Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Question about AI in WOI vs WOE
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2469010 - 03/13/08 03:26 PM Question about AI in WOI vs WOE
arthur666 Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I was wondering how much the AI has been improved over the older games. I read the review, and I hope "more aggresive" means somewhat believable. I don't want to spend another $30 on WOI if the dogfight degrade into chasing enemies in a circle until you get into a good firing position. I want to love WOE, especially the early campaign, but the gun fights are just really boring. Also, I hope I could import my WOE planes, campaigns and terrain into WOI to take advantage of any AI upgrades. For me, a Central Europe cold war showdown is the most atractive flight sim theatre imaginable.

Edited by arthur666 (03/13/08 03:27 PM)
Sims: GTR2, GTL, SFP1 thru WOI, F4:AF, EECH, IL2:1946, Arma

Top Bookmark and Share
#2469340 - 03/13/08 09:53 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: arthur666]
tflash Offline

Loc: Belgium
Arthur666,

There are many improvements in WOI that enhance gameplay:

- even more refined FM's with now post-stall info;
- better weapon performance modelling;
- greatly enhanced AI, eg. they can do beaming manoevres against radar lock;
- it is much, much harder to get a kill with the Sparrow;
- heater kill requires right angle;
- LCOS / CCIP pipper has much improved precision;
- Mirage 3C, Nesher and Kfir are really challenging to fly;
- F-15A and F-16A are a dogfight's dream come true.

WOI simply is what SFP1 always should have been. If you like WOE, you will love WOI!

Top Bookmark and Share

#2469486 - 03/14/08 01:08 AM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: tflash]
Toonsis Offline

Loc: Orange County, New York
Does the Migs AI have a "time limit" that when reached they will break off the action
I have the same feeling that the Migs just circle around until they die
Those improvements, while apreaciated, didnt really answer Arthur's question

I read some real world accounts where the pilot says things went from a sky full of aircraft to an empty sky in a matter of seconds.

Could "more aggressive" also mean knowing when to bug out ?
Could "more aggressive" also mean the Migs will be in one area, leading an over aggressive IAF flight into an AAA/SAM trap ?
Could "more aggressive" also mean the Mig-21s make one pass, Fire, and go ?
Could "more aggressive" also mean the migs show up late ? i.e. I reached the mission objectives and now must quickly decide if I should haggle with the migs or realize my fuel is somewhat low

I have low flight time right now but I like the sim. I feel simular to Arthur666 where the migs almost always show up right before my target ( as if they were in the briefing room with me ) and circle until they die.

5 kill ace status would mean so much more if it had to be earned over 15-20 missions. Good decisions would be as important as good B.F.M.

Does a mig have to die everytime out for the gamer to consider this a hot combat sim ?

Top Bookmark and Share
#2469694 - 03/14/08 12:11 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: Toonsis]
Brain32 Offline

Loc: Croatia
Trust me AI is quite different now, I'm flying Mirage3 CJ in a SixDay War campaign, I did made an Ace status in about 5-6 missions however I was extremely agressive and I had some luck, the MiG-21 kill was not so easy at all we went up we went down we turned we looped he made me overshoot him twice and I had the "green stuff" passing around my plane, finally I took him seriously and got him in a tight scissors fight.

MiG-17's are a bit more prone to turnfighting(logically as that is their strenght), but as soon as you brake off the turn and level off, they will be on you full throtthle and you will need burners to get away!

Hunters are pretty tuff too, turn like hell and will make you overshoot easily. In last mission I met 4 of them, shot 1 just barely and decided it's time to pick up my wingman and run for home.

Also what totally struck me by suprise was - THEY WORK TOGETHER
I was downright shocked when I saw a mig go into a high speed climb, thinking n00b you will stall infront of my guns, only to have another MiG close on my six going full guns on me

All in all, WOI is really awsome so far \:D

Top Bookmark and Share
#2469704 - 03/14/08 12:32 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: Brain32]
Heretic Offline

Loc: Germany
 Originally Posted By: Brain32
Also what totally struck me by suprise was - THEY WORK TOGETHER
I was downright shocked when I saw a mig go into a high speed climb, thinking n00b you will stall infront of my guns, only to have another MiG close on my six going full guns on me

They already do that in SF. Not often, but they do it!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2469911 - 03/14/08 03:46 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: Heretic]
arthur666 Offline

Loc: Chapel Hill, NC
I dwnlded last night. Still just messing around with single missions to get the controls and graphics dialed in. This thing brings my system to a crawl! And the controls are definitely a little twitchier than WOE/SFP1. The new flight model is great. I actually spun out the Mirage! Wasn't expecting that. Recovered right before I smacked the ground.
The high quality F-16 is almost worth $30 for me.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2469994 - 03/14/08 05:40 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: arthur666]
IceManHG Offline

Loc: San Diego
 Originally Posted By: arthur666

High quality? Thats not what I would say about the F-16 in this sim. Its fun to fly the "A" model, but the pit looks like crap, its non clickable, and the avionics are as simplified as they get. The actual physical model itself is nice. Maybe thats what you ment.

But ive been spoiled by Allied Force.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2470037 - 03/14/08 06:44 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: IceManHG]
jimbib Offline

You understand that TK doesn't have tucks of money to fritter away on pointless eye candy like flicking a switch with your mouse?

Oh wait, cos what I'm gonna do that when flying in my F-16 is pick up a mouse and flick a switch with it.

Next.

Edited by jimbib (03/14/08 06:44 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470045 - 03/14/08 06:52 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: jimbib]
tflash Offline

The Migs DO seem to try to lure you over airfield AAA. I noticed it a couple of times.

And the are a lot of people playing Allied Force without being spoiled by it ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470050 - 03/14/08 07:04 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: IceManHG]
MigBuster Offline

Loc: UK
 Originally Posted By: IceManHG
 Originally Posted By: arthur666

High quality? Thats not what I would say about the F-16 in this sim. Its fun to fly the "A" model, but the pit looks like crap, its non clickable, and the avionics are as simplified as they get. The actual physical model itself is nice. Maybe thats what you ment.

But ive been spoiled by Allied Force.

The 3D model is better than F4s certainly - and the 3D pit is better than the stock AF 3D pit also IMO - but AF is soo flippin good it shows that graphics mean JS in the big scheme of things.

the F-16 was conceived as a simple guns and Sidewinders dogfighter which is how its portrayed and is at the right level in WOI. The Block 5 and 10 are miles away from the blocks portrayed in F4 anyway.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470057 - 03/14/08 07:15 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: jimbib]
IceManHG Offline

Originally Posted By: jimbib
You understand that TK doesn't have tucks of money to fritter away on pointless eye candy like flicking a switch with your mouse?

Oh wait, cos what I'm gonna do that when flying in my F-16 is pick up a mouse and flick a switch with it.

Next.

Same can be said about using a keyboard for everything. Just like a real F-16 right? For me at least, having a clickable pit increases the immersion I feel when flying the sim. But I guess for you thats pointless eye candy.

Edited by IceManHG (03/14/08 07:22 PM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470060 - 03/14/08 07:20 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: MigBuster]
IceManHG Offline

Quote:

the F-16 was conceived as a simple guns and Sidewinders dogfighter which is how its portrayed and is at the right level in WOI. The Block 5 and 10 are miles away from the blocks portrayed in F4 anyway.

I will agree with that. I do enjoy flying the F-16A at the technological level it was designed to be in the first place.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470089 - 03/14/08 08:15 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: IceManHG]
tflash Offline

He guys, on the AI, its seems there are very interesting modding capabilities, addressing much of the concerns expressed heer. look at this thread at TK's site:

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5178

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470090 - 03/14/08 08:16 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: IceManHG]
Toonsis Offline

Loc: Orange County, New York
Ok, back to "Question about AI in WOI vs WOE"

Top Bookmark and Share
#2470092 - 03/14/08 08:18 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: Toonsis]
tflash Offline

Our posts must have crossed ;\)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2471291 - 03/16/08 09:30 PM Re: Question about AI in WOI vs WOE [Re: IceManHG]
jimbib Offline

Originally Posted By: IceManHG

Same can be said about using a keyboard for everything. Just like a real F-16 right? For me at least, having a clickable pit increases the immersion I feel when flying the sim. But I guess for you thats pointless eye candy.

Not really, I can use a HOTAS setup with pedals and multi-functional-displays to control everything instead if I choose to. For the cockpit mouse clicking, it doesn't change in terms of the input, thus why it's kind of there just for show.

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.