designed ME. Everything is in the wrong size.

I think my favorite movie about evolution is still Idiocracy.

Yeah, why put the place we go to the bathroom right next to all the fun parts of the body?

--and I can see absolutely no purpose for ear hair and toe jam---I was going to also mention boogers, but then remembered that I am from Arkansas and that many of the locals consider them good eatin'. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2498185 - 04/20/08 11:15 PM Re: Ben Stein's Expelled [Re: Colt40Five]
Avimimus Offline

Originally Posted By: Colt40Five
Religion is dying a slow death...but don't expect it to go quietly...

Spirituality certainly isn't. There are followers of Einstein:
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/kauffman06/kauffman06_index.html

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 ... 18 19 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.