Forum Archives » Complete » EAW » Do we all have
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2474146 - 03/20/08 01:30 AM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
sydbod Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
 Originally Posted By: VonBeerhofen
....... whereas you are implementing the Z buffer code. Do either of you have a clue what you're talking about? I sure hope you have some extra programming help from a real programmer.

Hi VBH,

At the moment we are not implementing the Z buffer, because there are other more pressing projects in the pipeline (like rewriting the menu frontend to finally put an end to the 7217 error problem).

In actual fact about whether we know what we are doing with the Z buffer.
We have a reasonably good idea, but in no way can we say that we have 100 knowledge of what it will fully entail.
There are many great articles and tutorials from various game libraries that give people a fairly competent overview of how these sort of things get done.

It would be great to have help from a so called real programmer to upgrade the EAW code, but tragically they all have to make a real living and none have the time to spare playing with such an old game.

As you have probably found out while doing your own projects:
"If you want something done, then do it yourself.
If you cant do it yourself, but want it done badly enough, then learn how to do it yourself."

The beauty of EAW, is that it has allowed many ordinary people to get a wide knowledge about things they previously never had a clue about, because they have had to find things out by themselves.

Regards sydbod \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2474173 - 03/20/08 01:44 AM Re: Do we all have [Re: sydbod]
VonBeerhofen Offline

Loc: Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Hi Sydbod,

I hope you find what you're searching for m8, I understand your quest, been there, done that. I allready found what I have been searching for so I can only wish you good luck with your efforts.
I hope you understand I have nothing personal against you as I believe you to be an honoust person, just don't let others mislead you by taking their promises or words for granted.
I wish I could help you with my knowledge but then again I also wish I'd get some help myself.
It is as you say "If you cant do it yourself, but want it done badly enough, then learn how to do it yourself".
It only took me 8 years to get some rudimentary knowledge on EAW (that is not counting the time it took me to learn programming and the languages I learned), hope you can do it a lot quicker.

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share

#2474344 - 03/20/08 04:44 AM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
sydbod Offline

Hi VBH,

Its good to see you are still beavering away with your work.
It was a shame that the community has split into two factions.....there is so much virgin ground that still requires exploring.
Anyway good luck with your endeavors. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2474362 - 03/20/08 05:13 AM Re: Do we all have [Re: sydbod]
VonBeerhofen Offline

Sydbod,

there aren't two factions as far as I'm concerned unless you consider the start of a split from the moment you came into the Launchpad, promised us a better way of using teamspeak and then running off with about 1/2 our pilots, while in effect you didn't offer anything at all did you?
I am just trying to keep the online community alive and if any .EXE is preferred over what I'm trying to create and keep alive then it will only take a second for me to change my strategy. You see that's the advantage of using a fully addaptable package, if I would give people a file in Launchpad with appropriate explanations why we're going this way they would immediately addapt. Still it's a communal choice so we're discussing our options allmost on a dayly basis.
These people have a choice and my choice depends on what they want, not on what I can create.
Just throw all you have at our pilots and we will discuss what way is the best way to go, you still will have a fair chance. Addapting a stategy of what I do to what you do will only take me a week or so but sofar none of us has seen anything worthwhile changing what I've provided.
This is not my choice but theirs, but if you want to change it you'd better come up with a good answer and realise that we're WWII pilots and not really interested in WWI squirmishes.
None of us bought Red Barron 3D you know and allthough a promising addon it's in the same realms as PTIII or DAW or SAW or even Von Oben's masterpiece FAW.
We are aware of what makes this game tick, you just make sure you can make it tick for us otherwise none of my group will be interested or will care to swap sides because of a nice package.
Our main goal is to give people a chance to play this game without having to become computer litterates and any package, no matter how sophisticated which will try to change this, is rejected by our members on forehand.
Make it easy and usefull and we may consider it as a viable option but forgive us when we discuss our options first. Ofcourse our members are willing to give you proper feedback on this subject just as long as they're not being attacked on their decisions, because we control what we're doing, even if that means they're listening more to me then to you. But we all have a word to say where this is going so I listen to them and not to you or anyone else.
If they would decide it's not worth staying then the group may reconsider it's options as all we want is to get more pilots and maintain the fun we're currently having. So you see it's all up to your team and we will take it from there. Just keep your goons of my neck when I am spending my time and trying my best to improve thise game with the knowledge I have and let the people decide what they want instead of telling them that the 1.26E patch is all you need to solve your problems.
You may understand that by now no 1.26E patch is accepted in the Launchpad and the cheatcheck will recognise the patch as not compattible. Is this where you guys want to go? I don't and I don't want to split this community either.
I am still on the 1.2 path because I believe in it, if you don't then that's fine with me but stop attacking my creations as it's as much an effort on improving this game as what you're trying to do.

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share
#2474464 - 03/20/08 10:56 AM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
sydbod Offline

Hi VBH,

It is a shame you still believe there is competition between you and me. In truth, the only person I ever compete with is myself.
I never thought of myself as a GODFATHER with all these goons at my beck and calling. I am quiet flattered that you think me to have so much power and influence. Thanks for that....now I am getting a swollen head..... but in all truth my so called goons pay as little notice to what I say as to what you say.... \:\(
It looks like they have a mind of their own.
I am glad you are still active.
I do wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Regards sydbod \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2474507 - 03/20/08 12:31 PM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
MrJelly Offline

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia
Repeat post due to lack of response- probably sidetracked by other posts, but I'm still curious:

Quote:

...for pointing out a common problem in the game and offering a solution.

I can see where you pointed out the problem, but I cannot see where you offered a solution.

;\) Jel

It's great to be of an age at which I do not have to suffer fools gladly \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2474845 - 03/20/08 05:06 PM Re: Do we all have [Re: MrJelly]
VonBeerhofen Offline

I wanted to but no one had ever seen the problem, the Col. called it nitpicking and started spewing phenom, so I didn't. Perhaps some other time when I release one of my campaigns.

VonBeerhofen

Top Bookmark and Share

#2474872 - 03/20/08 05:25 PM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Loc: Fleet, Hampshire, England.
I wanted to but no one had ever seen the problem, the Col. called it nitpicking and started spewing phenom, so I didn't. Perhaps some other time when I release one of my campaigns.

VonBeerhofen

And there was me thinking, you never took anything I say seriously.

Come on now, surely you found the problem, and you haven't got a fix to pull out of the hat?

Everyone is waiting and watching.

At home, with my loving wife Kasia and children, Thomas, Jessica & little Nicola. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475182 - 03/20/08 11:33 PM Re: Do we all have [Re: Col. Gibbon]
VonBeerhofen Offline

Ofcourse I have, \:\) and it looks much better, thx. Ofcourse I'm not taking anything you say seriously, we all know by now what you're trying to accomplish and after all when have you ever taken anything I wrote seriously.

VBH

Top Bookmark and Share
#2475184 - 03/20/08 11:36 PM Re: Do we all have [Re: VonBeerhofen]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Loc: Fleet, Hampshire, England.
Ofcourse I have, \:\)

VBH

And the download link is?

At home, with my loving wife Kasia and children, Thomas, Jessica & little Nicola. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.