Forum Archives » Complete » Third Wire Series (SF) » Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#2224691 - 05/31/07 12:45 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: csevers]
RED 13 Offline

Loc: Brisbane,Queensland,Australia
Who cares,I probably won't buy,I'm content with what I have.But if Edward wants to charge that's his choice,just as we have a choice as well.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2224703 - 05/31/07 01:03 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: csevers]
Col. Gibbon Offline

Loc: Fleet, Hampshire, England.
Sorry Guys, if I butt in here. \:\)

As most of you know I'm a 3dz'er who works on EAW mods. Recently we have learned how to develop completely new 3dz's, which have no original MPS content. The work I put into these models, I classify as my hobby, despite the fact I don't have a job. Money is tight, but I've never thought of charging for my work.

Over here on SF, the culture of EAW modding I thought had continued, with freely available mods. With Edwards terrain tiles, now being payware, I hope this community is not going to go down the payware road.

It's a matter entirely up to the person, weather to charge or not, but you might just alienate people who would have tried this Sim, thus destroying the Community in the long run. Remember, like it or not, TK's series, EAW, and a lot of other Sims, do not have a vast following, like the Il-2 series, and MS2/3. The supporting Communities do their best to keep the interest going in their particular Sim, but charging might just be the straw which breaks the donkeys back.

At home, with my loving wife Kasia and children, Thomas, Jessica & little Nicola. \:\)

Top Bookmark and Share

#2225521 - 06/01/07 03:37 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: Col. Gibbon]
RED 13 Offline

Loc: Brisbane,Queensland,Australia
Well said Col,couldn't have said it better myself

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226285 - 06/02/07 09:52 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: RED 13]
NavyGuy06 Offline

Loc: FL
Well said Col. Hell thats why I havent bought a copy of any MSFS in about 4-6 years, cause all the addons went payware, I'm not going to spend as much or more then the game it self for one or two addons, thats just B.S. if you ask me, but thats just my opnion, and apparently the comunity as a whole dosent have a problem.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226358 - 06/03/07 12:29 AM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: NavyGuy06]
Tristan Offline

Loc: Chelsea, Michigan, USA
Oh, brother.

Folks, the last time I checked, the vast majority of add-ons for SFP1/WOV/WOE were free; look around a little. The amount of payware add-on material for the Thirdwire games barely qualifies as a blip on the proverbial radar screen. Besides, I think most people rate a game by how it stands on it's own, out-of-the-box; the mods are simply a bonus.

People are still making free stuff for EAW, but I wonder who cares, besides people who already own EAW. EAW modders are basically making things for each other now; the rest of the world have moved on to other games. You could make all the free stuff in the world for EAW and it wouldn't make any difference in EAW's (now basically zero-value) market position. I can't even find EAW in the Staples bargain bin anymore; that isn't because of a lack of free mods.

It'll be a while before the Thirdwire jet series ends up like EAW, simply because the *developer himself* keeps upgrading the games in that series. Another (free) upgrade pack is due out for SFP1, et al, this summer; thank you, TK. Third-party, freeware mods are nice, but they aren't what keep the series going, IMO. Developer support is the critical factor.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226391 - 06/03/07 02:10 AM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: Tristan]
the Dutchman Offline

Loc: Almere,Flevoland,the Netherlan...
Right!
I felt this one coming a mile away,that's what you get when you allow payware producers on this site,every a##hole tries to grab a buck!
He could have been straight from the beginning with us,instead moderators just let him advertise as much as he liked!
He should be banned for that!

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226410 - 06/03/07 03:24 AM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: the Dutchman]
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer

Loc: Washington state
Each to their own. If people want to start charging then it's up to them. They put in the time and effort so they deserve it. If you look around there is a lot of free stuff still out there that makes the game complete.

Dutchman
Check the rules and let me know which ones were broken. If you think it's SPAM then don't read the thread. I personally like the pictures that come from YAP. Call it advertising if you will. Either way it's about the Tripwire series so it belongs here.
If you don't like it...don't read it.

Fan of anyone in Nascar not driving a Camry.

Wondering around in the aftermath of Black Mesa East.

Top Bookmark and Share

#2226505 - 06/03/07 07:40 AM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: Stormtrooper]
the Dutchman Offline

Loc: Almere,Flevoland,the Netherlan...
I just think people who post stuff here to make money off it should obey to certain rules...that's all.
Posters of payware should be made clear how to behave.....

In a way it's the fault of the developer,TK does a marvellous job of continueing support with patches,but none adressed the terrain sofar,by doing that he can stop this!
It's the same with those HiTiles for Falcon AF just because thew default terrain looked so bad,there was an opportunity to make money off it....it's the same with these terrain tiles,i don't find them very spectacular at all,it's just because the default terrain leaves so much to be desired!

Edited by the Dutchman (06/03/07 11:05 AM)

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226599 - 06/03/07 02:02 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: the Dutchman]
20mm Offline

Forums Manager
Lifer

Loc: Tucson AZ
Let me carry further what Stormtrooper said.

Spam, at SimHQ, is some guy registering for the first time and hitting 20 forums with his great cell phone deals. He's not here for anything to do with our raison d’ętre, namely simulations, he really is just trying to make a buck. And we boot him, all the way out.

Contrast that with someone who knows and loves what we are all about.

Dutchman,
Although I am not a modder myself, and I don't have anything for sale, I do know a little about the subject of pay-for addons. Mostly because I've talked with some of the very best.

You mentioned HiTiles. My guess is if you asked Tom Waelti if he was getting rich off his HiTiles, for Falcon 4 or AF, he'd laugh very hard and very long. My SimHQ interview with Tom is here:

http://www.simhq.com/_air4/air_131a.html

How about Aeyes? Another Falcon guy, but everybody knows Aeyes' cockpit work, just like Tom's HiTiles, they're legendary. Oh, my interview with Aeyes is here:

http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_200a.html

Do you, or did you, mind when these guys promoted their work? I didn't, and I don't.

And I don't have a problem if Edward Esiler feels he's gone through a whole lot of work and it would be nice if he could get paid a little for it. If people want to, and that's key. No one is being strong-armed here, it's simply the simulation market at play. Like what you see? Think it's worth a little money? Great, go for it. Not sure, or don't want it, don't get it.

I'll tell you what aggravates me, and I've said it before. It's this "Greed" thing people throw around. Like these folks are making so much money, they'll be buying a new house soon with the profits. LOL! That is incredibly ignorant.

At most, it's a bit of an offset for all the time, all the effort, the late nights, the research, the trying and failing and trying again, just to get it right for an audience that is clearly among the most nit picky on Planet Earth. And I'll guarantee you, these same people have offered up other of their efforts for free for a long time. Got nothing for it. Maybe a "gee it looks great!", along with "hey, I don't know if you know, but that rivet hasn't been in that location on that aircraft in that model for 3 years. Not that I'm complaining...etc"

I say, more power to them.
Forever United States Army Ranger.

Top Bookmark and Share
#2226749 - 06/03/07 06:00 PM Re: Edward Eisler terrains released at RAZBAM [Re: 20mm]
RussoUK2002 Offline

Loc: cardiff,south wales UK
I,as you may have gathered,arent a fan of payware...but that aside....I know there are guys here who can do as good a job with terrains who will no doubt produce the goods too...I hope to try and master terrains as theres loadsa stuff out there to make them...perhaps YOU could learn to do them to?....dont get this post wrong...I dont mean...dont moan,you do it.....I mean...try and learn to make terrains etc,theres plenty of help hereabouts....im sure Gepard and deuces would assist in the teaching new terrain modders?..
cheers
Russ
http://telfordlightinfantry.org

Top Bookmark and Share
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement | SimHQ Staff
Copyright 1997-2012, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.