Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » Something strange is going on
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2475529 - 03/21/08 12:46 PM Something strange is going on
Col. Gibbon Offline

Loc: Fleet, Hampshire, England.
We seem to have 70 viewing the European Air War forum today, which is really something, because a few months back we had a mere 25 or so.

So, come on in Ladies and Gents, pull up a virtual chair, help yourself to a tin of our finest beer, from our fridge, which you'll find is conveniently placed in all your homes, and introduce yourselves. \:\)

We just hate lurkers. \:D

At home, with my loving wife Kasia and children, Thomas, Jessica & little Nicola. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475574 - 03/21/08 01:45 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Wudpecker Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Colonel-- I think we have a leak, as they say in the White House.
Somebody smells the cake baking and knows it's almost done.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2475587 - 03/21/08 01:58 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Wudpecker]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Yes, I see your point wuddy.

Do you think they are all waiting for us to put it out on the windowsill, so they can steal a piece of EAW, finger licking good pie?

At home, with my loving wife Kasia and children, Thomas, Jessica & little Nicola. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475592 - 03/21/08 02:04 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
mikew Offline

Loc: UK
Hi, I live in the forum below yours (F22 Total Air War) and the number of people viewing is usually 5....and I have a fair idea who they are.

Today, it's about 30. Is SimHQ having an Open Day, or has someone been playing around with the forum settings over the last couple of days?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475629 - 03/21/08 02:29 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: mikew]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Hi mikew.

Nice to see you here. \:\)

It might have something to do with the bad weather we are having this Easter, in the UK? I don't know, but it seems to have been getting very busy here recently, and not many new faces to account for the 70 viewers I saw today.

I've got a copy of F22 some where in my collection, but I'm not really a fan of Bunsen burners. \:D What's the state of modding of F22 these days. Is there much going on? We are always looking for textures & terrains to adapt, but I've never been able to unpick the texture files in F22. How do you get at them?

Our new exe, with a shed load of updates is due out around the **** of ******, so I hope you'll give it a go. ;\)

What a tease. \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475689 - 03/21/08 03:38 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Skylark Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Maybe it's time to take a count of those who are still here.
Of those who are back and those who are newly introduced to The 'Old Gal'....

Seasoned EAW Fans....returned sons.... friends and lurkers alike

Step up to the bar and make your presences felt... \:D

Edited by Skylark (03/21/08 03:39 PM)

http://www.sandbaggereaw.com/skylark.html

Top Bookmark and Share
#2477602 - 03/24/08 08:28 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Skylark]
rwatson Offline

Loc: Cambridge,Ohio
Just saying Hello to all..Not able to fly online but check this forum daily
JG51_Ruski

Top Bookmark and Share

#2477620 - 03/24/08 10:38 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: rwatson]
Pobs Offline

Loc: North Wales, UK
Hi Ruski,

good to see you here mate

cheers,

Jg51_ Lemke

AKA Pobs

Top Bookmark and Share
#2477734 - 03/24/08 02:25 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Pobs]
Baron Von Martin Offline

Loc: Peenemuende, MB.
Hello,

Yes I noticed something strange too! These no longer fit in the OAW folder as before...

S!

BVM

Top Bookmark and Share
#2477877 - 03/24/08 05:05 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Baron Von Martin]
iron mike Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Gas generating munitions?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478250 - 03/25/08 01:59 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: iron mike]
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline

I admit, I lurk on a regular basis. EAW's community is the standard of what can be done. I am a fan, but not a player. ;\) I am happy to enjoy the aroma from the best bakers.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478285 - 03/25/08 02:47 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Brit44 'Aldo']
iron mike Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Come on in and buy a bun, or a bag of popcorn. The aroma is only a tease.

Edited by iron mike (03/25/08 02:48 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478541 - 03/25/08 12:42 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: iron mike]
oldgrognard Offline

Loc: Spring Hill, FL
I haven't been by in a long while. Big changes in my life that took up a lot of time. But most of all my new computer won't run EAW. Graphics card issue. I already did a thread on Dropped By.

Yes EAW and its supporting community is still the standard to judge by.

Edited by oldgrognard (03/25/08 12:55 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2478792 - 03/25/08 07:20 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: oldgrognard]
Pobs Offline

Loc: North Wales, UK
Jeepers,

we touched on 99 viewing tonight !!...

not bad for a 10 year old sim!!

cheers,

Pobs

Edited by Pobs (03/25/08 07:20 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479010 - 03/25/08 11:46 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: iron mike]
Col. Gibbon Offline

91 lurking at nearly twenty to midnight! It's got to be some sort of record for EAW in recent years. Just a shame, more don't come out of the clouds and show themselves, or are they too embarrassed to post here, because they left here for greener pastures, or the dark side? Don't be that way guys, either way, we'd just like to say howdy again. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479100 - 03/26/08 01:48 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Conrad B Offline

Well ,I had to give up on EAW with XP. I tried the procedures that others had listed, but alas poor EAW, I knew it well.

So I just recently built a new rig, SLi GeForce 8800 GTS 512's and the works Even a Core 2 Extreme x9650 Quadcore @3 Ghz, and 4 gigs of ram. So just for $#!^$ and giggles I put the EAW disk in the computer, and the loadup screen appears, I click the button to install, fully expecting an incompatable with Vista message, when low and behold, the flippin' thing installs without a hitch. No special process required. And my copy of Vista is a 64 bit version.

So I added the patch, and some artfiles to test the game out and it works just fine. The only thing is that occasionally , I still get the alt+n ctd even though the game is patched, but the cool thing is, I have extra squads at 3 in the ini file, and it's as smooth as glass, even with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 on my 28 inch widescreen. And it doesn't distort the picture at that resolution. But the 256 graphics are beginning to show their outdateness. At least I can have fun with this little gem after how many yearsnow, something like 10 years. Goes to show what a good well thought out sim can do for longevity. Even if it did need a patch, and fan additions, which helped to enhance it.

I think BoB II will turn out the same way, as will SH4. Just good games at heart, but fantastic when the community jumps in to improve and enhance it.

That's why you're going up with me..........

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479286 - 03/26/08 07:38 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Conrad B]
Wudpecker Offline

Congrats, Conrad.
I am sure there are lurkers aplenty waiting for you to fly online! (after doing a few tuneups to your skills, of course).

Gibbs---A check of the number of hits shows what everyone is looking at.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479290 - 03/26/08 07:47 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Wudpecker]
Headwax. Offline

Loc: Oz
Gee you guys will complain about anything \:\)

Too many lurkers, not enough lurkers, just the right number of lurkers....

And now you want us to say something?

I refuse. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479319 - 03/26/08 09:25 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Headwax.]
Wudpecker Offline

Right, Headwax. Let's just call them our "audience"

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479491 - 03/26/08 02:52 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Wudpecker]
Skylark Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hi Headwax,

It wasn't really a 'Complaint' but sort of more like an 'Observation'

Cheers mate

http://www.sandbaggereaw.com/skylark.html

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479616 - 03/26/08 05:26 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Conrad B]
Col. Gibbon Offline

[quote=Conrad B]But the 256 graphics are beginning to show their outdateness. [quote]

Hi there and welcome back to the EAW community. We have known for a while that Vista, with the latest card drivers will run EAW almost faultlessly.

One of the things we are planning to fix for the 1.3 exe is the pallet limitations. The problem with EAW, is not so much the 8 bit graphics, it's the fixed pallets we have to work within. We have top be careful in what we do with the pallets, but we are hoping to come up with a solution which will allow us to run the old 8 bit skins, and a newer format in maybe 24bit. In the mean time, were sure the soon to be released 1.28 exe will keep you happy for the foreseeable future. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479708 - 03/26/08 07:31 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Boilerplate* Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
I lurk here from time to time.

But I'm thinking that doesn't count... ;\)

ps

Conrad B? There was a Conrad Burns who used to do the Farm Report in Montana years ago...

Naw.. Couldn't be.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479960 - 03/27/08 12:48 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Boilerplate*]
Headwax. Offline

Loc: Oz
Hi Skylark.

I knew it wasn't a complaint. Just kidding \:\)

Wudddy is right.

We are the audience. It's been a long time since I lurked, just popped inn to see what was happening. I don't mind posting, but I don't have a lot to say. I have some wwi art somewhere Sopwith Camel and an observation balloon, and a small avi I made on spitfires (kind of dream like) so I'll put that here.... so I have something to say \:\)

I'll dedicate it the posters on this f0rum. If you watch it you will understand why!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlcUcwb92rA 343

cheers from the audience ;\)

Edited by Headwax. (03/27/08 09:07 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479980 - 03/27/08 01:29 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Conrad B Offline

Thanks Col. Gibbons for the progress info!

The outdated graphics are easy enough to overlook. I have liked this sim since day 1. And I bought it back in '98 I think. The first sim to have a dynamic campaign since the original RedBaron, and the Aces series from Dynamix. And like it's earlier counterparts, it was a simulator, and not an arcade game. The only thing the newer sims have over EAW is the bigger pallette which I see you folks are working on, and the other thing would be moving control surfaces, but that may be too much to try and ask the sim to recreate, as there would have to be some heavy duty coding going on there.

You wouldn't possibly have any ideas as to why I still get the occasional CTD when using the alt + n key combo, would you. As I do have the official patch for the game. If it's a bug with vista that's fine as it doesn't happen all the time, just ocassionally.

That's why you're going up with me..........

Top Bookmark and Share
#2479985 - 03/27/08 01:36 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Conrad B]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Hi Conrad B.

No I don't, but if you make a new post on the subject, it might be something that's been heard of, and there is a fix for. On the other hand, if it's something new, I dare say some of the guys might look into it for you. ;\)

BTW. Moving surfaces is another thing on the list of things to do. ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2480393 - 03/27/08 05:56 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
Pathfinder Offline

Loc: Romford, Essex, UK.
Nothing like a nice bit of lurking hee hee

UTRINQUE PARATUS!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2481363 - 03/28/08 09:47 PM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Pathfinder]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Only 95 today, looks like were on the long slippery slope too oblivion

Top Bookmark and Share
#2481668 - 03/29/08 09:30 AM Re: Something strange is going on [Re: Col. Gibbon]
mikew Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: Col. Gibbon
Hi mikew.

Nice to see you here. \:\)

It might have something to do with the bad weather we are having this Easter, in the UK? I don't know, but it seems to have been getting very busy here recently, and not many new faces to account for the 70 viewers I saw today.

I've got a copy of F22 some where in my collection, but I'm not really a fan of Bunsen burners. \:D What's the state of modding of F22 these days. Is there much going on? We are always looking for textures & terrains to adapt, but I've never been able to unpick the texture files in F22. How do you get at them?

Our new exe, with a shed load of updates is due out around the **** of ******, so I hope you'll give it a go. ;\)

What a tease. \:D

Oj, I didn't expect an personal answer.

The terrain textures for TAW (Red Sea) and EF2000 (Scandinavia) could be converted I guess. Each tile is about 3 miles square in the game. The texture is 96x96 giving about 170 feet 'resolution'.
The palette only uses 6 bits each for R,G and B though.

This might have been useful to you a few years ago, but I see you've moved on to better things now.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.