Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2478660 - 03/25/08 03:57 PM Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI
S Dirickson Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Here's my dilemma: I'd like to merge Wings Over Vietnam and Wings Over Europe into my Wings Over Israel install, or at least the stock aircraft and terrain. Following that, I'd like to add a few Vietnam campaigns into the mix.

I've got the terrains added in just fine, but I'm having issues with the aircraft. Now, before I start individually extracting files from .cat's and tweaking each individual aircraft into WOI, I have a little "What If?" question.

Say I were to extract the files from the WOV and WOI ObjectData.cat's into separate folders, add any missing files from WOV into WOI, then repackage the WOI ObjectData.cat, would that allow me to simply copy the aircraft folders from WOV into WOI? I understand, I'll most likely have to do the same with the other catalog files in WOI.

Or, am I completely nuking this out? Is there some easier method I've missed and do I deserve a nice bold RTFM?

Texan

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478690 - 03/25/08 04:42 PM Re: Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI [Re: S Dirickson]
TurtleHawk Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I think it depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve.

While I understand the interest in having a merged install, I think it presents all kinds of challenges. I think generally people run era/campaign/theater specific installs for actual gameplay. It can get dicey mixing era, weapons, etc.

I have installed several terrains and aircraft into WOI. Terrains work, A/C are sort of hit or miss. I think that is because of the changes/upgrades made to WOI.
Some modders are starting to release A/C mods which have been upgraded to WOI standards.

I have decided to hold off on any installs, merges, etc. until after the patch comes out that brings all TW sims up to the WOI standard.

Just my $.02
And yes, it does help to RTFM, several times. And there is one for merged installs. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share

#2478756 - 03/25/08 06:19 PM Re: Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI [Re: TurtleHawk]
S Dirickson Offline

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Quote:
I have decided to hold off on any installs, merges, etc. until after the patch comes out that brings all TW sims up to the WOI standard.

Ahh so. If that's in the works, I can wait.

Texan

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478769 - 03/25/08 06:46 PM Re: Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI [Re: S Dirickson]
MigBuster Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: S Dirickson
Here's my dilemma: I'd like to merge Wings Over Vietnam and Wings Over Europe into my Wings Over Israel install, or at least the stock aircraft and terrain. Following that, I'd like to add a few Vietnam campaigns into the mix.

I've got the terrains added in just fine, but I'm having issues with the aircraft. Now, before I start individually extracting files from .cat's and tweaking each individual aircraft into WOI, I have a little "What If?" question.

Say I were to extract the files from the WOV and WOI ObjectData.cat's into separate folders, add any missing files from WOV into WOI, then repackage the WOI ObjectData.cat, would that allow me to simply copy the aircraft folders from WOV into WOI? I understand, I'll most likely have to do the same with the other catalog files in WOI.

Or, am I completely nuking this out? Is there some easier method I've missed and do I deserve a nice bold RTFM?

Well nothing wrong with your own experimenting of course!

But yep good advice to wait for Service Pack 5 before going overboard on the modding.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479717 - 03/26/08 07:41 PM Re: Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI [Re: S Dirickson]
FastCargo Offline

Originally Posted By: S Dirickson

As far as I can tell, this would actually work just fine (and I would like to do the same thing). The problem is that a CAT repackager as far as I know does not exist. If it did exist, it would be VERY useful...you could make some nice 'clean' installs that way.

FastCargo

Top Bookmark and Share
#2480572 - 03/27/08 11:27 PM Re: Problems Manually Merging WOV and WOE into WOI [Re: FastCargo]
Jedi Master Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
I think the best bet is to wait until WOV and WOE have their FM's patched with the upcoming patch and THEN merge them with WOI.

The Jedi Master

Top Bookmark and Share

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.