Forum Archives » Complete » Community Hall » Will the gamer bashing ever end?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2442177 - 02/06/08 06:57 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re: Vulgus]
BeachAV8R Offline
Aviation & Air Combat Co-Editor
Lifer

Loc: Charlotte, NC USA
Please, please...everyone stay home playing video games! \:D

Originally Posted By: Vulgus
Yeah really, a big ongoing stink around here is that Yosemite National Park has for many years now been too overcrowded, too many cars up there, too much negative environmental impact, etc.

Yosemite is an interesting example of a simultaneous National Park Service success and failure. It is such an incredibly beautiful place that the war between access and preservation is a constantly shifting battle. The smog, trash, and feeling of being in the middle of rush hour during the peak summer months contrasts so sharply with the amazing scenery around you. The same can be said for a lot of the more popular National Parks (Rocky Mountain National Park). The nice thing, as a hiker anyway, is that generally you can walk about 500 meters up any trail at a National Park and you will be in solitude once again. Most of the people who visit National Parks these days are "roll down the window and take a picture" visitors who define access as being wherever the road takes them.

I really don't see a correlation with video games and park attendance..not that I've been conducting a survey or anything. I think we are seeing less people in the wilderness part due to technology in general and the feeling of connectivity the current generation is growing up with. My nieces came to visit us this year (ages 11 and 14) and they were constantly buried in their cell phones texting their friends back home. I finally had to make a rule that no cell phones were allowed at the dinner table...and frankly, if they were my girls I would have put them on a texting plan that gave them a limit per month so they could learn a little about budgeting. (I'd make a terrible parent..one of those iron fisted ones that has their kids rebelling in their teen years..hehe..)

The other big factor, I think, in a reduction (if there is indeed one) of people experiencing the great outdoors is the cost of getting there. I drive a Honda CRX...so I get about 42 miles per gallon. My girlfriend drives an XTerra..and she gets about 18 miles per gallon (ouch!). At $3.00 a gallon for gas, even though I drive a pretty fuel efficient car, I have to think carefully about how far I want to travel when I take my hiking trips. For instance, last weekend we nixed a plan to drive about 3 hours away to go hiking and instead went to a more local place about 45 minutes away..mostly due to the fuel cost consideration. I think as the economy cools we'll see more and more of that...decisions to stay home instead of driving somewhere for vacation..or more local entertainment than distant travels.

Last weekend, when my brother and I went hiking up Mount Mitchell, we didn't see a single other person over the course of 2 days except for a few guys picking plants as we exited the trail. Granted..it was about 25 degrees out in mid-winter..but there are still places of solitude out there if you are willing to get out of the car and do some walking.

BeachAV8R

Top Bookmark and Share
#2442216 - 02/06/08 08:20 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re: BeachAV8R]
NoUseForAName Offline

Loc: Oregon a.k.a. Northern Califor...
i agree with Beach: did they ever think about the economy??? oil prices are highest ever, most people cant even take a day off for sick leave much less vacation, and they wonder why no one is driving possibly hundreds of miles to go camping or whatever.

so i say...STAY HOME!! when i go camping the last thing i want to do is fight for a camp spot, much less see anyone else.

but what really gets me is these fools that buy 35+ foot motorhomes with their SUV on a trailer with a loud-ass generator, satellite, big-screen tv, computer w/ internet connection, etc; and they pull those damn things into a beautiful spot in the mountains to go "camping"...

Top Bookmark and Share

#2442222 - 02/06/08 08:28 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re: NoUseForAName]
       +G      Offline

LOL, so true. Then they camp 5' from the next guy. May as well set up a tent in your back yard!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2442223 - 02/06/08 08:32 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re:        +G     ]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
You could always go camping in the New Mexico desert. Not many people there at all.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2442236 - 02/06/08 08:49 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re: PanzerMeyer]
       +G      Offline

I hear that Nevada/New Mexico are taking a fair share of Canadian Snow Birds now, less are choosing Florida.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2442244 - 02/06/08 08:57 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re:        +G     ]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Miami, FL USA
 Originally Posted By:        +G     
less are choosing Florida.

Smart move on their part. The cost of living in Florida has skyrocketed over the past 8 years or so.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2442317 - 02/06/08 10:18 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re: krise madsen]
guod Offline

Loc: 11th Floor, SimHQ Towers
 Originally Posted By: krise madsen
We should run a pool on when video games (sic) are blamed for global warming, AIDS and 9/11...

Respectfully

krise madsen

Didn't they find a flight sim in one of the 9/11 terrorist's apartments and some people we trying to connect the dots?

And all that energy being wasted on computers. If they didn't exist we wouldn't need all those extra resources just to play games.

Now AIDS, that might be a bit more difficult to blame on computer gaming. Maybe.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2442323 - 02/06/08 10:22 PM Re: Will the gamer bashing ever end? [Re:        +G     ]
Patrocles Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
 Originally Posted By:        +G     
Now we all suddenly have Videophilia? Well not all, but how quaint. Kinda rhymes with another philia. Man this pisses me off. These guys have gameaphobia.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/02/05/nature.interest.ap/index.html

I give hundreds of dollars a year for wildlife preservation, I love nature.
I have reasons why I'm sedentary, some here know them.

This artical and that Nevada tax grab suggestion are the biggest bunch of B$ I've read this year. IMO they are looking at the lost revenue as a negative, true, but they are also missing a big positive. We have, what 9+ billion consumers on this planet, if we suddenly all decided to become nature freaks, going outdoors every weekend and doing what we do best, do you think there would be any "real" nature left?

I can see some of their concerns, but if anything we should be restricting access to more and more natural areas and leave nature alone for a change. Have dedicated "play areas" in the big blue room for mankind instead.

Anyhow, my rant for today.

Biophilia!
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
-Rudyard Kipling

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.